169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What should I do?

ED UVA
26%
See what happens at Michigan/Cornell
34%
Take a scholarship at UT/Vandy
40%

Total votes: 35

albusdumbledore

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby albusdumbledore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:UVA WL = rejection.

UVA isn't going to let a white dood in without a 3.85 or a 170. No matter what.

akili is a girl...

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Haha this poll is like the least helpful thing ever. They are all about the same! edit: Now they are all tied at 5 votes apiece.

So pretty much, I'm out at UVA either way, and I have a decent chance at Michigan. I already applied to both. I *think* I would prefer UVA to Michigan (mostly for the weather/proximity to D.C.) so I should just change to ED to UVA and see what happens.

Also, I'm a chick.
Last edited by akili on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:TBF, UVA waitlists EVERYONE. 98% of their waitlist has 0% chance of every getting off, including you last cycle.

I was rejected the day after their first seat deposit was due. At the time, I didn't know I could do their binding decision so late in the cycle and I would have ED'd just to get it over with. I was quite ignorant about how important medians are to the law school application game and actually thought that because my numbers fell within their 25-75th percentile, I stood a chance. op should ed to uva and get it over with. If they waitlist you, take it as a reject. Meanwhile, send in an optional essay to Michigan. They really do care about writing skills.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:12 pm

akili wrote:So pretty much, I'm out at UVA either way, and I have a decent chance at Michigan. I already applied to both. I *think* I would prefer UVA to Michigan (mostly for the weather/proximity to D.C.) so I should just change to ED to UVA and see what happens.

I think that's a decent idea. They won't admit you ED (below both medians), but it does show you're serious about attending. Write a LOCI in March to demonstrate your continued interest. I still don't think you'll get in, but at least you'll have maximized your chances (outside of retaking, which I guess you can't do).

BTW, UVA was my top choice - I applied ED there before I got my retake score, but got WLd. Good luck!

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm

atresia wrote:
akili wrote:So pretty much, I'm out at UVA either way, and I have a decent chance at Michigan. I already applied to both. I *think* I would prefer UVA to Michigan (mostly for the weather/proximity to D.C.) so I should just change to ED to UVA and see what happens.

I think that's a decent idea. They won't admit you ED (below both medians), but it does show you're serious about attending. Write a LOCI in March to demonstrate your continued interest. I still don't think you'll get in, but at least you'll have maximized your chances (outside of retaking, which I guess you can't do).

BTW, UVA was my top choice - I applied ED there before I got my retake score, but got WLd. Good luck!

I'm going to mull it over/sleep on it. Mostly I'm worried that if I don't get in to Michigan I screwed myself over by NOT EDing at UVA.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 pm

akili wrote:
atresia wrote:

I'm going to mull it over/sleep on it. Mostly I'm worried that if I don't get in to Michigan I screwed myself over by NOT EDing at UVA.

if you get into UVA ED or otherwise i will eat my hat. my favorite hat with the rabbit-fur pompom.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 pm

akili wrote:Haha this poll is like the least helpful thing ever. They are all about the same! edit: Now they are all tied at 5 votes apiece.

So pretty much, I'm out at UVA either way, and I have a decent chance at Michigan. I already applied to both. I *think* I would prefer UVA to Michigan (mostly for the weather/proximity to D.C.) so I should just change to ED to UVA and see what happens.

Also, I'm a chick.

Please don't take my spot

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:39 pm

IAFG wrote:
akili wrote:
atresia wrote:

if you get into UVA ED or otherwise i will eat my hat. my favorite hat with the rabbit-fur pompom.

Don't eat your hat! (you won't have to anyways). Please tell me you aren't thinking I have the same odds at Michigan :(

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:42 pm

akili wrote:
Don't eat your hat! (you won't have to anyways). Please tell me you aren't thinking I have the same odds at Michigan :(

You look good for Michigan. http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
akili wrote:

You look good for Michigan. http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

Thank God.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who offered advice. I really really appreciate it. Especially since it was nice AND helpful (a rare combination on TLS sometimes). If any of yall want me to look over Why Statements/LOCIs/etc, let me know (I do not claim expertise, but I'm willing to help). I owe ya!

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:49 pm

You have a decent shot at Michigan. Unless it is your absolute dream to go to UVA, I would hold out. Also, given what you think you want to do when you graduate, Michigan's LRAP is in my opinion better/less restrictive than UVA's (but I'm biased because I'm absolutely in love with Michigan :D ).

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... ginia.html
http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guid ... higan.html

akili

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:52 pm

TheStrand wrote:You have a decent shot at Michigan. Unless it is your absolute dream to go to UVA, I would hold out. Also, given what you think you want to do when you graduate, Michigan's LRAP is in my opinion better/less restrictive than UVA's (but I'm biased because I'm absolutely in love with Michigan :D ).

