169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

What should I do?

ED UVA
9
26%
See what happens at Michigan/Cornell
12
34%
Take a scholarship at UT/Vandy
14
40%
 
Total votes: 35

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

I have a 169 (160, 160 blech)/3.7. Pretty average softs, worked through college, organized a large scale athletic event to raise money for a non-profit (raised 1300! hooray!)

I've gotten some great advice but I need some more help! Should I ED at UVA or see how things go with Vandy/UT/Cornell and Michigan (one of my top choices!)? Debt isn't an issue, but scholarships are attractive.

I really really like UVA and think I would like to go there, but I've never been to Charlottesville. People have told me I pretty much have no chance at UVA without EDing... I just don't know what to do!

Any advice?
Last edited by akili on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschooliseasy
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:49 am

If I were you I'd just take a full ride to a T25, or maybe a partial scholarship at Vandy. Make a poll for this, btw.

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby duckmoney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:50 am

You probably won't get money either way since you're below both medians, so if you want to go to UVA and pay for it, you should ED because your chances will be MUCH better. If you want to have a shot at scholarship elsewhere (could get something at Vandy and could definitely get money at plenty of T30 schools) then don't ED.

Also, be sure to write a why UVA if you have good reasons to go there.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 am

My parents and grandparents are helping pay for school so I'm looking at minimal debt either way. Scholarships would obviously be wonderful, but I'm not necessarily stuck with crippling debt even paying sticker.

Edit: Do I have a good shot at Michigan this late?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:57 am

You actually have a much better shot at Michigan than you do UVA because Michigan has lower medians.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:59 am

Tagging. Numbers twin. :)

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby duckmoney » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:59 am

akili wrote:My parents and grandparents are helping pay for school so I'm looking at minimal debt either way. Scholarships would obviously be wonderful, but I'm not necessarily stuck with crippling debt even paying sticker.

Edit: Do I have a good shot at Michigan this late?


That's a hard call then. If your parents are legitimately able and willing to pay sticker at UVA, then ED. If it would be a financial burden you don't want to put on them, take the money elsewhere and have them make up the rest.

lawschooliseasy
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:03 pm

duckmoney wrote:
akili wrote:My parents and grandparents are helping pay for school so I'm looking at minimal debt either way. Scholarships would obviously be wonderful, but I'm not necessarily stuck with crippling debt even paying sticker.

Edit: Do I have a good shot at Michigan this late?


That's a hard call then. If your parents are legitimately able and willing to pay sticker at UVA, then ED. If it would be a financial burden you don't want to put on them, take the money elsewhere and have them make up the rest.


Agree, though some of it depends on goals and market. I'm under the impression that Vandy does almost equally in terms of Biglaw placement, but is not as strong in terms of clerkship placement.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm

I should add then, I want to be an ADA/prosecutor or maybe military law/FBI/juvenile justice

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby NZA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 pm

akili wrote:I should add then, I want to be an ADA/prosecutor or maybe military law/FBI/juvenile justice


Career twin, too! Wtf? :lol:

I don't know if this has been brought up, but are you a VA resident? Because I thought UVa was one of those schools where that actually really matters.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm

NZA wrote:
akili wrote:I should add then, I want to be an ADA/prosecutor or maybe military law/FBI/juvenile justice


Career twin, too! Wtf? :lol:

I don't know if this has been brought up, but are you a VA resident? Because I thought UVa was one of those schools where that actually really matters.


Haha of course we are career twins too! That's really funny!

Nope, I'm Texas. I like Austin but that's about it as far as Texas cities I want to live in :) I wish I lived in Virginia. It looks perfect.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Obviously if I wanted to work in D.C., UVA would be a better choice. Are there cities for which Michigan would be a better choice?

