Chances of T2 (?) schools with 157/3.63?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ohmylord

Chances of T2 (?) schools with 157/3.63?

Postby ohmylord » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:18 pm

I just recently applied to the following schools
Albany Law
Syracuse
Hofstra
Brooklyn
Buffalo
NYLS (backup)
CUNY (backup)

And just got a fee waiver from St. John's

Now, I know what the T14 are, but I'm not too sure what the T2 schools are, though I'm hoping what I applied to qualify as T2 schools.

But before applying to someplace like St. John's, what is my chance of getting into those schools?

I don't have too many softs, but I have been a Dean's List recipient for 6-7 semesters, started a Relay for Life team, formed a club in my freshman year, and am a current Treasurer of our criminal justice club.

deadpanic

Re: Chances of T2 (?) schools with 157/3.63?

Postby deadpanic » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:20 am

I'd say in to about all those except brooklyn. But I wouldn't attend any of them except maybe buffalo (because you'll get in-state-i'm assuming you are with your choice of schools) or maybe syracuse with a large scholarship with NO stipulations.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:44 am

deadpanic wrote:I'd say in to about all those except brooklyn. But I wouldn't attend any of them except maybe buffalo (because you'll get in-state-i'm assuming you are with your choice of schools) or maybe syracuse with a large scholarship with NO stipulations.

FTFM

Retake. I guarantee you can do better than 157.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:55 am

Retake may help especially since you have a solid GPA. But you have good enough numbers to get into some decent schools including the most of ones you listed. Syracuse is actually a pretty good school for its ranking (hate to say that as a mountaineer) but its is very expensive for its ranking, however with your numbers i wouldn't be surprised if you get some scholarship money. It also seems like your looking into NY so you may want to try Rutgers-Newark, your LSAT is probably slightly lower than the schools average but your GPA is pretty high. It is about 15 min from the city and has a pretty solid reputation among firms in NYC and Philadelphia from what I hear (look into that, I can't say that with complete certainty). Also I read somewhere that as long as you don't commute from PA or NY and actually live in Jersey then you get to pay in-state tuition starting freshman year and the in-state tuition is pretty reasonable. I'm not exactly sure how accurate that is i would have to look it up again but definitely something to look into.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:47 am

Buffalo is a really great school if you want to stay in Buffalo or Rochester. My uncle works for one of the big Buffalo firms and they always hire UB grads. Granted, you must be in the top 10% of your class to have this kind of opportunity. I'm also considering UB, largely because its cheap plus they gave me some scholarship money.

ohmylord

Postby ohmylord » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I have taken the test the maximum allotted times, and my highest score on my final retake was 157 (the second time I took the test, I was ready and confident, but it was just the worst time and environment to be taking a major test in at the time).

I have heard of Rutgers-Newark by name only, but not much of reputation. The one thing I worry about out-of-state schools is the drastically increased tuition I would have to pay, not to mention I sort of wish to stay in the NY state after graduation (I honestly don't know what the situation is regarding working in a state that you didn't attend law school in), though if anyone were to indulge in a little bit more information on this school from personal experiences or outside statistically gathered knowledge, I would be very thankful.

While I do enjoy the hustle and bustle of the large city environment, places like Buffalo or Rochester may be more up my alley. I wouldn't mind living and working in an area like Buffalo, though my concern would be how big are these law firms? I'm definitely not expecting NYC big, but at least big enough to be able to survive comfortably and not get crushed by the debt.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Definitely understand, and I'm not trying to advertise for Rutgers-Newark (Being a Mountaineer I don't even like Rutgers very much). I was looking at some mid-atlantic schools myself since I am from Philadelphia area and I just found this sentence in the schools overview interesting.

[Out-of-state students can easily expect to spend over $40,000 per year, however, the school is known to waive out-of-state status even for first year students who move to New Jersey. Thus, only students who commute from New York will be considered "out of state." ]

Not really sure too many details on this I have to look into it more but it just caught my eye since they have some pretty low in-state tuition and the campus is 15 min from NYC.

Return to “What are my chances?”