Do they average LSATs or not?!?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Cpwilson

Do they average LSATs or not?!?

Postby Cpwilson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 am

I have read so much conflicting info on this subject, so I was curious as to what everyone else knows about it. I have a 163 and a 172 LSAT. Will these be averaged at the T14, or will they look predominantly at my higher score??

ATR

Re: Do they average LSATs or not?!?

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:35 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Scroll down to see the list of schools that average, takes the highest, employs a holistic analysis, or did not respond.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 am

That list is definitely outdated. I'd say a good rule of thumb nowadays is that a significant jump (significant being defined by schools themselves, whether through admissions dean interview tidbits or elsewhere) will usually give the higher score much more weight. After all, after the ABA's reporting requirement change, it's in the schools' best interest to take higher scores, all else being equal. Of course, it's claimed that schools like Harvard and NYU still average, but for example, I've gotten into at least one of the "averages" schools that I definitely would not have with my average LSAT.

ATR

Postby ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 am

T6Hopeful wrote:That list is definitely outdated... After all, after the ABA's reporting requirement change, it's in the schools' best interest to take higher scores, all else being equal. Of course, it's claimed that schools like Harvard and NYU still average, but for example, I've gotten into at least one of the "averages" schools that I definitely would not have with my average LSAT.

Really? That's good news for me. I didn't realize that article was outdated.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Someone actually went through all the schools' FAQs to see what they said about it. This is what I usually referred to when deciding where to apply:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107648

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm

University of Washington only averages if your higher scores is within your "score band"

Not trying to hijack, but how do you write an addendum for LSAT scores if there isn't a reason besides studying better/harder/having a really good day?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:11 pm

akili wrote:University of Washington only averages if your higher scores is within your "score band"

Not trying to hijack, but how do you write an addendum for LSAT scores if there isn't a reason besides studying better/harder/having a really good day?

Is there a source for this information? That could have major implications for my app.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 pm

akili wrote:University of Washington only averages if your higher scores is within your "score band"

When I was researching this forum on this exact issue, I found that responses were pretty split. Some people said that you should acknowledge it before the committee does (and possibly asks for one), while some say just let the higher score speak for itself. Some schools want to see something no matter what, so I just went ahead and attached the same one for each school, not making excuses per se, but rather simply stating that the higher score is more indicative of my potential. There was really nothing else I could have written - I wasn't sick during my first test, I just got shot by nerves. I didn't even really study for my retake (I took two more practice tests under timed conditions, but over four months) and hit 12 points higher, right near the top of my PT scores.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:13 pm

akili wrote:Not trying to hijack, but how do you write an addendum for LSAT scores if there isn't a reason besides studying better/harder/having a really good day?

I'd say just be honest as possible. I'm sure law schools see huge increases for no particular reason all the time. They just want to know what factors went into the score increase and why they should weigh your higher score the most. Studying better and being more prepared is still an honorable reason. It shows you want to improve.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Adjudicator wrote:

Is there a source for this information? That could have major implications for my app.

http://www.law.washington.edu/admissions/Apply/JD/
"If an applicant has two or more scores on the same score scale, the Law School will use the average of an applicant's scores."

I guess there's no proof they DON'T average is they aren't in the same scale, but it still gave me hope!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Heres what I dont get about that - You take the LSAT, get a 160. Your score band is 157-163, meaning you could have realistically scored those scores depending on the test/whatever. So when you retake and get a 163 why do they average ? Why isnt it just obvious that 163 is your score ?

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Sandro777 wrote:

Heres what I dont get about that - You take the LSAT, get a 160. Your score band is 157-163, meaning you could have realistically scored those scores depending on the test/whatever. So when you retake and get a 163 why do they average ? Why isnt it just obvious that 163 is your score ?

I have no idea! It doesn't really make sense to me and really sucks for an applicant that worked their butt off and got those 3 points. 163 was actually my nightmare score just for that reason!

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Sandro777 wrote:

That's not how it works. While I would agree that the LSAT is only good as an indicator of, well... your ability to take the LSAT, your score band is based on each score you get. Yes, your first score band is 157-163, and your second score band is 160-166, but that doesn't mean that it's "obvious" that 163 is your score. In fact, if anything, the fact that you got a 163 right after scoring a 160 would make me think even more that the 163 is simply the top of your 157-163 score band, rather than standing its own ground. Statistically speaking, your average score, 161.5, has a score band that encompasses your old and new score, and it's more reflective of your range.

I'm not saying that you guys didn't (or if this is hypothetical, wouldn't) work hard for that score increase. But the standardized test is just that... standardized, and the statisticians at LSAC have come up with those score bands as SOME way to quantify applicants. When the score bands stop overlapping, that's when schools start to consider taking the higher score, since it's more likely that the lower score is a statistical anomaly. But if a school wants to average, I don't see anything wrong with them averaging a 160-163.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:03 pm

IMO that opens up a huge can of worms with score bands if you choose to look at it that way. I'm still standing by my idea that if the score band tells you could have received X score and then you later receive X score that X score should be used rather than hurting the applicant by averaging.

Return to “What are my chances?”