Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
profizzle

Postby profizzle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwrash

Re: Can Feb LSATers still ED to UVA?

Postby jwrash » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

ED to UVA next cycle and you're definitely in.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 am

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 am

you would be better off applying next cycle. With your grades and score you are in line for some scholarship offers from other schools. Are you sure you willbe okay paying sticker at UVA? If you are, and would take UVA over a school offering you a decent scholarship, then ED. If you would consider the scholarship,then do not ED. Once you are accepted ED, your choices are go, or dont go to law school.

Really think it through before you sign on the dotted line.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 am

profizzle wrote:Even out of state. a 3.95 166/167 app submitted in early Sept is a lock?

as close to a lock as you can get, yes

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:51 am

UVA will probably need to start releasing more decisions to RD'ers who applied early before the March deadline (just a guess). I think that will dilute or eliminate the advantage of ED, since they decide how many offers to make based on how many seats they need to fill. If you got in it would probably be off the waitlist if they needed another high GPA. to bump the median.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 am

Last edited by profizzle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Only reason I could think of to apply ED to UVA this cycle was w. a 166/167 would give me ~30% chance? of getting in during this cycle (applying March 1 ish) vs. 0% chance if I don't do it. Since it doesn't sound like I would be adversely affected by doing this during an ED in September for the next cycle- I just don't see the downside since I'm happy w sticker at MVP (other than retaking --> getting >170 --> profiting).

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

profizzle wrote:Only reason I could think of to apply ED to UVA this cycle was w. a 166/167 would give me ~30% chance? of getting in during this cycle (applying March 1 ish) vs. 0% chance if I don't do it. Since it doesn't sound like I would be adversely affected by doing this during an ED in September for the next cycle- I just don't see the downside since I'm happy w sticker at MVP (other than retaking --> getting >170 --> profiting).

Ask for a fee waiver now and hopefully they will give you one. Can't hurt to spend $12 if you really want to go in 2011.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:20 am

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:43 am

My answer to your question is a question that you need to answer for yourself. HOw dead set are you in starting law school this fall? If you score well enough on the february test, have everything ready to go, you can send the ED form in on the way home from the test. If you just "really want to go to UVA" and are willing to wait until the fall 2012 to start classes, then take the test, and send in the application on the first day of the next cycle. ALthough, if you get your scores back, and use the summer to visit the campus, and figure out what other schools you would consider attending, you may decide to see how the rest of your cycle goes befoe choosing a school to attend. Remember, once you ED to a school, and are accepted, your choices now become either A) Go to that school, or B) dont go to law school that cycle. You dont have the option of negotiating a scholarship offer, even if you get a full ride plus extra at a peer school. If that makes you stop in your tracks and think otherwise, then do not ed anywhere. Also, if your numbers are really good, you may get in with a RD application ( and thus have the option of going, but not the Requirement to attend the school).

Also: I just re read your original post. You say that you love your current job. How much do you love UVA? Why not wait until next cycle, work and get some more money saved up, and apply to a wide range of schools. Im sure you will get a nice scholarship offer, and can go to school for next to nothing. IF you love the job, you need to calculate the total cost of attending school ( loss of job plus benefits,and happiness factor that come with the job + stress and cost of attending law school).

TL: DR. Take the time to figure out what you really want out of law school and your career, and apply next cycle. Decide wheter or not ED is right for you, and if UVA is worth the total cost,once you include all factors including lifestyle change, loss of a job you like, plus cost of uva over possible scholarships at other schools)

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Thx Northwood. You sound like a really cool poster. I think I am going to wait out until next cycle if I get >167 and I'll ED to Chi or wait and try and see if I can get $$. Current job is 45-50k, 40hr, low stress, and I really like it. It's just, on the off chance I get 165-167- UVA ED is prolly (certainly) my best shot at t10 (barring a hail mary @ Boalt), and if I can lock that in this cycle w a late ED app, I want to do that. Even on only the 30% chance they need another high GPA to boost medians, it beats a 0% chance if I don't do it, and regardless I can just try and ED again in Sept with that score (provided I don't score higher in June) . Ultimately, I want Los Angeles BigLaw (very strong ties to SF; weak ties to Los Angeles). Yup, I know I'll need top 1/3 to pull the move to CA off; plan on following XEOH's guide to the letter.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 pm

profizzle wrote:Thx Northwood. You sound like a really cool poster. I think I am going to wait out until next cycle if I get >167 and I'll ED to Chi or wait and try and see if I can get $$. Current job is 45-50k, 40hr, low stress, and I really like it. It's just, on the off chance I get 165-167- UVA ED is prolly (certainly) my best shot at t10 (barring a hail mary @ Boalt), and if I can lock that in this cycle w a late ED app, I want to do that. Even on only the 30% chance they need another high GPA to boost medians, it beats a 0% chance if I don't do it, and regardless I can just try and ED again in Sept with that score (provided I don't score higher in June) . Ultimately, I want Los Angeles BigLaw (very strong ties to SF; weak ties to Los Angeles). Yup, I know I'll need top 1/3 to pull the move to CA off; plan on following XEOH's guide to the letter.

If you want LA BigLaw, apply to UCLA/USC next cycle - I am guessing you might even get some $$ even with your LSAT 166-167 - and study your ass off to stay at the top of your class there. You will probably get LA B.L. and have less debt to carry around, plus you'll already be familiar with the area.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

profizzle wrote:Thx Northwood. You sound like a really cool poster. I think I am going to wait out until next cycle if I get >167 and I'll ED to Chi or wait and try and see if I can get $$. Current job is 45-50k, 40hr, low stress, and I really like it. It's just, on the off chance I get 165-167- UVA ED is prolly (certainly) my best shot at t10 (barring a hail mary @ Boalt), and if I can lock that in this cycle w a late ED app, I want to do that. Even on only the 30% chance they need another high GPA to boost medians, it beats a 0% chance if I don't do it, and regardless I can just try and ED again in Sept with that score (provided I don't score higher in June) . Ultimately, I want Los Angeles BigLaw (very strong ties to SF; weak ties to Los Angeles). Yup, I know I'll need top 1/3 to pull the move to CA off; plan on following XEOH's guide to the letter.

Northwood absolutely is one of the coolest posters on TLS!

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

ED UVA next cycle is lock. Folks with 4.0/161-162s on here got in.

profizzle

Postby profizzle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:09 pm

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 pm

yeah that seems a little low...probably urms or in states or people with crazy softs

Return to “What are my chances?”