3.58 GPA/179 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Jolena

New

3.58 GPA/179 LSAT

Post by Jolena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:38 am

Hi guys,
First time poster, somewhat-long time lurker. I have a low-to-average UGPA from UCLA but am very happy and incredibly relieved with my LSATs. I graduated in 2008 and have been working mostly at a desk job but nothing unique or mind-blowing. I did spend 5 months working in orphanages in Romania, but overall my "softs" aren't that impressive. Non-URM, female.

I have no delusions about HYS, but I would like to see what you guys think of my chances at one of the CCNs or the other T14. I would much rather not apply ED since I don't want to miss out on any potential scholarships, but with my GPA, will I even get any? For law school, my dream-reach is Columbia. What about GULC? I have a soft spot for GULC and a love of DC. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Boalt, since I know they place less emphasis on the LSATs (shame since I live an hour from San Francisco). Also, with employment so bad, I can't expect it to be much better 4 or 5 years from now. How much different are job prospects between, say--a graduate of NYU and a graduate of GULC?

I'm planning on working for another year at least before applying, so it's not anytime soon. I'm just curious where I stand and if there's anything I can do short of joining the Peacecorps or the army to improve my chances at a good school.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Curry

Re: 3.58 GPA/179 LSAT

Post by Curry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:40 am

In from CCN on down. I would apply to HYS. You have an outside shot.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 am

Curry wrote:In from CCN on down. I would apply to HYS. You have an outside shot.
+1. Send in your applications early for whatever cycle you apply for, and I assume you'll be matriculating at one of CCN. You may have a small chance at HLS, but your GPA hurts. Spend some time on your personal statement and get good LORs to maximize this chance.

Jolena

New

Post by Jolena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:09 am

Yeah, I kind of screwed up or just ran out of steam in undergrad. If I do send an app to HYS, it'd probably be only to one, but I'd rather be in either New York or Washington DC to be honest. Do you think I have a shot at Columbia or NYU without an ED? What about potential money at someplace like GULC?

Curry

Post by Curry » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 am

Jolena wrote:Yeah, I kind of screwed up or just ran out of steam in undergrad. If I do send an app to HYS, it'd probably be only to one, but I'd rather be in either New York or Washington DC to be honest. Do you think I have a shot at Columbia or NYU without an ED? What about potential money at someplace like GULC?
You are going to get money at MVP on down. CCN will be tough - you might get money you might not. And if you apply to only one of HYS, apply to H. And don't pick a school based on wanting to be in DC. DC is the hardest market to break into; your best bet is to t get into the strongest school you can. You'll get into all the school's that place well in NYC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jolena

New

Post by Jolena » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:59 am

Well, the reason I'm strongly in favor of DC is because I have a strong interest in foreign policy and security studies and am considering a joint degree, possibly through GULC and SFS. Same reason for New York, except Columbia and SIPA are a reach. I'm a good test-taker so I have pretty stellar GREs, but grad school applications are less numbers-oriented than law school, hence why I'm taking another year or two off. I need to figure out if law school is worth the investment or if I should just apply to grad school. Getting a professional PhD (not academic) is also a lot of money and a helluva lot more time, and perhaps law would pay off more in the end. Basically I'm trying to find where my grad school and law school prospects intersect and go from there. Obviously, you guys are the ones I go to for law prospects :) Thanks for the replies btw.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Curry wrote:In from CCN on down. I would apply to HYS. You have an outside shot.
I agree with this. From what I understand, YHS has a soft GPA floor around 3.7. That makes it unlikely for you to gain admission unless you have some unique factor working for you.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

atresia wrote:
I agree with this. From what I understand, YHS has a soft GPA floor around 3.7. That makes it unlikely for you to gain admission unless you have some unique factor working for you.
It's actually more like 3.8. But, OP, you will get into, probably, every school in the country outside of those three. And, you will have shots at money at most schools as well.

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm

My numbers were similar--just a bit lower (3.53/177). I ended up EDing to NYU because I was absolutely certain it was my first choice (PI interest). I got in, and retrospectively, I probably would have been fine RD, but I just wasn't willing to take the chance given my GPA. My only concern with having applied ED is the possibility that I hurt my chance for scholarships. I was also a few years out of undergrad (more than you) with no spectacular work experience, and a master's degree. If I were you, I'd apply regular decision to CCN, and also put applications in at HYS. Good luck, and congrats on the LSAT!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”