LSDAS GPA: 2.82; LSAT: 155

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DoubleChecks

Re: LSDAS GPA: 2.82; LSAT: 155

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm confused. Even if there will eventually be "jobs for all" in the legal market (which I also believe is broken due to supply > demand...and not just that, the placement of supply is not meeting demand in the right areas), I don't know if that means TTT law schools are a wise investment. If tuition were lower there, maybe...but how is a lower wage job supposed to mean a wise investment when it cost $100k to get the degree? And students will still do it because 1) Americans love borrowing themselves into debt and 2) society as a whole and law schools are somewhat misleading about job prospects.

newbruin45

Postby newbruin45 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm

This debate is fascinating but the bottom line is that I know people at a T15 school with 3.6s (top 15%) that don't have jobs right now. If it's that bad at the top law schools can you imagine how bad it is for the lower schools? A T4 school was a bad investment pre ITE and ITE it's downright stupid.

I really don't get it. Why are people so desperate to become lawyers? Hopefully not for the pay because there is no guarantee of biglaw these days unless you're at HYS. Also, most lawyers hate their jobs anyway.

Regardless of whether or not the OP can get a job, he/she should realize that T4 graduates will probably end up in of the following fields:

Personal Injury
DUI Defense
Family Law (aka Divorce)
Public Defender
Small town municipal

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Good post newbruin. I also want to include in your list:

Retail
Bartending
Video store manager
Mall security
Military
Truck driver
Barge worker on the Mississippi
Quality control manager on a factory line

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 pm

tkaninenberg wrote:I agree with you regarding the advantages that having good numbers will provide you. You just read through out this forum that if you don't have "numbers" you should just forget it. I have spoken to a number of lawyers that although the LSAT is a mandatory tool for law school admissions it does not represent ones ability if they were to attend law school. Employment as a whole is shitty, I have often wondered if my UG degree has been worth it, my point your at risk with facing unemployment or being laid off in any profession. Any way again I do agree that the numbers do give you an advantage I never thought differently, I will contend that where you go to school and whatever your numbers are they are not going to be a determing factor with what type of lawyer you are going to be.

"Type of lawyer?" If you consider "not employed as a lawyer" as a "type of lawyer" then go with Christ, brah.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:Good post newbruin. I also want to include in your list:

Retail
Bartending
Video store manager
Mall security
Military
Truck driver
Barge worker on the Mississippi
Quality control manager on a factory line

I wish I could have the military as a safety net. A wrist injury I got in high school will certainly disqualify me.

CGB

Postby CGB » Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 pm

The results are in -

University of Memphis - In
University of Mississippi - Out
University of Arkansas - Lafayette - Out
University of Arkansas - Little Rock - In with money
Louisiana State University - Waitlisted
Ave Maria - In with money

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri May 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Congratulations! I actually don't know anything about these schools, but congratulations all the same.

ETA: don't choose Ave Maria

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri May 13, 2011 2:40 pm

CGB wrote:The results are in -

University of Memphis - In
University of Mississippi - Out
University of Arkansas - Lafayette - Out
University of Arkansas - Little Rock - In with money
Louisiana State University - Waitlisted
Ave Maria - In with money

...there's no UA Lafayette...

You mean Fayetteville, homez? I hope that's not what you put in the PS.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 pm

kapital98 wrote:Daninthelionsden:

During a liquidity trap jobs are not available. If you wish to give advice about labor market conditions please understand the basic differences between frictional, structural, and cyclical unemployment.

The current Georgetown grads are experiencing cyclical unemployment (no jobs exist.) Past and future grads experienced/will experience frictional unemployment. (unless for some reason all the legal jobs leave D.C. and structural problems exist :P )

About 10-20% of TLS is composed of ECON majors/minors. I'm really surprised people don't talk about labor/business cycle economics more often instead of keep on saying, "THE SKY IS FALLING!!!"

This stuff kapital98 is writing is a textbook example of an information barf that leads to nowhere. Romo's advice is that, due to increased competition in the legal market, OP would be doing his/herself a huge disservice by not retaking and reapplying. OP's stats are terrible in for this legal market, and basically any other in recent history. Your lengthy screed about labor markets is irrelevant. Romo's advice is credited, even if we were talking about this pre-recession.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 pm

I think Kapital should have devoted the same amount of time to studying for the LSAT as he did to that Economics book he keeps quoting.

Verity

Postby Verity » Fri May 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Woah. Just realized these were posts from January. Eek.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Verity wrote:Woah. Just realized these were posts from January. Eek.

oops lol. Def wasn't the original bumper though, it was on the homepage :lol:

CGB

Postby CGB » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:46 pm

I was the original bumper. I thought, with all of the nay-saying and thrashing that was going on back in the earlier posts, people might like to see how things panned out. Also, as for calling it UA- Lafayette, I live in louisiana and there is a lafayette here. Just a slip of the keys >.<

Return to “What are my chances?”