3.6GPA/151 LSAT ...terrified Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
acn829

New

3.6GPA/151 LSAT ...terrified

Post by acn829 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 pm

I know the odds are against me with that LSAT.My GPA is good, not great by "top school" standards, but I think all of my soft factors work for me strongly. I also completed school in the same 4 year span even with taking a semester off because of the death of my mother. I wrote an addendum about how the date of the December LSAT was the same date as the last day I saw my mother alive; that day always sucks. I am also Nigerian, and hope that adds into the URM chances.

I really want to go to Columbia =\

I also applied to other top schools which are a stretch (NYU, Yale, Fordham) but I am applying to a few I think I can get into and would go to (St. John's, UMiami, Hofstra, and MAYBE Temple).

I am just really scared and overwhelmed.

justadude55

Silver

Re: 3.6GPA/151 LSAT ...terrified

Post by justadude55 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:39 pm

acn829 wrote:I know the odds are against me with that LSAT.My GPA is good, not great by "top school" standards, but I think all of my soft factors work for me strongly. I also completed school in the same 4 year span even with taking a semester off because of the death of my mother. I wrote an addendum about how the date of the December LSAT was the same date as the last day I saw my mother alive; that day always sucks. I am also Nigerian, and hope that adds into the URM chances.

I also applied to other top schools which are a stretch (NYU, Yale, Fordham) but I am applying to a few I think I can get into and would go to (St. John's, UMiami, Hofstra, and MAYBE Temple).

With a 151, you are money at Columbia. Might want to throw Yale on there too.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm

justadude55 wrote:
acn829 wrote:I know the odds are against me with that LSAT.My GPA is good, not great by "top school" standards, but I think all of my soft factors work for me strongly. I also completed school in the same 4 year span even with taking a semester off because of the death of my mother. I wrote an addendum about how the date of the December LSAT was the same date as the last day I saw my mother alive; that day always sucks. I am also Nigerian, and hope that adds into the URM chances.

With a 151, you are money at Columbia. Might want to throw Yale on there too.
ouch. If I were you I would stick to the second list (St. John's...)

Flustercluck

Bronze

Post by Flustercluck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Justadude = tool

You're probably not going to like to hear this, but you need to retake in June and reapply next year. You need to break 160 to be in consideration, even with URM status. 151 is just too low, but if you can get above 160, you have an outside shot at T14. 164 means you'll almost certainly get one of 10-14.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Also, you might not have the URM thing going for you if you're not a US citizen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acn829

New

Post by acn829 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

I appreciate the honest answers.

To clarify, I am Nigerian-American: I was born here. I also attend a top university: Georgetown. I am hoping that my GPA at such a school counts for something. I know it is still a major reach though to get into Columbia or Penn or something though =\

acn829

New

Post by acn829 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Also, i guess my story is unique in that my mother was killed during my sophomore year and i took the semester off. But I came back and am still graduating on time. Also, my GPA increased each semester thereafter.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

acn829 wrote:I appreciate the honest answers.

To clarify, I am Nigerian-American: I was born here. I also attend a top university: Georgetown. I am hoping that my GPA at such a school counts for something. I know it is still a major reach though to get into Columbia or Penn or something though =\
acn829 wrote:Also, i guess my story is unique in that my mother was killed during my sophomore year and i took the semester off. But I came back and am still graduating on time. Also, my GPA increased each semester thereafter.
It is a touching story that you could work into your PS. But you really need to retake to even get a second look by adcomms in the T14, let alone schools like Yale and Columbia. Your "unique" qualities (i.e. graduating on time after taking a semester off, URM status, your touching story) will pale in comparison to that 151 blemish on your app.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Columbia, NYU and especially Yale are all auto-dings. The other three you probably could swing, but in my opinion aren't worth attending without some MAJOR $$$.

Don't waste a 3.6 from GTown. Don't feel rushed. Take a year and study the LSAT. Doing well on that will pay off for the rest of your life. A 165+ will make NYU and Columbia a possibility. For Yale, I'd say at least a 169 (considering URM) to have a glimmer of a chance, but 170+ is way more likely.

Seriously, the LSAT is probably the most important factor in your legal future right now. Make it count, because if you really think you even have the slightest chance at HYS or CCN right now, you're just plain fooling yourself.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:53 pm

retake

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:14 pm

You should definitely retake your LSAT. You can't do anything to pull up your GPA since you've already graduate but work experience would help out. I don't necessarily think your LSAT needs to end up being as high as some other posters are saying, especially if you're male (are you?). I got into NYU with a 162 (albeit, I have a 3.78).

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Sent a PM

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Also, you might not have the URM thing going for you if you're not a US citizen.
Not true

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Retake. Even as a URM, you have little to no shot at any T14 schools, let alone Columbia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”