Please rate my plan Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Anacreon

Bronze

Please rate my plan

Post by Anacreon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 am

Hi all. December taker here; scored a 171. I'm still a junior but I plan on applying ED to U.Va. this coming September.

Here are my credentials:
171 (not so willing to re-take)
2.90-3 by the end of the Spring semester
PT work during soph. and jr. years
FT summer job between soph. and jr. year and projected between my jr. and sr. year.
student government work
a decent number of volunteer hours [over 100 a year, although they're all undocumented] (coordinated volunteering for a number of on campus organizations)
positive grade trend

So for the purposes of this experiment let's say my GPA is at 2.95 by the time I send out my ED app. to Virginia late this summer. What are my chances?

Assuming I get rejected or waitlisted (gpa below their seemingly hard 3.0 floor and 171 lsat not above their 75%ile) I'd want to get my senior year credits and boost the GPA to several points over 3. Maybe 3.15? Let's say 3.1 even. I'd also want to get a few years work experience. Something like AmeriCorps VISTA Legal Aid.

My first choice again would be Virginia (ED) followed by Northwestern. Where else should I look? I admit this is looking very far ahead but give me credit for coming at you with an actual lsat score! ;)

BlueDiamond

Silver

Re: Please rate my plan

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:39 am

the Americorps thing isn't a good idea if you're only using it for a LS soft.. only do it if you actually want to or be prepared for a miserable few years.. by all means if your interest is genuine I'd actually say it should be your first choice after undergrad

ill let someone else answer all the rest

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:14 am

boost your GPA. Even if it means waiting a year and just taking classes. With a sub 3.0 or 3.0 every .1 counts IMO. A 2.9 is looked at much differently than a 3.02 even though there is really no difference between the two.

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Definitly work hard and raise your GPA. The Americorps sounds like a bad idea if it's not genuine as previously noted. Try to strengthen your softs if you can too. They are lacking.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 pm

UVA couldn't care less about your softs. As others have said, get that GPA up. Take easy classes (take extra credit hours, like some cheesecake online class or something) and ACE them; you should be able to raise that GPA by alot more than .03.

Waiting a year is a good thing, IMO. You'll be amazed how much a year of FT work matures you and sharpens your focus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't UVA have like a [secret] 3.0 GPA floor?

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Definitly work hard and raise your GPA. The Americorps sounds like a bad idea if it's not genuine as previously noted. Try to strengthen your softs if you can too. They are lacking.
ACV interest is genuine PLUS there's almost no way I couldn't be hired (a plus ITE coming from a SLAC w/ a humanities degree).

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:UVA couldn't care less about your softs. As others have said, get that GPA up. Take easy classes (take extra credit hours, like some cheesecake online class or something) and ACE them; you should be able to raise that GPA by alot more than .03.

Waiting a year is a good thing, IMO. You'll be amazed how much a year of FT work matures you and sharpens your focus.
GPA would only get to acceptable Virginia level if I wait out my senior year; so I'd have to get some WE anyway.

Anacreon

Bronze

Post by Anacreon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Gotti wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...but doesn't UVA have like a [secret] 3.0 GPA floor?
Just checked LSN.

Also if I served in Virginia it would help establish residency. A bonus, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”