From Engineering to Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
knicks11

From Engineering to Law School

Postby knicks11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm currently an engineering student that wants to go to law school for IP Law. Do school's generally give engineering students a boost in their gpa's vs other majors? I am a senior with a 3.5 in Electrical Engineering from a non-ivy league school and will be taking the LSAT for the first time in October 2011 for the following Fall 's admissions. Thanks

fundamentallybroken

Re: From Engineering to Law School

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:26 pm

knicks11 wrote:I'm currently an engineering student that wants to go to law school for IP Law. Do school's generally give engineering students a boost in their gpa's vs other majors? I am a senior with a 3.5 in Electrical Engineering from a non-ivy league school and will be taking the LSAT for the first time in October 2011 for the following Fall 's admissions. Thanks

Just curious, why would you think engineering students would get some sort of advantage in gpa analysis?

But to answer, while your major may come down to being a tie-breaker in some cases, it is typically only the number they look at. Engineering 3.5 = Poetry 3.5. Sorry.

(Disclaimer: Unless you start talking about t10 or t14, then you might get something. But I still doubt it.)

knicks11

Postby knicks11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:41 pm

The reason I thought this is because I heard conflicting responses from people saying that engineering students generally get boosted up because it's much harder to get a 3.5/4.0 in engineering than in majors such as poetry and art. A 3.5 engineering gpa in my school is probably top 20% while say a person majoring in art with a 3.5 might be in the median of their class.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:42 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
knicks11 wrote:I'm currently an engineering student that wants to go to law school for IP Law. Do school's generally give engineering students a boost in their gpa's vs other majors? I am a senior with a 3.5 in Electrical Engineering from a non-ivy league school and will be taking the LSAT for the first time in October 2011 for the following Fall 's admissions. Thanks

Just curious, why would you think engineering students would get some sort of advantage in gpa analysis?

Not the OP, but I think a lot of engineers assume so before doing further research because engineering tends to grade on a different curve. At my school, for instance, courses in my major were curved to a B-/C+ - roughly a 2.5. Schools like Georgia Tech are even rougher. I asked my professor (also the undergraduate academic director of my department) to elaborate on this in my letters of recommendation, and he was completely astonished that he needed to at all. "How could they not take that into account?"

To the OP: the best way to offset a lower GPA is with a higher LSAT (i.e. become a splitter).

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:48 pm

So far as one can tell from law school numbers data, there does seem to be a slight bump for engineering students with slightly lower GPA's then what the school would ordinarily accept. I think a high LSAT + a 3.5 engineering GPA is FAR better than the same LSAT with a 3.75 generic liberal arts UG and the little green pyramids on LSN seem to agree. Didn't some guy with a 2.7 engineering GPA get into Northwestern a while back?

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:50 pm

dabears1 wrote:

So far as one can tell from law school numbers data, there does seem to be a slight bump for engineering students with slightly lower GPA's then what the school would ordinarily accept. I think a high LSAT + a 3.5 engineering GPA is FAR better than the same LSAT with a 3.75 generic liberal arts UG and the little green pyramids on LSN seem to agree. Didn't some guy with a 2.7 engineering GPA get into Northwestern a while back?

NU is notorious for taking low GPA splitters with quality work experience.

A 3.5 engineering GPA will pretty much never trump a 3.75 generic liberal arts degree, although a crappy application with that 3.75 may land a WL or R. I think it might be closer when you have maybe a 3.5 vs. a 3.6, competing for a school where both numbers are below the median.

Someone once told me on this forum that schools are looking for an excuse to take your high LSAT, but the low GPA makes you a liability. Show them a reason why you're not, and it will help your application. That being said, I think this advice generally applies to REALLY low GPAs (and 3.5 still isn't one of them)
Last edited by czelede on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I've heard that we get a very slight boost. I wouldn't rely on it at all.

I don't know how high you're aiming, but you're shut out of HYS with that GPA, but if you can pull a 170+, you should be golden at the rest of the T14.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Didn't some guy with a 2.7 engineering GPA get into Northwestern a while back?

Even if he did, this hardly proves anything.

czelede

Postby czelede » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

I've heard that we get a very slight boost. I wouldn't rely on it at all.

I don't know how high you're aiming, but you're shut out of HYS with that GPA, but if you can pull a 170+, you should be golden at some of the T14.

