What law schools should I look at?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jusdel1

What law schools should I look at?

Postby jusdel1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Double Major: Political Science and Spanish

Current GPA 3.93

I'm only a freshman in college (technically a sophomore), but I'm able to graduate a year early. I've been studying for the LSAT this past winter break. Looks like I can score about 162 on my LSAT. If I keep up my GPA at above 3.75, What law schools can I get into? Any with scholarship? Reach schools? By the way, I'll be graduating at 20 and applying at 19.

Thanks!

akili

Re: What law schools should I look at?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Kudos for studying early and focusing on the LSAT already. Here's what a solid plan would look like:
Take a year off after graduation and get some work experience and save up, study hard for the LSAT, get a 170+, go anywhere and be able to drink in celebration!

Seriously, while your age is impressive right now, it's really not a huge bonus for law firms.

jusdel1

Postby jusdel1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm

@Akili

What happens if by the time I graduate I would've completed two internships? Or if I join the Peace Corps after college, a long dream of mine?

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Come back with a real LSAT score. We won't really be able to help until then.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm

jusdel1 wrote:@Akili

What happens if by the time I graduate I would've completed two internships? Or if I join the Peace Corps after college, a long dream of mine?

Both are wonderful. Especially Peace Corps. It can be a strong soft. It would also mean you were older when you are applying which I think will help. Go for it!:)

Taffybear2

Postby Taffybear2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm

As someone who was in a similar situation when I started college. My best advice is to keep that gpa flying high and try to find some great extracurricular, internship, work experience. Everything you do is something to put on your resume and will help you get that next bigger and better position. It also makes you a more well-rounded individual. Enjoy your time in college, I wish I had studied abroad, but the extra time I spent in D.C. interning for a semester was invaluable. Keep up the good work familiarizing yourself with the LSAT and come back here in a year of two when you have a score. Consider the LSAT your big investment. Also like the previous poster said, taking time after undergrad to get some work experience/save up money is a great idea! I have never heard anyone regret this, unlike the contrary. (I graduated a year early and will be taking the next year and a half before law school getting some really fantastic law related work experience)This will also give you more time to figure out what and where you want to practice law. Keep up the good work!

edgnarly

Postby edgnarly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm

Taffybear2 wrote:As someone who was in a similar situation when I started college. My best advice is to keep that gpa flying high and try to find some great extracurricular, internship, work experience. Everything you do is something to put on your resume and will help you get that next bigger and better position. It also makes you a more well-rounded individual. Enjoy your time in college, I wish I had studied abroad, but the extra time I spent in D.C. interning for a semester was invaluable. Keep up the good work familiarizing yourself with the LSAT and come back here in a year of two when you have a score. Consider the LSAT your big investment. Also like the previous poster said, taking time after undergrad to get some work experience/save up money is a great idea! I have never heard anyone regret this, unlike the contrary. (I graduated a year early and will be taking the next year and a half before law school getting some really fantastic law related work experience)This will also give you more time to figure out what and where you want to practice law. Keep up the good work!

STUDY ABROAD! Not doing so is my biggest regret from my undergrad years.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 pm

edgnarly wrote:
Taffybear2 wrote:As someone who was in a similar situation when I started college. My best advice is to keep that gpa flying high and try to find some great extracurricular, internship, work experience. Everything you do is something to put on your resume and will help you get that next bigger and better position. It also makes you a more well-rounded individual. Enjoy your time in college, I wish I had studied abroad, but the extra time I spent in D.C. interning for a semester was invaluable. Keep up the good work familiarizing yourself with the LSAT and come back here in a year of two when you have a score. Consider the LSAT your big investment. Also like the previous poster said, taking time after undergrad to get some work experience/save up money is a great idea! I have never heard anyone regret this, unlike the contrary. (I graduated a year early and will be taking the next year and a half before law school getting some really fantastic law related work experience)This will also give you more time to figure out what and where you want to practice law. Keep up the good work!

STUDY ABROAD! Not doing so is my biggest regret from my undergrad years.

Be careful. I, like OP, had a 3.93 GPA after first semester freshman year. I had a 3.83 GPA going into Senior year, when I studied abroad. I got a fucking 2.7 in one of my study abroad classes FUCKING nonsense (i got honors in the two other classes), dropped my GPA to a 3.77. nbd usually, but 3.8>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3.7 for law school.

Lesson, take that shit credit/no credit and go. But be wary if you don't, you never know when you'll get a crazy prof.

jusdel1

Postby jusdel1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

Hate to break it to you guys, but I'll be more than likely to study abroad Spring 2012 which is second semester next academic year. I have to study abroad for my spanish major. Assuming that my study abroad goes well, my GPA does not dip below a 3.7, I have two internships by the time I graduate, and my LSAT is at 162 like how I expect it to be or higher, will law school look down upon an applicant who will enter law school by the time I enter? Plus money is not to huge deal as long as I am not going to a school where I'm not paying more than 30 grand with or without scholarship.

jusdel1

Postby jusdel1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm

I'll be entering in at 20 years old

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm

With a 162? Nowhere worth going ITE. A 21 year old would get eaten alive at OCI even with decent grades at a T-14 (not that you have a shot at the T-14).

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Honestly, I don't think it's a point in your favor. Get your score up very high and it won't matter a ton, but really...Law students do lots of things involving alcohol and to miss that would really suck (IMO).

Go do the Peace Corps thing or volunteer. Get a 170+ (or at least high 160s) Enter when you are at least 21. Profit.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Get the score first, then come back here and post.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

I think at this point you need to focus on what everyone has pointed out to you and not worry about what school you will attend in a few years. A lot can happen in the next couple of years, so there is no school advice anyone can give you. Just work hard, give yourself a good amount of time to study for the LSAT and do what you can to make your resume look good.

casper13

Postby casper13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:02 am

Got find some dumb chicks in school, get some 21 y/o to buy you booze, invite em to your place, profit, come back in 2 years with high GPA still, take LSAT, take year off after graduate and go buy beer for yourself, find cheap easy women at bar while taking year off, profit, apply to law schools after you have gained some life experience, got to best school, think you are gonna profit, wind up unemployed and down on your luck, find cheap booze and cheap women, profit, rinse and repeat.

yeah im bored.

glewz

Postby glewz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 am

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/

LSP says that at 3.75 & 162, you are a "Consider" for Wash U in St. Louis (#19) and schools below it. You are a "Weak Consider" or "Deny" for all schools above Wash U.

At 3.75 and 167, you are a "Consider" or "Strong Consider" at 8 of the T14 schools.

Edit: Oh wait, u don't have a score yet. Go take the test. :)

Return to “What are my chances?”