Applying next cycle 3.41/177 - Where should I apply?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oxygenate

Applying next cycle 3.41/177 - Where should I apply?

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:05 am

Other than 3.4/177, nothing special. Study abroad, MA, quadrilingual (actually fluent and not just resume exaggeration), work part-time teaching English, some club involvement.

Where should I apply for ED? Where should be my safety?

Does law school care that my major is self-designed by the way?

Will I have a chance at schollies?

Adjudicator

Re: Applying next cycle 3.4/177 - Where should I apply?

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 am

oxygenate wrote:Other than 3.4/177, nothing special. Study abroad, MA, quadrilingual (actually fluent and not just resume exaggeration), work part-time teaching English, some club involvement.

How much work experience do you have?

People are going to say "ED to UVA" and I can't disagree. And other than that, apply anywhere in the T14 that you are interested in. Harvard/Yale/Stanford are out because of your GPA, but you could give it a shot anyway.

And no, nobody will care about your major, at all.

oxygenate

Re: Applying next cycle 3.41/177 - Where should I apply?

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:10 am

No formal work exp. I went straight to a grad program after college.

What's my chance of ED success to UVA? I'm in-state, by the way. Went a four-year college in VA and had lived in VA even before that.
Last edited by oxygenate on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:11 am

Blanket the T14. I wouldn't ED anywhere, because you have a chance of a T6 acceptance or money at a lower T14.

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:12 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Blanket the T14. I wouldn't ED anywhere, because you have a chance of a T6 acceptance or money at a lower T14.

Thanks. How much money do you think I can get? I'm quite risk-averse...I have some debt from undergrad.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:12 am

oxygenate wrote:No formal work exp. I went straight to a grad program after college.

What's my chance of ED success to UVA? I'm in-state, by the way. Went a four-year college in VA and had lived in VA even before that.

You're in ED everywhere IMO. I wouldn't ED. Compare free money instead.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 am

oxygenate wrote:No formal work exp. I went straight to a grad program after college.

Can you get some? I wanna say NU really likes to see some, ideally in the 2 year range, although I'm not an expert.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

Your in at UVA instate possibly with money. You'll prob get 54 or 67.5k at mich. Other then that, its a crap shoot but you'll have some good options for sure. Wouldn't ed.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:16 am

Bedsole wrote:

Can you get some? I wanna say NU really likes to see some, ideally in the 2 year range, although I'm not an expert.

I don't think he cares about NU when he's from Virginia and will get CCN.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:19 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

I don't think he cares about NU when he's from Virginia and will get CCN.

I just figured more options = better. Especially for $$

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 am

My undergrad major isn't so marketable. My MA degree is not from the USA. So getting a job is hard.

I really like Columbia. What do you think are my chances at CLS?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 am

oxygenate wrote:My undergrad major isn't so marketable. My MA degree is not from the USA. So getting a job is hard.

I really like Columbia. What do you think are my chances at CLS?

Are you a URM? Probably pretty solid shot even if you aren't

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 am

I don't think Asian counts for URM. :(

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 am

oxygenate wrote:I don't think Asian counts for URM. :(

Not sure how splitter friendly Columbia is, but it's definitely worth an application fee to find out, I'd say.

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 am

Oh, and my GPA is slow because I switched major. Should I write an addendum admitting my incompetence in the other major? It turns out the new major was more enjoyable, and I had an upward, almost flawless GPA trend during the 2nd half of my college career.

Grades in MA are all in the 90 range. Will they take MA grades into account?

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:45 am

Bump. Does applying early, like in October, improve my chance at money or admission success? I will blanket all the T14. Which of the T14 like early applications?

Thanks guys.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:00 am

oxygenate wrote:Oh, and my GPA is slow because I switched major. Should I write an addendum admitting my incompetence in the other major? It turns out the new major was more enjoyable, and I had an upward, almost flawless GPA trend during the 2nd half of my college career.

Grades in MA are all in the 90 range. Will they take MA grades into account?

a) shameless bumping is bad
b) they don't care about your MA GPA
c) they'll see the upward trend
d) don't write a letter telling them you were incompetent. if you want to write an addendum, which may not even be really appropriate in this case, let them know why it was WRONG for you, and tell them how your major change gave you new clarity and focus, not why it was TOO HARD. You always want to focus on your strengths. But like I said, an addendum may not work for you, because you didn't have big extenuating circumstances, like a death in the family.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:14 am

I'd put money that you get into Columbia. Do not ED to UVa. Just write a Why UVa essay and you're in with money if you want to go there.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:41 am

Maybe ED to Columbia to maximize your chances (if you don't mind going there for sticker price). Otherwise I assume you'd get around 65k at Michigan, UVA, and Duke. Maybe small (30k?) amount of money at NYU or Chicago; and possibly the Dean's Scholarship ($120k) at Cornell.

Do not ED to UVA, especially if you're in-state.

Most likely not.

See my answer to the first question.

**EDIT - Apply early in the cycle to increase your chances of money and acceptances!**

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks so much, guys. Now from what you've said, I feel confident I have a fairly good chances at both admission and money at T14 minus HYS. Let's talk about HYS.

How should I maximize my chance of getting into at least one of HYS? It seems the career prospect from HYS is greater than even CCN. But then, what if I have to pay sticker price, provided that I do get in? Is it worth it in this economy? And what if I'm in HYS but I'm like the stupidest person in the class?

So what I'm asking is about HYS chances optimization, money, and prospect of job and debt payment.

Would love all advice. Thanks.

moopness

Postby moopness » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:48 am

oxygenate wrote:Thanks so much, guys. Now from what you've said, I feel confident I have a fairly good chances at both admission and money at T14 minus HYS. Let's talk about HYS.

How should I maximize my chance of getting into at least one of HYS? It seems the career prospect from HYS is greater than even CCN. But then, what if I have to pay sticker price, provided that I do get in? Is it worth it in this economy? And what if I'm in HYS but I'm like the stupidest person in the class?

So what I'm asking is about HYS chances optimization, money, and prospect of job and debt payment.

Not much you can do asides from winning a Nobel prize. You're GPA is what's holding you back and you can't change that now. On the off chance that you get in, go. "This economy" may be bad, but probably won't stay as bad for the next 3-5 years. Which is moot anyways, since YHS does amazingly even in this economy. But if you don't care about loans and want to go to the best school possible, definitely ED to Columbia. You're not going to get money if you get into Columbia RD, so you might as well increase your chances and ED.

EDIT: Oh and don't worry about being the dumbest person in YHS because you most likely won't be. The calibar of students at YHS vs CCN and even the rest of the T14 is minimal at best. If you had a better gpa you'd be in at one if not several of YHS, and you would have had a better gpa if you went with the right major to begin with.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:34 pm

oxygenate wrote:Thanks so much, guys. Now from what you've said, I feel confident I have a fairly good chances at both admission and money at T14 minus HYS. Let's talk about HYS.

You have no chance. Sorry. They have a soft floor at 3.8 and a hard floor at 3.6. People who get in under 3.6 are URM, donor kids, or have world class achievements.

oxygenate

Postby oxygenate » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:30 am

That sucks. Anyhow, thanks everyone for helping me decide where I should send my apps to this October. I'll blanket all T14, write a strong personal statement and good Why XYZ essays, obtain good LORs, and just have my fingers crossed in the Fall for admission and schollies. :D Before that I'll visit some T14 LS to have a feel of the campus and what not. ^^

Return to “What are my chances?”