ED to UVA with 3.9, 170?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
niederbomb

Re: ED to UVA with 3.9, 170?

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:50 pm

mr_toad wrote:
niederbomb wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Wait, you got a Vandy scholly offer already???

My mistake - it was a UT scholarship letter, nothing from Vandy yet except a superb admissions packet full of brilliant pictures of hot girls (well law school hot anyway) and the Nashville skyline and a nice bound book that I haven't looked at.

Just $9,400/year from UT. Seriously.

It seems like they tapped out the OOS waiver offers relatively quickly...

Problem is - I'm in-state.

If they just think I won't attend, then why not YP me? Why admit me at all, and mail all their admissions packet materials air mail to Asia, just so I can attend....MP?

Or maybe it's late in the cycle, and no one will give me anything. If so, it's ED to U of C next August. :D
Last edited by niederbomb on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

mr_toad wrote:
niederbomb wrote:Just $9,400/year from UT. Seriously.

It seems like they tapped out the OOS waiver offers relatively quickly...

I got one on Friday.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:51 pm

If you wait and apply next cycle I think you'll have some great opportunities. Check my lsn for what a 170/3.96 brings you.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Don't ED to UVA!! Your numbers are competitive at most of the T-10 (and not terrible for HYS).

If you're going to ED somewhere, at least go CCN or bust.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:55 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:If you wait and apply next cycle I think you'll have some great opportunities. Check my lsn for what a 170/3.96 brings you.

If I squeak into U of C or [gasp] Stanford this cycle, no reason to have waited. In hindsight, I should have only applied to my top choices, but fee waivers are hard to ignore if they come from places like Philadelphia and Nashville.

So would I be dumb to withdraw and apply next cycle if I don't get CNS?

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:59 pm

bhan87 wrote:Don't ED to UVA!! Your numbers are competitive at most of the T-10 (and not terrible for HYS).

Niederbom wrote: I had a serious negative soft, so I expected to get shut out of the T10 without ED. So far, I have, if anything, over performed my numbers, with the exception of a WL at Duke and a lousy UT scholarship.

I got the following advice from TLS: "Go to another country..." "You'll probably get rejected everywhere you apply." TLS didn't give completely accurate advice. The only school I've gotten rejected at so far is actually in Canada. Dammit U of T!!

I did not ED to UVA. But I am seriously thinking about EDing to U of C next cycle. Or taking the June LSAT to get off some waitlists.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:04 pm

If you're in state in TX then you got the right amount of money. They give about 9k a year to 170 LSATs, seemingly, and then if they really want you they add an OOS exemption. Since you're in-state, they didn't do that, but they didn't treat you relatively worse. I suppose you could look at it that way, that they're treating a random OOS person like me way better since the scholly ends up being worth 76k over three, but the relative COA ends up about the same.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 pm

niederbomb wrote:
bhan87 wrote:Don't ED to UVA!! Your numbers are competitive at most of the T-10 (and not terrible for HYS).

Niederbom wrote: I had a serious negative soft, so I expected to get shut out of the T10 without ED. So far, I have, if anything, over performed my numbers, with the exception of a WL at Duke and a lousy UT scholarship.

I got the following advice from TLS: "Go to another country..." "You'll probably get rejected everywhere you apply." TLS didn't give completely accurate advice. The only school I've gotten rejected at so far is actually in Canada. Dammit U of T!!

I did not ED to UVA. But I am seriously thinking about EDing to U of C next cycle. Or taking the June LSAT to get off some waitlists.

i think EDing to U of C next cycle is the way to go. I you do, make sure and hammer out a good PS bc I think that really can help ya out (this coming from a guy who got in with below median GPA and below 25% LSAT)

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
niederbomb wrote:

i think EDing to U of C next cycle is the way to go. I you do, make sure and hammer out a good PS bc I think that really can help ya out (this coming from a guy who got in with below median GPA and below 25% LSAT)

What about retaking the LSAT (3rd time)? Scary to even think about. December was a disaster, but I still miraculously got a 170, not far below my PT average. Say, I got some sleep before the June test, got better than 15/23 at logic games, and got a 173, would that get me into U of C?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm

justadude55 wrote:
parsi wrote:Can someone explain to me why people are sometimes scared to post their numbers?

it can reveal your identity. law schools say they are very experienced at being able to link somebody's writing style after reading a PS, and #'s make it evident particularly if you're active in threads of schools you've applied to, and list your state of residency.

is it possible law schools have better things than find out who TLS posters are? of course, they do. but i'm sure they check the threads much like the front office of sports teams listens to sports talk radio to get the fans' perspective, and market more effectively. it's at least possible, they'll see a post with #'s, a location and certain writing style and think, "hey, is that jim? the splitter we've been debating on. i'm not sure i like that post. deny!"

But if you're not a douche couldn't they also say is that Jim the splitter we've been debating on. I really like that post accept! SO basically by that logic you should only fear revealing your numbers or who you are for that matter if you plan on being a dirtbag, troll, or douche. I can understand people wanting privacy and there is nothing wrong with that but I just don't understand when people hide behind the law schools may be watching us. Well don't act like a jerk and you have nothing to worry about.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 am

I got Penn with decent $$ this cycle. So ED to UVA would have been a terrible idea. Now the choice is between retake/reapply/ED CCN or take Penn with 40% scholly.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:51 am

niederbomb wrote:I got the following advice from TLS: "Go to another country..." "You'll probably get rejected everywhere you apply." TLS didn't give completely accurate advice.

This is bullshit and you know it. While you are speaking the truth, you had a ridiculously rare and horrible sounding negative soft that people (now that we have seen your cycle's results) clearly overreacted to. I don't think it is then fair to extrapolate that TLS gives bad advice in general when they happened to in your case for obvious reasons.

bearsfan1

Postby bearsfan1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 pm

bk1 wrote:
niederbomb wrote:I got the following advice from TLS: "Go to another country..." "You'll probably get rejected everywhere you apply." TLS didn't give completely accurate advice.

This is bullshit and you know it. While you are speaking the truth, you had a ridiculously rare and horrible sounding negative soft that people (now that we have seen your cycle's results) clearly overreacted to. I don't think it is then fair to extrapolate that TLS gives bad advice in general when they happened to in your case for obvious reasons.

What am I missing here? Did he kill somebody or something? Didn't his first post say that he was like 16? I'm lost.

Return to “What are my chances?”