168 / ~3.94, 4.0 UGPA non-URM (next cycle)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawyerwannabe

Re: 168 / ~3.94, 4.0 UGPA non-URM (next cycle)

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:01 am

There is nothing, anywhere, that suggests the OP has anywhere near a good chance for $$$ from the lower T-14. I am very surprised that AreJay got $45k from UM. OP will probably get some of the lower T-14 but no money IMO.

As for the NYU ED thing, you might as well if it is your top choice (especially since B does not have ED). I cannot find anyone with your numbers that EDed. However, some people got in RD with your numbers. Also, if you look at the previous cycle, three applicants with a 169 LSAT got in with lower GPAs (cannot tell you exactly what that means). Best of luck if you decide to take this course of action.

Also, if NYU were to WL or reject you, you are no longer bound to that school and can explore the various other options you have.

Regarding UVA ED, that would be something of a last resort for the T-14 if you are dead set on attending a top institution but do not have UVA as your top choice because they do not have a deadline for ED (right?). However, I do not exactly understand what you mean by logic. I believe if you ED UVA, you would get in. But, like I said, it sounds like a last resort for you. I would go to a law school that you will feel comfortable in. You are going to have your choice of some great schools. Side note: I did not ED UVA because Duke was a better fit for me (where I EDed and will be attending in the Fall).

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 am

@paulina: since your GPA is a perfect 4.0, you may have received money with a 168 and would have most definitely have done so with a 169 (along with the $$ at the lower T-14, you would probably also have a CCN acceptance or two).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:There is nothing, anywhere, that suggests the OP has anywhere near a good chance for $$$ from the lower T-14. I am very surprised that AreJay got $45k from UM. OP will probably get some of the lower T-14 but no money IMO.

I agree with this, especially since OP was applying late in the game.

Any updates on how things are going OP? Personally, I think you should be up for big cash at Vanderbilt and you should strongly consider it.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:23 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Regarding UVA ED, that would be something of a last resort for the T-14 if you are dead set on attending a top institution but do not have UVA as your top choice because they do not have a deadline for ED (right?). However, I do not exactly understand what you mean by logic. I believe if you ED UVA, you would get in. But, like I said, it sounds like a last resort for you. I would go to a law school that you will feel comfortable in. You are going to have your choice of some great schools. Side note: I did not ED UVA because Duke was a better fit for me (where I EDed and will be attending in the Fall).

OP said this because i told him (?) he was a lock at UVA because his GPA was above 50th and his LSAT was between 25-50. for UVA you NEED one stat above 50th though otherwise you're a straight up reject in most cases i.e. without URM status. so the notion that anyone with really good #s can get in is false. you need that one high GPA or LSAT, but the catch is that UVA's medians are high compared to school right around it (like Michigan for example) and likely on the rise for next cycle considering what i have been seeing on TLS and LSN. got a 3.8/168? out at UVA ED. got a 4.0/168? in

ETA: also, as someone who is probably going to choose UVA over other t14s and t20 scholarships, that is a harsh analysis of UVA. last resort for the t14 if you are dead set on attending a top institution? come on dude. i take offense to that.
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:@paulina: since your GPA is a perfect 4.0, you may have received money with a 168 and would have most definitely have done so with a 169 (along with the $$ at the lower T-14, you would probably also have a CCN acceptance or two).

i know. but i jumped quite a bit on the real LSAT compared with my PTs (4 points from my highest PT. how? no idea) so i am not retaking that shit.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:29 am

if AreJay doesn't mind me speaking for him (hope not) I PMed him about this a while back and he has some pretty good softs to go with his solid #s. So if you ask him about it it will make more sense.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:05 am

romothesavior wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:There is nothing, anywhere, that suggests the OP has anywhere near a good chance for $$$ from the lower T-14. I am very surprised that AreJay got $45k from UM. OP will probably get some of the lower T-14 but no money IMO.

I agree with this, especially since OP was applying late in the game.

Any updates on how things are going OP? Personally, I think you should be up for big cash at Vanderbilt and you should strongly consider it.

Romo, sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, but I'm applying early next cycle (hopefully by the end of September). I'm just a junior in undergrad right now but took the December 2010 LSAT because I'm not going to be around for June. Also, I will definitely be applying to Vandy, and $ there would make for some very tough decisions if I do end up getting in at some of my other top choices.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

OP said this because i told him (?) he was a lock at UVA because his GPA was above 50th and his LSAT was between 25-50. for UVA you NEED one stat above 50th though otherwise you're a straight up reject in most cases i.e. without URM status. so the notion that anyone with really good #s can get in is false. you need that one high GPA or LSAT, but the catch is that UVA's medians are high compared to school right around it (like Michigan for example) and likely on the rise for next cycle considering what i have been seeing on TLS and LSN. got a 3.8/168? out at UVA ED. got a 4.0/168? in

ETA: also, as someone who is probably going to choose UVA over other t14s and t20 scholarships, that is a harsh analysis of UVA. last resort for the t14 if you are dead set on attending a top institution? come on dude. i take offense to that.

You misinterpreted what I said. I said "last resort for him" because it is not his top choice and you can ED anytime. UVA is a great school and many applicants' top choice (as it should be).

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:02 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
You misinterpreted what I said. I said "last resort for him" because it is not his top choice and you can ED anytime. UVA is a great school and many applicants' top choice (as it should be).

Oh yeah, UVA is definitely one of my top choices. My semi-possible preferences: 1) Boalt, 2) NYU, 3) UVA. Stanford would be my number 1 without the "semi-possible" qualification, haha.

With a strong environmental-oriented application, do you all think it's even worth the fee for Stanford? (I'm not trying to imply my application will be objectively "strong"--just curious about thoughts re my numbers and a demonstrated PI environmental interest on an app for S)

Return to “What are my chances?”