Really, what are my chances?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kkklick

Really, what are my chances?

Postby kkklick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:17 pm

3.47 overall (first semester had 3 terrible grades, 55, 61, 68, then transferred and had a 3.65 since then)
LSAT 3 times, 160, 161, 163.
Softs and PS are good, but it doesn't matter too much IMO.
Hoping to get into Canada but applying to US schools as a fail safe etc.

U of Illinois
U Colorado
U of Arizona
Notre Dame
U Pitts
Penn State
USC (I know I won't get in but my brother graduated from the general surgery program there and wants me to apply)
Wash U
U wash
U houston
U Maryland
UNC
U Minnesota
Cardozo

Safeties
SUNY buffalo
Creighton
Suffolk
Washburn
Wayne State

Any other Reaches that would be worth the chance to apply to with my numbers? Thanks

law4vus

Re: Really, what are my chances?

Postby law4vus » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:05 pm

kkklick wrote:3.47 overall (first semester had 3 terrible grades, 55, 61, 68, then transferred and had a 3.65 since then)
LSAT 3 times, 160, 161, 163.
Softs and PS are good, but it doesn't matter too much IMO.
Hoping to get into Canada but applying to US schools as a fail safe etc.

U of Illinois (Out, I got WL with a 3.3 167 and they tend to favor LSAT)
U Colorado (In/WL, you're at median LSAT and below median on GPA)
U of Arizona (WL/In)
Notre Dame (Out)
U Pitts (In)
Penn State (In)
USC (I know I won't get in but my brother graduated from the general surgery program there and wants me to apply) - yeah, probably out here as well.
Wash U - Out, need higher LSAT
U wash - WL
U houston - In
U Maryland - (WL, I did get in with 3.3 167 but I'm also a resident)
UNC (out)
U Minnesota (out)
Cardozo (In)

Safeties
SUNY buffalo
Creighton
Suffolk
Washburn
Wayne State

In at all safeties, IMO

Any other Reaches that would be worth the chance to apply to with my numbers? Thanks

- I'd shoot an app to Wash and Lee, Wake Forest, and American

Anacreon

Postby Anacreon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Why do you want to go to law school?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Anacreon wrote:Why do you want to go to law school?

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Thanks law4vus

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 pm

people on here love to hate but USD is a pretty solid school if you have any interest in living in san diego and don't care to much about biglaw. you might even get some money.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 am

FlanAl wrote:people on here love to hate but USD is a pretty solid school if you have any interest in living in san diego and don't care to much about biglaw. you might even get some money.

I did get a waiver from there definately will send in an app the cost of living/school is high, but if they throw some money my way that would make things interesting.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:33 am

you can get cost of living down if you're smart about it or commute from Mex. haha. their tuition is high but if you get some aid i think you should definitely consider it. it certainly places "well" in san diego

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 am

Do you want to end up in Canada? I'm guessing not. My understanding was that to practice in Canada you needed to go to a Canadian school (obviously because the legal system is different) but that it's still an option for graduates of some T14 american schools. But to be honest, this could be totally wrong, I'm just going off what I've heard.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 am

Also, I would shoot an app to Washington & Lee.

Also agree with Flanal, USD is a nice school in a nice city, and you'll probably get money. Worth an app.

Also, personally I would throw an app out to Lewis & Clark. You're not going to get biglaw, nor are you likely to place outside of Oregon if you go there. But most people love Portland (I do, great city---nay awesome city if you don't mind a little rain), they have awesome facilities, tuition isn't too bad (around $35k) and some people with your numbers have got some pretty heft scholarships in the past. Granted it's late, but worth a shot.

edit: for spelling

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:41 am

I agree that USD is a school worth an app and you'll likely get some money. Looking at LSN from last year, many people at or below your #'s got $45,000. Also, Miami may be worth a look as you're likely to get good $ there and it does well in it's market. Since you applied to Pitt and are likely to get in, Temple may be another option for that region, as is Case Western (you should get $$$ at each that may help offset their high tuition). Just my .02 and some possible peer schools in regions you're already looking at.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 am

maybe Maine? that school seems to have the state on lockdown and you're pretty close to Canada. Vermont maybe? I've definitely thought about both myself. haha yeah i've thought about L&C too I think that its a good call.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:44 am

man i'm surprised at how friendly this thread has been so far! Good luck to you OP with whatever schools you apply to and with your up coming cycle

ausoccer19

Postby ausoccer19 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 am

Also, Ohio State, Wisconsin, or Iowa may be worth apps since you're applying to some other mid-western schools. They'll be sticker though. And ASU since you're also looking at AU.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 am

FlanAl wrote:man i'm surprised at how friendly this thread has been so far! Good luck to you OP with whatever schools you apply to and with your up coming cycle

Just for saying that:

RETAKE :lol:

hjag

Postby hjag » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:39 am

kkklick wrote:
Anacreon wrote:Why do you want to go to law school?

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

+1

163 is a perfectly decent score. Like high 80s in the %ile.

I would say try Wake Forest. Maybe apply early next cycle, and write a lot of targeted essays.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Appreciate the input everybody, I decided to take out Notre Dame and Wash U after looking at LSN, still going to shoot an app to UNC as there were quite a few people with similar numbers to mine who got accepted in 09-10. Also threw in USD, Wake Forest and Wash&Lee. There goes $660... lol

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Do you want to end up in Canada? I'm guessing not. My understanding was that to practice in Canada you needed to go to a Canadian school (obviously because the legal system is different) but that it's still an option for graduates of some T14 american schools. But to be honest, this could be totally wrong, I'm just going off what I've heard.

You can work with a degree from any US school(there are grads from TTTT working in Canada) you do however have to pass NCA exam and you may be required to do extra training(up to redoing law school) at a Canadian law school. Over all if you want to do law in Canada you are FAR better off to go to any Canadian school as it MUCH cheaper (international tutions tops out in the low 30s for UofT while a citizen can get as low as 6K). kkklick where have you applied in Canada? I almost sure if you want Canada you will get into at lest a mid level school. (I would even say you would be 100% at UofS)

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

serdog wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:Do you want to end up in Canada? I'm guessing not. My understanding was that to practice in Canada you needed to go to a Canadian school (obviously because the legal system is different) but that it's still an option for graduates of some T14 american schools. But to be honest, this could be totally wrong, I'm just going off what I've heard.

You can work with a degree from any US school(there are grads from TTTT working in Canada) you do however have to pass NCA exam and you may be required to do extra training(up to redoing law school) at a Canadian law school. Over all if you want to do law in Canada you are FAR better off to go to any Canadian school as it MUCH cheaper (international tutions tops out in the low 30s for UofT while a citizen can get as low as 6K). kkklick where have you applied in Canada? I almost sure if you want Canada you will get into at lest a mid level school. (I would even say you would be 100% at UofS)

I applied in all of Ontario and BC, my best chance is looking like Windsor and Wester, with a shot at Queens and likely rejections from BC Oz and UofT. I REALLY want to go to Western and my grades are competitive enough, but it's such a crapshoot in Ontario that I don't even know what to think anymore.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:06 pm

I agree with you rejection :(. Think you in at Windsor maybe western and Uvic(depending on Drops and softs). IF you really want a Canada school as an option(and you do) I would drop one US school and use the time and money to apply to UofS(its 100% admission for you)

ETA you may want to add MSU and Hawaii as there joint JD are back doors to Ottawa and UBC respectively

Return to “What are my chances?”