Navy LEP/JAG Applicant Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

New

Navy LEP/JAG Applicant

Post by 082490 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:43 am

Hey all,

I have a quick question for anyone who has experience w/ the JAG Corps and the Navy's LEP Program. Someone who went through the program years ago encouraged me to apply to a lot of the top schools, despite being well below the median (160 LSAT and 3.3 Math major/Spanish minor from the Naval Academy in 2008). I submitted an addendum explaining that I was applying through Navy's LEP program (Navy pays all of my tuition and guarantees me a job as a JAG afterwards, if I am lucky enough to be selected). Just wondering if anyone knows whether being a LEP applicant pulls that much weight w/ the application process? Also, does applying w/ three years in and being active duty help?
FYI, I applied to UVA, G'Town, UPenn, Boalt, USD, William & Mary, George Washington, & UCLA. Thanks for any input!

akili

Gold

Re: Navy LEP/JAG Applicant

Post by akili » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 am

I don't know about the LEP program in particular, but military service is a strong soft. I'm not sure it'll bump you in to some of those huge reach schools, but it is far more impressive than just about any other soft.

This is complete speculation, but the LEP program *might* help you because the school automatically has a graduate emloyed after graduation before they even begin school. With the economy that might be a consideration. However, your LSAT is simply too low for all of those schools but USD and maaaaybe William & Mary (but your GPA kills you there)

Did you apply to safety schools as well? Does it matter where in the country you go? I would look at the University of Denver, Seattle U and a couple other solid Tier 2 schools in cities that you would want to live in for 3 years (if it doesn't matter)

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 am

Speaking as an Army FLEP selectee, so far I have performed exactly as my numbers would have suggested. I'm still waiting to hear back from one reach, but so far no big surprises.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:06 pm

eminem wrote:Speaking as an Army FLEP selectee, so far I have performed exactly as my numbers would have suggested. I'm still waiting to hear back from one reach, but so far no big surprises.
This is what I would have thought also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”