Army Ranger applying to Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AztecaRex

Re: Army Ranger applying to Law School

Postby AztecaRex » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 pm

wesmsmith wrote:Wow... Honestly I just wanted some input on law school options. I can assure you that I do not have American Flag tattoos, I don't like Toby Kieth, and I hate NASCAR. I am proud of who I am and where I come from but I also respect all walks of life. It's a misnomer that all military are flag waving bigots. I did what I did because it was exciting and important. Thanks for everyones input.

Hey mate, I just wanted to join the majority of people on this page and thank you for your service. As for where to apply, I think Northwestern is the place for you, since they love work experience and seemingly splitters. And I would agreethat Texas is definitely a good choice if you want to work in Texas (and you've got good chances there as well).

Best of luck to you, mate!

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am

I agree that NU is probably your best bet as far as the T-14 go. I think you probably have a great chance there.

Have you considered schools not in the T14? I know that places like UT, Vandy, GW and W&M are incredibly friendly to the military -- with that LSAT, you may be able to get money out of places a little farther down the food chain. I'm an Army captain at GW right now, and it's amazing how many former and current military members we have both among the students and in the faculty. Plus, DC is a great town if you're at all interested in military or veterans law, as we've got the Service Courts of Criminal Appeals and the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces in our backyard. If that's something you're interested in, it might be worth considering.

Enjoy law school whereever you end up, and RLTW. :)

wesmsmith

Postby wesmsmith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Honestly I am not obsessed with a T14 school. I am looking for the right fit for me and my family. I may come visit GW this summer. If I come up and you are in town maybe you could give me a tour?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm

7 years? Thank you for your service.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 pm

dextermorgan wrote:7 years? Thank you for your service.

7 deployments? God Bless you and your family!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:36 pm

If Texas, particularly Dallas, is where you'd want to be, throw an app at SMU. They should shower you with money. I know it's not T14, but I'd guess you can for damn near free, which has great merit.

UT is out with their GPA floor. UVA seems to do very well in Texas, as does Vanderbilt.

Also, thanks to whoever banned that idiot sophia. I've been waiting for that for a long time.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:40 am

kalvano wrote:If Texas, particularly Dallas, is where you'd want to be, throw an app at SMU. They should shower you with money. I know it's not T14, but I'd guess you can for damn near free, which has great merit.

UT is out with their GPA floor.
UVA seems to do very well in Texas, as does Vanderbilt.

Also, thanks to whoever banned that idiot sophia. I've been waiting for that for a long time.

Throw an ap at UT and WUSTL. I would not go below WUSTL.
I know a WUSTL law grad in Dallas who laughs about how the SMU kids all get turned around.
Dont put your eggs in that basket.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:56 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:
kalvano wrote:If Texas, particularly Dallas, is where you'd want to be, throw an app at SMU. They should shower you with money. I know it's not T14, but I'd guess you can for damn near free, which has great merit.

UT is out with their GPA floor.
UVA seems to do very well in Texas, as does Vanderbilt.

Throw an ap at UT and WUSTL. I would not go below WUSTL.
I know a WUSTL law grad in Dallas who laughs about how the SMU kids all get turned around.
Dont put your eggs in that basket.

Not to be rude, but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. If Dallas is where he wants to be, and he can attend damn near free, SMU would be a very good choice. And I never suggested that he should only apply there, I suggested that it was worth the application to see what kind of offer he gets.

Also, while you may not go below WUSTL, with that GPA, he won't have much a choice.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, while you may not go below WUSTL, with that GPA, he won't have much a choice.

Yes he will. 7 Special forces deployments is real hero shit, and someone at some really great school is going to notice that.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, while you may not go below WUSTL, with that GPA, he won't have much a choice.

Yes he will. 7 Special forces deployments is real hero shit, and someone at some really great school is going to notice that.

Depends on the school. I'm not saying he won't get in to a T14, but it would be worthwhile to explore some other options to see what happens. Seems like more schools are instituting a floor on numbers that no soft will overcome.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Renzo wrote:

Can I point at that technically, the rangers aren't special forces. I'm not trying to diminish what OP has done, but, just an observation.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Can I point at that technically, the rangers aren't special forces. I'm not trying to diminish what OP has done, but, just an observation.