OP needs more than a 170+ for CCN.

And Boalt is probably not happening either way.

knicks11

Postby knicks11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 pm

I am currently looking at NYU, Columbia, Fordham, and Yeshiva(Cardozo). I still have to take the LSAT, which will decide where I will go.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Didn't some guy with a 2.7 engineering GPA get into Northwestern a while back?

Even if he did, this hardly proves anything.

2009-2010 - "Lazy Splitter" had a 2.8/176 and got into NU. Engineering UG.

I know it doesn't prove anything... but I do think schools give at least a slight nod to engineering students w/lowish GPAs vs. others who got a 3.5 in basket weaving.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:57 pm

czelede wrote:OP needs more than a 170+ for CCN.

Yeah, I know. I figured a 3.5 in EE can probably pull a 175, but I didn't want to say that lest the wrath of the liberal arts majors descend on me.

dabears1

Postby dabears1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:07 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
czelede wrote:OP needs more than a 170+ for CCN.

Yeah, I know. I figured a 3.5 in EE can probably pull a 175, but I didn't want to say that lest the wrath of the liberal arts majors descend on me.

How dare you... prepare for an angry mob of philosophers to crash upon your inbox. For, as Plato once said, "a good decision is based on knowledge, and not on numbers."

knicks11

Postby knicks11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for clearing it up

hjag

Postby hjag » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:12 am

I know someone who got into a T20 law school with their median LSAT and a much, much lower GPA than the median (and lower than 25th percentile, too). His softs weren't bad, but nothing game changing.

That said, I really think his science major mattered.
They might not take you over a 3.75 liberal arts major, but who is to say they won't take both of you.
In my opinion, though, a 3.5 in engineering >> 3.75 in a humanities major. Admissions officers may or may not agree.

FWIW, I say this as a science major who has had to study my butt off to make B+ - A in my sciences classes, but screwed around in my non science classes and never got below an A in any one of them.

Best of luck!

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:09 pm

You may not get a huge boost from engineering major but you will get a slight boost. Also since you're going into IP your job prospects will be infinitely better than 90% of law students. Nice!

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 pm

hjag wrote:That said, I really think his science major mattered.
They might not take you over a 3.75 liberal arts major, but who is to say they won't take both of you.
In my opinion, though, a 3.5 in engineering >> 3.75 in a humanities major. Admissions officers may or may not agree.

FWIW, I say this as a science major who has had to study my butt off to make B+ - A in my sciences classes, but screwed around in my non science classes and never got below an A in any one of them.

Best of luck!

I completely agree. 3.5 in engineering >> 3.75 in liberal arts. In fact I would go as far as to say that in many cases 3.5 B.S. > 3.75 B.A.
I am a chemistry major and I also studied my butt off to get a 3.6 in my major courses, but breezed through with a 3.9 in non major courses. I think this is a common trend with most science degrees and I'm sure they know that. I can't speak to what admissions will do, but I think they are aware that not all majors are equal. However, numbers are really important to them, if only because it supports their rankings and such. Where you should expect to see a bump is from a diversity standpoint. Law schools don't necessarly want a bunch of Political Science majors filling their classes.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 pm

FiveSermon wrote:You may not get a huge boost from engineering major but you will get a slight boost. Also since you're going into IP your job prospects will be infinitely better than 90% of law students. Nice!

100% agree here. I know of some IP offices that hire engineers without a law degree, you will be very marketable.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 pm

FiveSermon wrote:You may not get a huge boost from engineering major but you will get a slight boost. Also since you're going into IP your job prospects will be infinitely better than 90% of law students. Nice!

You get a slight boost others with the same GPA but in a LA major. That's all. There are 3.9-4.0 students with engineering and other science GPAs, just in case anyone didn't realize.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Im an engineer and I am pretty sure that I got a boost. By comparing my numbers to people on Law School Numbers, I have been accepted to schools and offered money that others with similar numbers were waitlisted or rejected.

Also, I have received handwritten letters from the schools encouraging me to attend and take part in their IP programs.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm an engineering major at a school where I'm (ever so slightly) below both medians. I was accepted straight off the bat in the first wave of acceptances. Non-URM and your average softs.

Apply early, but don't expect miracles. If you're hovering just under a few medians it might edge you in.

Return to “What are my chances?”