Can I crack the T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
orangebluewhitered

New

Can I crack the T14?

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm

167/3.6 politics major at a small lac '10. Female non-URM. Summer internship at one of the big ACLU affiliates, another one with an international think tank, and random political internships. Stellar recommendations from 3 profs + dean of students and a solid essay. Currently on a teaching Fulbright to a EU country.

Can I crack the T14?

kwais

Gold

Re: Can I crack the T14?

Post by kwais » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I am inclined to think that the lower t-14 is in play. Maybe a the middle t-14 with a stellar PS. Good luck

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:43 pm

kwais wrote:I am inclined to think that the lower t-14 is in play. Maybe a the middle t-14 with a stellar PS. Good luck
No way. The only school you even have a slight possibility at is Cornell, and it isn't a very good one.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Maybe B because of holistic admissions ( http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Shaggier1 ).

Also, maybe Cornell or Georgetown. I saw a few acceptances at those schools in your number range.

But, TBH, the poster above may be overly optimistic. I would say your chances are fairly low.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm

orangebluewhitered wrote: Can I crack the T14?
Can you retake the LSAT?

If you look at LSN then it seems like your chances are reasonable with a Cornell EA and possible but unlikely at other "lower t-14" schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I would say no unless you retake your LSAT and jump at least 2 to 3 points

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm

I guess I am usually optimistic. Of course, OP should not count on anything. However, at those lower t-14 schools, 25% of the class is walking around with less than amazing numbers and I would reckon its people with softs like these. Plugging people into LSN and LSP is a good start but there's more to it.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm

kwais wrote:I guess I am usually optimistic. Of course, OP should not count on anything. However, at those lower t-14 schools, 25% of the class is walking around with less than amazing numbers and I would reckon its people with softs like these. Plugging people into LSN and LSP is a good start but there's more to it.
U.R.M.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Maybe B because of holistic admissions ( http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Shaggier1 ).

Also, maybe Cornell or Georgetown. I saw a few acceptances at those schools in your number range.

But, TBH, the poster above may be overly optimistic. I would say your chances are fairly low.
After last years GPA and LSAT drop, I think Berkeley's going to be a touch less "holistic."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:11 pm

kwais wrote:I guess I am usually optimistic. Of course, OP should not count on anything. However, at those lower t-14 schools, 25% of the class is walking around with less than amazing numbers and I would reckon its people with softs like these. Plugging people into LSN and LSP is a good start but there's more to it.
These softs aren't that good and all of these schools have around a 30% URM makeup. Most of these URM's will be below median in at least one of the two categories. And, then when you factor in splitters, there isn't room for people that are below median in both categories. Not unless they have something that looks great on the front page of the law school website, which, none of these softs really do.

orangebluewhitered

New

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 pm

Wow, stepped away for a few minutes and all this :) I really appreciate any response, seriously. There is no prelaw advising/community at my college and I have very few friends who are even thinking about law school, so I love all the advice I can get, even if it's harsh.

Yeah, no URM (white as a feather) but if I don't do any better this cycle I'm willing to retake this October after a summer of restudying. 167 is one of the more annoying LSAT scores you can get :) .

Some more info, since there's a lot of Cornell talk: I applied last year in February and actually got in (they notified me in late May, but a yes is a yes, right?). Cornell was the highest ranked school I got into.

I reapplied this cycle at a more reasonable time, with the ACLU thing and the Fulbright thing newly on my resume, one more professor recommendation, and a more interesting essay. I was also the student commencement speaker at my college which is obviously not prestigious per se, but will hopefully make me seem more interesting.

Perhaps I should have titled this thread, "Will these new softs help me this cycle?"
Last edited by orangebluewhitered on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:19 pm

orangebluewhitered wrote:Wow, stepped away for a few minutes and all this :) I really appreciate any response, seriously. There is no prelaw advising/community at my college and I have very few friends who are even thinking about law school, so I love all the advice I can get, even if it's harsh.

