3.69 / 169 UGA, Texas, Vandy, Cornell

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pricer

3.69 / 169 UGA, Texas, Vandy, Cornell

Postby Pricer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:40 pm

I know how LSP works, but it is late in the cycle. I've gone through the applicants on LSN to get some kind of idea as to where I stand, but I am curious what TLS has to say.

3.7 GPA, 3.69 LSDAS GPA, 169 LSAT.
Below average softs, DUI/MIP freshman year April 2007.
LoRs include a professor, a lawyer/family friend, and a state rep/family friend.

What are my chances at UGA, Texas, Vanderbilt and Cornell?

I think I am in at UGA, as my GPA is at their median and my LSAT is above their 75%. I also went to UGA for undergrad, and of my LoR writers, the professor got his PhD at UGA, the lawyer got his undergrad and JD degrees from UGA, and the representative got his undergrad and pharmacy degrees from UGA. I sent the application in Friday and turned in the certification letter the same afternoon.

I intend to apply to Texas, Vanderbilt, and Cornell sometime early this coming week, hopefully all by Tuesday at 5:00. Do I stand a chance at these schools this late in the cycle? It is my understanding that Texas can only accept 35% out of state, so I figured I would need numbers closer to the 75% than the medians. Cornell has the lowest LSAT and GPA medians of any T-14, so I am worried that even though my numbers are at their medians, other factors, such as my lack of extra curricular activities and whatnot during undergrad, will prevent me from being accepted this late. I think I am okay at Vanderbilt, but would like to know your thoughts on this.

EDIT: I failed to mention that the 169 is my second attempt. My first attempt turned out a 162, which was very disappointing. I was PTing in the high 160s and low to mid 170s, averaging around 171-172. I did not apply last cycle so that I could retake this year, but due to an internship and lack of funds, I was forced to skip October and wait until the December test. Should I acknowledge the score increase in an addendum to Texas, Vandy, and Cornell?
Last edited by Pricer on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Re: 3.69 / 169 UGA, Texas, Vandy, Cornell

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm

Applied right around now last cycle with 168/3.75, in at both Texas and Vandy with $$.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:09 am

I wouldn't mention the lsat score increase unless the school asks you to. It's a noble improvment (congrats), but it's not like it's jumbo-normous.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 am

UGA -- in
Texas -- $
Vanderbilt -- probably in
Cornell -- in

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:14 am

I'm tagging this because I'm curious too. (applied to Vandy and Cornell yesterday; Texas earlier)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:18 am

In with at least some cash to all four, I'd say. Maybe sticker at Cornell, but I remember some people last year getting a little money with ~168/3.7.

policestate1234

Postby policestate1234 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:19 am

Not sure if mentioned but you have a good chance of getting a nice fat schollie from UGA

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 am

policestate1234 wrote:Not sure if mentioned but you have a good chance of getting a nice fat schollie from UGA

In at UGA with big money yes, but OP don't go if you have biglaw aspirations. You can do much better.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:37 am

I would like big law, but could be happy settling for less. I'm more worried about coming out of a top law school with lots of debt and a chance at big law than coming out of UGA with no debt and a very small chance at big law.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll update this thread when I hear anything back just in case any of you are still curious.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Pricer wrote:I would like big law, but could be happy settling for less. I'm more worried about coming out of a top law school with lots of debt and a chance at big law than coming out of UGA with no debt and a very small chance at big law.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll update this thread when I hear anything back just in case any of you are still curious.

Cornell places #6 for Big Law, but I'm not sure you'll get money there. Texas is a crap shoot because you're not a resident, and besides, I'm not sure it's a great choice if you don't plan to work in Texas or elsewhere in the SW.

Vanderbilt is probably your best bet for acceptance + money + top placement in the Atlanta legal market. I'd plan on going there right now and try again next cycle in the off chance you're disappointed.

That said, why UGA over Emory? Isn't Emory better for getting Atlanta Big Law?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:08 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Cornell places #6 for Big Law, but I'm not sure you'll get money there. Texas is a crap shoot because you're not a resident, and besides, I'm not sure it's a great choice if you don't plan to work in Texas or elsewhere in the SW.

Vanderbilt is probably your best bet for acceptance + money + top placement in the Atlanta legal market. I'd plan on going there right now and try again next cycle in the off chance you're disappointed.

I think I would be happy working in Texas. One of the only reasons I do not want to go to UGA is because I would be limited to Atlanta. I do love Atlanta, but I have lived in GA for almost 23 years. I could see myself in Dallas or Houston.

