Chance at Yale (3.70 from HYP, 173 LSAT retake)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hypothalamus

Chance at Yale (3.70 from HYP, 173 LSAT retake)

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:24 pm

It's too late at this point in the cycle to apply elsewhere, so I want to give the hardest option a shot this year, and apply to other schools next cycle if necessary.

My stats are:
3.7 (HYP, major and two minors)
162, 173 (I didn't really study hard between the two tests, but I wasn't feeling well on the first test day and stupidly didn't cancel)

I know my chances aren't stellar at Yale, especially given their unclear policy on LSAT retakes. Still, what do you think?

I'd say I'm one of those well-rounded applicants, potentially even one of the somewhat "interesting" ones. I come from a disadvantaged background from a developing country, have worked throughout my undergrad, am a 4-year varsity athlete with some achievements, speak a few languages, and have some decent summer work experience with public interest NGOs. Hopefully, I will write some good essays too :). My LORs should be quite good.

vertex

Re: Chance at Yale (3.70 from HYP, 173 LSAT retake)

Postby vertex » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Have you considered ED UVa? It's late for RD this cycle, but I think with ED you'd have a shot.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:33 pm

vertex wrote:Have you considered ED UVa? It's late for RD this cycle, but I think with ED you'd have a shot.

:?

But, to answer your question, it's hard to know for Yale, but, from what you described, I think you have a very weak chance. Your GPA is low, LSAT is just ok for them, and you don't seem to have too much that makes you stand out as different or unique (relatively, of course, to those at Yale). The HYP will help, but i don't see it happening. Honestly, if I were you, i'd expect to get shut out of HYS. But, apply to all of them, write good essays, and see what happens.

ATR

Postby ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree with Patriot about Y. I'll guess that you get two of CCN, and most schools below (mediocre chance at Berkeley and UVA, unless you ED at UVA which would be dumb).

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

hypothalamus wrote:It's too late at this point in the cycle to apply elsewhere, so I want to give the hardest option a shot this year, and apply to other schools next cycle if necessary.

My stats are:
3.7 (HYP, major and two minors)
162, 173 (I didn't really study hard between the two tests, but I wasn't feeling well on the first test day and stupidly didn't cancel)

I know my chances aren't stellar at Yale, especially given their unclear policy on LSAT retakes. Still, what do you think?

I'd say I'm one of those well-rounded applicants, potentially even one of the somewhat "interesting" ones. I come from a disadvantaged background from a developing country, have worked throughout my undergrad, am a 4-year varsity athlete with some achievements, speak a few languages, and have some decent summer work experience with public interest NGOs. Hopefully, I will write some good essays too :). My LORs should be quite good.

No one's chances are "good" at Yale. They reject more than half of applicants with both a 3.75+ and 175+.

With that being said, it is probably worth the application fee, at least.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm

I'd be applying with a fee waiver, so it's not like I'd be wasting $100 anyway. And I don't think making the effort to put together a good application is a waste of time, either. Basically, I've decided to apply, while planning for rejection and looking for a job :).

I agree with all of you that my chances are slim at best (though, according to LSP, 27%??!). Then again, what worries me as a weak link in my application is not so much my GPA as the uncertainty about that low first LSAT...

So, I guess, since we all agree I'm most likely getting rejected even with amazing essays, what do you think about next year? (Money will be a huge issue.)
My top choice schools are Harvard, NYU (<3), and Penn. I think I'd be interested in some of the California schools, but I've never been to the West Coast, so I'm not sure. But Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford are certainly on my radar. Thoughts?

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Oh, and I'm foreign, so my application might be viewed somewhat differently from other people's.... In a good or bad way, I don't know.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 pm

hypothalamus wrote:I'd be applying with a fee waiver, so it's not like I'd be wasting $100 anyway. And I don't think making the effort to put together a good application is a waste of time, either. Basically, I've decided to apply, while planning for rejection and looking for a job :).

I agree with all of you that my chances are slim at best (though, according to LSP, 27%??!). Then again, what worries me as a weak link in my application is not so much my GPA as the uncertainty about that low first LSAT...

So, I guess, since we all agree I'm most likely getting rejected even with amazing essays, what do you think about next year? (Money will be a huge issue.)
My top choice schools are Harvard, NYU (<3), and Penn. I think I'd be interested in some of the California schools, but I've never been to the West Coast, so I'm not sure. But Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford are certainly on my radar. Thoughts?

LSP isn't really applicable to Yale and Stanford because it just looks at numbers. If you look at LSN you'll see HYS all seem to have soft GPA floors at 3.8. They will dip lower, but it has to be for the right applicant, which, from what you described, doesn't necessarily seem like you. But, I expect you will get into every school you want below the top 3. You may well get into one of HYS, but, again, i'd expect to get rejected.

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:42 am

hypothalamus wrote:I'd be applying with a fee waiver, so it's not like I'd be wasting $100 anyway. And I don't think making the effort to put together a good application is a waste of time, either. Basically, I've decided to apply, while planning for rejection and looking for a job :).

NYU is said to average LSATs, though maybe they make an exception for a big jump. I think Harvard says that they will basically look at the higher one if it is five points higher at least. But Harvard might be a bit of a reach anyway because your GPA is below median and your LSAT is just at median even with the second try.

You are above Columbia's median LSAT and they are supposed to ignore your lower one; who knows if they actually do. And regardless, apply everywhere. You might not be likely for YHS but you aren't an autoreject by any means.

If money is a huge issue, just apply to everywhere in the T14. You'll get money somewhere.

Return to “What are my chances?”