This is correct. I believe he probably meant special operations, in which case he is correct.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

No, I know you're right. But "special operations forces" seemed like too much to type.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:19 pm

While the UGPA is unfortunate, you've obviously proven that you have matured and are capable of doing well academically along with your soft factors. That's a lot more than many people with low GPAs have going for them. Best of luck to you (I think you will do fine), and thank you for your service.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:24 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Just a quiet suggestion that we all keep this thread on topic, please. Thank you.
ok sorry, just got back from my hometown, which is a military base. And im tired of hearing about people that cant sit with their back to the door or are slapping their wives around.

lol, this was a bad attempt to troll.

oh yeah, it is all just a dream troll.....

go america, lets go to law school.

And this [deleted image] has earned sophia a permanent time out, compliments of your friendly, neighborhood Mod Squad

Haha what was the pic?

mala2

Postby mala2 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Veyron wrote:
wesmsmith wrote:Wow... Honestly I just wanted some input on law school options. I can assure you that I do not have American Flag tattoos, I don't like Toby Kieth, and I hate NASCAR. I am proud of who I am and where I come from but I also respect all walks of life. It's a misnomer that all military are flag waving bigots. I did what I did because it was exciting and important. Thanks for everyones input.

Yah man, sorry you had to put up with this shit. People who have lived TTT lives don't understand that far from the stereotype of the dumb bloodthirsty solder, some of the most able youth in our country choose to serve. I'm so sorry if you previous posters bagging on solders went to some shitty school where you sat around and bitched about the army all day. I went to an elite undergraduate institution and some of the brightest kids in our class decided to enter the military. These included kids in quant fields who could have gone to work for an investment bank instead. My brother pre-med and is thinking about going the medic route for a few years before he starts med-school even though that probably means a huge loss in earnings.

I would tell him not to. (I was in the army too). Might be able to do cool sh*t, might get stuck in El Paso ranking rocks for 4 years. Just apply to have the military pay for medical school or go in after medical school, i think he'd go in as a CPT and they pay off a lot of debt which is nice. Then he'd actually be able to use his medical skills for sure

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:lol, this was a bad attempt to troll.

oh yeah, it is all just a dream troll.....

go america, lets go to law school.

And this [deleted image] has earned sophia a permanent time out, compliments of your friendly, neighborhood Mod Squad

Haha what was the pic?

A dead Iraqi.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh. Wow. Poor taste.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 pm

kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Depends on the school. I'm not saying he won't get in to a T14, but it would be worthwhile to explore some other options to see what happens. Seems like more schools are instituting a floor on numbers that no soft will overcome.

But the other option does not have to be nearly a T2. He will have a lot of options with money; he won't have to dip down that far.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Oh. Wow. Poor taste.

Yes. FTR, since we're discussing it? That will get you a permaban.
Although in this case, the trolling alone was probably enough.

1evilo.aihpos

Postby 1evilo.aihpos » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Oh. Wow. Poor taste.

Yes. FTR, since we're discussing it? That will get you a permaban.
Although in this case, the trolling alone was probably enough.

+1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:37 pm

1evilo.aihpos wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Renzo wrote:

But the other option does not have to be nearly a T2. He will have a lot of options with money; he won't have to dip down that far.

You're making a mistake in placing too much weight on the school's rank. SMU far outplaces its rank in the Dallas area. Higher rank doesn't always equal better choice.

So I repeat - if he wants to work in Dallas and can go to SMU for free (scholarship + military money), that might be a better choice than picking a different school solely because it's ranked higher.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 am

kalvano wrote:
You're making a mistake in placing too much weight on the school's rank. SMU far outplaces its rank in the Dallas area. Higher rank doesn't always equal better choice.

So I repeat - if he wants to work in Dallas and can go to SMU for free (scholarship + military money), that might be a better choice than picking a different school solely because it's ranked higher.

He'll get into UT, and since Uncle Sam's picking up the bill, SMU seems like a moot discussion.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 am

Renzo wrote:
kalvano wrote:

He'll get into UT, and since Uncle Sam's picking up the bill, SMU seems like a moot discussion.

No, he won't. They don't seem to care if you are Jesus and cured cancer, if you don't have a 3.5 or so, you're not getting in. Check LSN.

And doesn't the military only pay for part? I thought it only covered about $20K or so?

wesmsmith

Postby wesmsmith » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 pm

I agree. UT does seem to be really into numbers. My list in order of preference would be
1.UVA
2.UT
3.NU
4.SMU
5.Georgetown
6.George Washington
7.North Carolina
8.Michigan
9.Boston
10.Boston College

This list is mosty based on places my wife and I would like to live since I have not visited all of these schools. How do you guys feel about my chances among this list.

Return to “What are my chances?”