Waiting until next cycle is not an option. I owe student loans and have two maxed credit cards from undergrad. I graduated in December 09 (a semester early), so starting Fall 2011 is already delaying a year and a half. I am having a lot of trouble paying back the debt with the BS jobs I can find, and any full time high paying job using my degree asks for a time commitment that I am not willing to give. I want to get back in school ASAP.

UGA over Emory for several reasons. First, the price. UGA is significantly cheaper than Emory. Second, the location. If I am in school and not making a lawyer's salary, I would rather be in Athens than Atlanta. Third, from everything I have read on TLS and many other places, including talking to big lawyers in Atlanta, UGA has better placement in Atlanta than Emory does. Apparently, despite Emory being private and ranking a few spots higher, UGA's alumni base in Atlanta is much stronger and more loyal to the school. Last year, my original number one choice was Emory. After doing my research, I've decided UGA over Emory.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:10 pm

niederbomb wrote:Cornell places #6 for Big Law, but I'm not sure you'll get money there.

This isn't really a factor in determining scholarship totals.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 pm

You are certainly applying to the right schools. You should be a very strong candidate at all, in my opinion.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 pm

I just got a fee waiver from UCLA, so I figure I may as well apply there now, too.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 pm

I'd expect you to get into all of those.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 pm

niederbomb wrote:
Pricer wrote:I would like big law, but could be happy settling for less. I'm more worried about coming out of a top law school with lots of debt and a chance at big law than coming out of UGA with no debt and a very small chance at big law.

Texas probably isn't the best choice of the 4 if OP was sure he wanted to practice in Atlanta, but most of the big Atlanta firms still do OCI at UT. The added benefit of going to UT is that OP gets to establish Texas "ties" so that Houston, Dallas, and Austin markets would be possible to get.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:56 pm

What about michigan for OP. 169 seems to be doing well there so far, although a lot of folds who applied late last year got waitlisted. Thoughts?

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Well, so far my cycle has been more than disappointing.

I got WLed at Texas even though I have the median GPA and the 75th percentile LSAT. I got WLed at Vandy because I did not get the opportunity to do the interview, and apparently my Why Vandy isn't the same reason they think I should want Vandy.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:39 pm

niederbomb wrote:

What the hell? Since when did Cornell place #6 for biglaw...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Pricer wrote:Well, so far my cycle has been more than disappointing.

I got WLed at Texas even though I have the median GPA and the 75th percentile LSAT. I got WLed at Vandy because I did not get the opportunity to do the interview, and apparently my Why Vandy isn't the same reason they think I should want Vandy.

Damn Pricer. I was sure you'd get at least one of Vandy or Tex. $5 says one of Cornell or Mich works out though.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm

I don't get how you didn't get into Texas. I didn't write a why Texas either with a 168/3.8 and I got in.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Did you go back over your app and see if there was something glaring that hurt you?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:

Did you go back over your app and see if there was something glaring that hurt you?

This.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:58 pm

rad law wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

This.

There was nothing. I did not write a Why Texas essay, and that was very stupid. I should have. I got hot headed and thought my numbers would be enough.

Vanderbilt makes sense. I had the median LSAT and a tad bit below median GPA. I took the December LSAT, so an interview was not an option for me. I fully expected a WL here, I am just still a little disappointed in myself.

Also, I have a DUI, MIP, and fake ID charge from an arrest freshman year. It is the only time I have ever had any contact with the police, other than a single dropped speeding ticket for 14 over. I disclosed the full details of the incident, accepting responsibility. I was also placed on academic probation because of this, but disclosed all of the details about this, as well. The academic probation was for violating the school's alcohol policy when I got arrested, so I made sure that the admissions committee could see that these were not separate incidents, but the same. I do not think that this was the dealbreaker, though. If this had mattered, I feel like it would have led to a straight rejection, not a waitlist. It was not an issue at UGA, where I was admitted.

We will see how the rest of my cycle turns out. I still expect to get into Cornell, UCLA, and USC. I do not know that I want to attend any of these, though. If I get into Michigan or Virginia, I will email Deans Ingram and Guthrie personally thanking them for the rejections, haha. Anyway, should I receive straight rejects for the rest of my cycle, I have a $10k per year scholarship with in state tuition to UGA contingent on a 2.7 GPA. This is about top 65%, which I believe is a safe bet, especially with in state tuition at $16k even if I lose the $10k a year. I have legal connections in Atlanta. I just really wanted a chance to get out of Georgia for a while. I don't want to be stuck in Cali, where I have no connections. Vanderbilt offered me great prospects in Atlanta and some portability, while UT offered full access to the southwest market. UVA or Michigan, though...one can only dream haha

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm still kicking myself for not applying to Berkeley, too. I should have taken the money I wasted on the Texas application and spent it there.

Return to “What are my chances?”