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby rapstar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 pm

UVA - OUT unless you ED then it's questionable
MICH - OUT
CORNELL - IN
VANDY - probably 15K per year
TENN - probably full ride

I don't think you will receive money at uva, mich, or cornell, so the decision probably comes down to UVA ED vs. Vandy with a little money or tennessee for free. I would either take the vandy or tennessee offer unless your parents/grandparents are very, very wealthy and 200k wouldn't be a real burden. But still, why not apply to some better schools then tenn where you're still likely to get lots of money or a full ride? Emory, UGA, ND, UNC, Bama?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm

rapstar wrote:UVA - OUT unless you ED then it's questionable
MICH - OUT
CORNELL - IN
VANDY - probably 15K per year
TENN - probably full ride

I don't think you will receive money at uva, mich, or cornell, so the decision probably comes down to UVA ED vs. Vandy with a little money or tennessee for free. I would either take the vandy or tennessee offer unless your parents/grandparents are very, very wealthy and 200k wouldn't be a real burden. But still, why not apply to some better schools then tenn where you're still likely to get lots of money or a full ride? Emory, UGA, ND, UNC, Bama?


UT is for University of Texas :)

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 pm

rapstar wrote:UVA - OUT unless you ED then it's questionable
MICH - OUT
CORNELL - IN
VANDY - probably 15K per year
TENN - probably full ride

I don't think you will receive money at uva, mich, or cornell, so the decision probably comes down to UVA ED vs. Vandy with a little money or tennessee for free. I would either take the vandy or tennessee offer unless your parents/grandparents are very, very wealthy and 200k wouldn't be a real burden. But still, why not apply to some better schools then tenn where you're still likely to get lots of money or a full ride? Emory, UGA, ND, UNC, Bama?


Bro, a 169 3.7 is exactly at Michigans medians, OP stands a good chance.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.


Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:59 pm

akili wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.


Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol


Assuming you'd take UVA over them sure why not?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
akili wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.


Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol


Assuming you'd take UVA over them sure why not?

To be honest, if you want to make sure you get into the best school possible i'd ED to Michigan. But, if you really really want UVA, then ED there. Or, if you'd be fine attending Cornell or Vandy, then don't ED to Michigan. Also, Michigan ED has a summer start date so that could factor in.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
akili wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.


Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol


Assuming you'd take UVA over them sure why not?

To be honest, if you want to make sure you get into the best school possible i'd ED to Michigan. But, if you really really want UVA, then ED there. Or, if you'd be fine attending Cornell or Vandy, then don't ED to Michigan. Also, Michigan ED has a summer start date so that could factor in.


It's probably too late to ED to Michigan right? Also he might get $ from Michigan.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
akili wrote:Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol


Assuming you'd take UVA over them sure why not?

To be honest, if you want to make sure you get into the best school possible i'd ED to Michigan. But, if you really really want UVA, then ED there. Or, if you'd be fine attending Cornell or Vandy, then don't ED to Michigan. Also, Michigan ED has a summer start date so that could factor in.


It's probably too late to ED to Michigan right? Also he might get $ from Michigan.

True, I keep thinking people are asking about next cycle not realizing applications are still going in. But, as far as the money goes, I think OP needs a 3.8 GPA with that LSAT to get money.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Yeah, I missed the deadline to ED to Michigan. Can't really feel bad though, because my 160 would never have gotten me in. If they still had it available, I would. I said I would do either fall or summer start and I wrote a really sincere Why Michigan that might help.

You know what stinks? I had a 3.8 last cycle, but my grandpa passed away during spring finals so I wasn't really so much focused on school at that point. :(

User avatar
well-hello-there
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.

I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected from UVa last cycle with a 168/3.6 regular decision

akili wrote:Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol

yes

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You are autoreject at UVA.

Aim for Michigan or Cornell.

I was waitlisted and ultimately rejected from UVa last cycle with a 168/3.6 regular decision

akili wrote:Assuming I already applied to them all...should I just ED to UVA and get my rejection sooner? lol

yes


TBF, UVA waitlists EVERYONE. 98% of their waitlist has 0% chance of every getting off, including you last cycle.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 169/3.7 ED UVA? Or Wait and See?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:19 pm

UVA WL = rejection.

UVA isn't going to let a white dood in without a 3.85 or a 170. No matter what.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pretzel and 6 guests