Backing out of ED

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ClancyTom

Backing out of ED

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

So, I applied to Duke round 2 ed. I think I'm going to switch to RD at Duke.

However I will only do so if:

A.) I have at least a 50% shot at Michigan (applied December 17th, but haven't gone complete yet). AND,
B.) I have at least a 20% shot at Berkeley (applied late Dec. and currently UR) AND,
C.) I have at least a 50% shot at UCLA (applied late Dec. and currently UR).

Necessary information

1.) 167 o. / 169 d.
2.) 3.8
3.) Average Softs
4.) Not an URM
5.) California Resident
6.) I realize that switching to RD at Duke will give me a basically 0-5% chance of getting in.

Given the necessary information, will conditions A, B, & C be met? I'm most interested in Michigan.

ATR

Re: Backing out of ED

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 pm

I think conditions A-C are met. Berekley's tough to predict, though, because of their admissions philosophy. Are you allowed to back out of EDing?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:39 pm

atresia wrote:I think conditions A-C are met. Berekley's tough to predict, though, because of their admissions philosophy. Are you allowed to back out of EDing?

Some schools let you, all you can do is ask and see.

Backing out of ED isn't always allowed, nor is it always a surefire way to get yourself rejected. However, it is best to assume those two things until proven otherwise.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:40 pm

If they won't let you convert to RD, you can still withdraw I imagine. Not ideal, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 pm

I would love to get at least one or two more TLS opinions on this. Any added information on chances at Michigan or the best way to back out of ED cordially would be great.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 pm

169s seem to be doing very well this cycle at Michigan: http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Fwiw, I backed out of ED at Penn and was still accepted (and will likely be attending anyhow, haha). I was one of the first people on TLS to be accepted regular decision, which makes me think that maybe they made the decision on me ED and just didn't change it when I switched to RD. But either way, backing out of ED doesn't necessarily mean your chances go down to 0-5%.

I think you have a good shot at M, but its hard to tell this late in the cycle. B is hard to get a read on either way, especially since they're so freaking GPA heavy.

ETA: RC fail, saw that you already applied to M. I think you should be in at both Michigan and UCLA, moreso UCLA than Michigan.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Yea... but I still feel as though it's a late app, because they were waiting for my december scores. Did write the "Why Michigan" essay.

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Honestly, stuff gets unpredictable with late apps. No one on TLS is going to be able to definitely tell you that your chances at those three particular schools are above those particular levels, because none of us REALLY know. Especially not with Berkeley. I would be surprised if you didn't get into UCLA and I *think* you should be in at Michigan, but nobody here knows the answers for sure. It's your gamble in the end.

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Time to roll the dice!!!!

What did you write or say when you retracted your ED? A short sentence or two? A paragraph addendum?

czelede

Postby czelede » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:06 pm

ClancyTom wrote:Time to roll the dice!!!!

What did you write or say when you retracted your ED? A short sentence or two? A paragraph addendum?

I called first, briefly explaining my situation and asking whether or not it would be possible to be considered for RD instead. They looked up my file, told me it was okay and to send it over in writing. My email was brief - maybe a paragraph or 4 sentences. I reiterated that the decision did not reflect (a change in) my interest in the school itself, but rather that I just wanted the flexibility. I can pm to you if you'd like.

Good luck! I think you'll be in at M and UCLA, so you shouldn't have much to worry about :)

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Dude, I'm having the same dilemma and with the same exact schools!!! I'm a 169, 3.9+ GPA, and ED'd to Duke for Round II. I also took the Dec. LSAT, but have my apps to Michigan and UCLA in, and I'm still dreaming on Berkeley! Wow! I'm stressing like a mofo trying to decide what to do, but I think I'm just going to switch to RD.

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:00 pm

i don't understand why you'd switch. what does it hurt to stay ED? (forgive my ignorance)

ClancyTom

Postby ClancyTom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Because I'm not 100% sure that Duke is the best choice, and if I get into Duke ED, then I have to withdraw my apps everywhere else. In other words, I'll have no options other than Duke. With my numbers, I still have a good shot of getting into a couple of other good schools. And also, I will be able to use my scholarships at other schools to possibly negotiate merit aid. ED removes that possibility.

Rory1987

Postby Rory1987 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

ClancyTom wrote:Because I'm not 100% sure that Duke is the best choice, and if I get into Duke ED, then I have to withdraw my apps everywhere else. In other words, I'll have no options other than Duke. With my numbers, I still have a good shot of getting into a couple of other good schools. And also, I will be able to use my scholarships at other schools to possibly negotiate merit aid. ED removes that possibility.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to call and drop ED -- but I may have to kill self if Cornell and Michigan then ding me :cry:

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Good luck.
Last edited by NorCalBruin on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm interested to. I always figured it means you have a 0% shot afterward.

Return to “What are my chances?”