I really really like Michigan. Especially the whole "you can do clinics/practice law as a 2L" thing. Plus it's freaking gorgeous.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm

I like your odds for Mich as long as you include a strong Why X. good luck.

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 pm

akili wrote:
TheStrand wrote:You have a decent shot at Michigan. Unless it is your absolute dream to go to UVA, I would hold out. Also, given what you think you want to do when you graduate, Michigan's LRAP is in my opinion better/less restrictive than UVA's (but I'm biased because I'm absolutely in love with Michigan :D ).

I really really like Michigan. Especially the whole "you can do clinics/practice law as a 2L" thing. Plus it's freaking gorgeous.

and our (is it too early for me to start saying our?) students build massive snowmen. Who cares about the cold when you've got an 10 foot tall Frosty in your epicly beautiful law quad?

In seriousness, talking to the students made a big difference for me too. Which is not to say UVA kids are not great, but there was an...ineffable quality to Michigan students--again, I'm qualifying this with my obvious bias.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm

TheStrand wrote: there was an...ineffable quality to Michigan students--again, I'm qualifying this with my obvious bias.

I'm not going to michigan but I gained a huge amount of respect for that school a few days ago: My friend has a one seventy seven lsat and was just rejected from michigan because (I think) they read his p.s. and couldn't in good conscience admit someone with such bad writing skills. I read his p.s. and it is one of the worst I have ever read. So far he was accepted at NYU-UCLA(full-ride)-UTA(full-ride). Finding out about the michigan-reject actually restored (a little) my faith in the law school admissions process. Good to know that at least ONE of the T-14 isn't a number whore.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:56 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
TheStrand wrote: there was an...ineffable quality to Michigan students--again, I'm qualifying this with my obvious bias.

I'm not going to michigan but I gained a huge amount of respect for that school a few days ago: My friend has a one seventy seven lsat and was just rejected from michigan because (I think) they read his p.s. and couldn't in good conscience admit someone with such bad writing skills. I read his p.s. and it is one of the worst I have ever read. So far he was accepted at NYU-UCLA(full-ride)-UTA(full-ride).

What is your friend's GPA? The 170 acceptance at NYU gives me a little hope.

The PS thing at Michigan is good for me, too. I literally wrote 5 drafts of mine and had at least 10 people read and comment on it.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Michigan has the third highest acceptance rate of the T14 and practices YP. It's not holistic or selective.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:01 pm

atresia wrote:
well-hello-there wrote:

I'm not going to michigan but I gained a huge amount of respect for that school a few days ago: My friend has a one seventy seven lsat and was just rejected from michigan because (I think) they read his p.s. and couldn't in good conscience admit someone with such bad writing skills. I read his p.s. and it is one of the worst I have ever read. So far he was accepted at NYU-UCLA(full-ride)-UTA(full-ride).

What is your friend's GPA? The 170 acceptance at NYU gives me a little hope.

The PS thing at Michigan is good for me, too. I literally wrote 5 drafts of mine and had at least 10 people read and comment on it.

He said 177.

ATR

Postby ATR » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:He said 177.

:oops:

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Michigan has the third highest acceptance rate of the T14 and practices YP. It's not holistic or selective.

And Columbia has the same acceptance rate as UConn Law.

How are you determining who is getting rejected because of YP versus holistic considerations? Michigan's Director of Admissions has herself stated that she believes denying a worthy candidate with great scores based on a belief that the student won't come and will lower the yield rate is "wrong."
http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... 558f&ID=11

Though claims by law schools should generally be taken with a grain of salt, I'd take them over forum posters.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

TheStrand wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Michigan has the third highest acceptance rate of the T14 and practices YP. It's not holistic or selective.

How are you determining who is getting rejected because of YP versus holistic considerations? Michigan's Director of Admissions has herself stated that she believes denying a worthy candidate with great scores based on a belief that the student won't come and will lower the yield rate is "wrong."

Though claims by law schools should generally be taken with a grain of salt, I'd take them over forum posters.

And Columbia isn't holistic either.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:40 pm

TheStrand wrote:

I would certainly take the first hand knowledge of the admissions process of people on TLS over anything an admissions officer said concerning how, why, or what the base their decisions on. Unless, of course, they say that they only care about US News.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm

If I had to guess what Michigan does is that they reject or WL people with too good of scores who they don't like and try to lure those they like with money.

However if you are in there target range almost everyone is getting in.

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
TheStrand wrote:

And Columbia isn't holistic either.

Two separate arguments, one about selectivity and another about being holistic. I'm just saying you can't really state "Michigan has the third highest acceptance rate of the T14", claim it's not selective, and ignore the fact that schools well outside the T14 have the same acceptance rates as some of the schools you are implying are selective.

Regardless, that doesn't address the issue of how you are determining schools are accepting/rejecting based on holistic versus non-holistic factors.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:20 pm

atresia wrote:What is your friend's GPA?

Return to “What are my chances?”