Yeah, no URM (white as a feather) but if I don't do any better this cycle I'm willing to retake this October after a summer of restudying. 167 is one of the more annoying LSAT scores you can get :) .

Some more info, since there's a lot of Cornell talk: I applied last year in February and actually got in (they notified me in late May, but a yes is a yes, right?). Cornell was the highest ranked school I got into.

I reapplied this cycle at a more reasonable time, with the ACLU thing and the Fulbright thing newly on my resume, one more professor recommendation, and a more interesting essay. I was also the student commencement speaker at my college which is obviously not prestigious per se, but will hopefully make me seem more interesting.

Perhaps I should have titled this thread, "Will these new softs help me this cycle?"
I'd expect pretty much the same outcome. Of course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:21 pm

The only way to find out is to apply. I lean toward the optimistic side.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Curry wrote:
U.R.M.
U.R.M.

OR

GPA at 4 or over

it basically has to be one or the other, at least for T10 i would think, or if you've got some crazy awesome PS at Michigan or Berkeley
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Impressive softs like yours can have a very strong impact on a person's cycle (despite TLS rhetoric). I think Cornell and G'Town are definitely in play, as several other posters have stated. But if you increase that LSAT score by a few points, things are going to start looking really good for you (1-6 might bite, 7-14 could throw money your way).

mrmangs

Silver

Post by mrmangs » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Berkeley and Cornell might be doable. I think it is possible for you to crack the T14, just not likely. GL with your cycle.

ILikeToBike

New

Post by ILikeToBike » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

I have a 167/3.75 and I'm in at Cornell. Don't lose hope.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Apply at lower T14 and Berk. Expect to not get in anywhere, except maybe Cornell.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Also, in light of your soft factor experience, you may want to thoroughly research each school to see if you match up with any particular programs & tailor your applications accordingly.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Can I just add one thing?

Everyone (including myself) keeps saying stuff like "You'll probably not get in anywhere... except, of course, Cornell."

Well I was just over this guy's house the other day, and he was a federal prosecutor who went to Cornell (turned down G'Town and Columbia I believe). Let me just say, this guy was LOADED. Cornell can = great success if you do it right.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Shooter wrote:Can I just add one thing?

Everyone (including myself) keeps saying stuff like "You'll probably not get in anywhere... except, of course, Cornell."

Well I was just over this guy's house the other day, and he was a federal prosecutor who went to Cornell (turned down G'Town and Columbia I believe). Let me just say, this guy was LOADED. Cornell can = great success if you do it right.
u mad?

Also, if he was a federal prosecutor and loaded, the money came from something besides his job. Note: loaded to me = very rich, not just making a good salary. Lastly, a good amount of people from Cornell will be very successful, it's just the easiest t14 to get into, by far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

orangebluewhitered

New

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Again, I was accepted to Cornell (eta for which I feel I have an appropriate amount of respect and admiration) very late last cycle-- I'm trying to get a sense of if I can do better with the same stats.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

u mad?

Also, if he was a federal prosecutor and loaded, the money came from something besides his job. Note: loaded to me = very rich, not just making a good salary. Lastly, a good amount of people from Cornell will be very successful, it's just the easiest t14 to get into, by far.
Lol, no I'm not mad. It was just an anecdote that I felt was relevant and obviously I have nowhere else to tell this story. Btw, the guy worked in a firm before switching over to the public sector, and his current salary is pretty high - a lot higher than I thought it would be, even for government work.

orangebluewhitered

New

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The only way to find out is to apply. I lean toward the optimistic side.
Thanks!

orangebluewhitered

New

Post by orangebluewhitered » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm

Shooter wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

u mad?

Lol, no I'm not mad. It was just an anecdote that I felt was relevant and obviously I have nowhere else to tell this story. Btw, the guy worked in a firm before switching over to the public sector, and his current salary is pretty high - a lot higher than I thought it would be, even for government work.
I definitely feel that- I went to a relatively low-ranked school and did well by being, essentially, scrappy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”