Army Ranger applying to Law School

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Veyron

Re: Army Ranger applying to Law School

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Veyron wrote:
wesmsmith wrote:I can assure you that my expectation level is tempered. I would be grateful to attend a t14 school but understand my lack of motivation as a young college student may impead that. If there is one thing I have learned from my military service, it's to be accountable.

Dude, go back and read my post, I take extreme delight in shitting on people's future dreams. In your case, however, you are going to help the median for LSAT at both UVA and NU and hurt their GPA median. 172 is a very strong score, hopefully the Rangers taught you not just to be accountable but to adapt to local conditions. As difficult as it is to believe, your LSAT score negates your GPA. Northwestern highly values WE, yours is excellent. UVA is trying to move its LSAT medians up, yours will help.

Texas is a better choice for Texas than DCNG.

And yet they almost instantly rejected me with my 175... :| They must have something personal against me.

Or your softs aren't as cool. Its not as if the high LSAT is the end all to be all - it makes you a median candidate and lots of those are rejected. However, a median candidate with really good softs stands a very solid chance, see e.g., my cycle.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:19 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Veyron wrote:
wesmsmith wrote:I was hoping to get some ideas about Law schools that might accept me.

7 years as an Army Ranger/deployed 7 times
2.8 GPA (left my Junior year of school for the Army in 2002. Finished my senior year in 2010 with a senior year GPA of 3.9) Basically my GPA was really bad, went to the Army, matured and came back to school.
LSAT 172

Non URM

Undergrad at SMU in Dallas

I would like to get into the best law school possible but understand that my low GPA may limit me.
Thanks for the help

ENJOY Northwestern or UVA (your choice, although if you want UVA, you may need to ED).

Army Ranger is one of the few legit softs around.

I dont see how learning how to kill people and then, perhaps, killing people is a legit soft? but i imagine you will be unique. ED uva

haha I was gonna say you are probably headed to Berkeley....but with that heinous LSAT they probably wouldn't even allow you on the campus.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Army Ranger is one of the few legit softs around

I dont see how learning how to kill people and then, perhaps, killing people is a legit soft? but i imagine you will be unique. ED uva[/quote]

Don't be a pansy. This guy is a badass.[/quote]

Don't feed the troll.[/quote]

hey that is what it is.

sorry though.......Kickass five power stars in camo for your app... raaarwww teeeaaam AMERICA, yeah.
Last edited by sophia.olive on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
Veyron wrote:
wesmsmith wrote:I was hoping to get some ideas about Law schools that might accept me.

7 years as an Army Ranger/deployed 7 times
2.8 GPA (left my Junior year of school for the Army in 2002. Finished my senior year in 2010 with a senior year GPA of 3.9) Basically my GPA was really bad, went to the Army, matured and came back to school.
LSAT 172

Non URM

Undergrad at SMU in Dallas

I would like to get into the best law school possible but understand that my low GPA may limit me.
Thanks for the help

ENJOY Northwestern or UVA (your choice, although if you want UVA, you may need to ED).

Army Ranger is one of the few legit softs around.

I dont see how learning how to kill people and then, perhaps, killing people is a legit soft? but i imagine you will be unique. ED uva

haha I was gonna say you are probably headed to Berkeley....but with that heinous LSAT they probably wouldn't even allow you on the campus.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 pm

haha...157

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:haha...157

you are an idiot, that is for privacy. you can follow my posts to find my real lsat.

I bet you think i managed a 2.0/4.1 also.

I have some magic sticks to sell, $400 a twig.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 pm

No wait better yet, i'll give you some patriotism if you give me the lives of some people on the other side of the earth and, perhaps, your own.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

No wait better yet, i'll give you some patriotism if you give me the lives of some people on the other side of the earth and, perhaps, your own.

It's not about patriotism. it's about the fact that you couldn't see how military experience could be seen as a good soft.
And I guess I was wrong about your LSAT. my bad.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

sophia.olive wrote:

Yeah having people willing to kill and be killed for you sucks :roll: . I actually agree with you that military service isn't as good of a soft as like starting you own successful startup or even IB but compared to the general, run-of-the-mill WE it is really good. This guy (potentially) had everyone in his squad's life in his hands.

Edited to show sarcasm
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

It's not about patriotism. it's about the fact that you couldn't see how military experience could be seen as a good soft.

Seriously, she/he is known to just go around the boards and try to incite arguments. Just ignore.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:37 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

you made the narrow comment about berkeley, which was not about military experince and i responded in kind.
And please delinate how military experince would be one of the few "legit" softs, which was what i was responding to. Minus posttraumatic of course

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

Yeah having people willing to kill and be killed for you sucks :roll: . I actually agree with you that military service isn't as good of a soft as like starting you own successful startup or even IB but compared to the general, run-of-the-mill WE it is really good. This guy (potentially) had everyone in his squad's life in his hands.

Edited to show sarcasm

I think they are willing to kill and be killed for some abstract principles. And honestly if that "kill" is a child or even more than one person, is my life really worth more, no.
Also, I imagine the situation has made my life less safe in the long run.

I did not ask nor want anyone killing anyone for my sake. :roll:
Last edited by sophia.olive on Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:43 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
eaglemuncher wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

you made the narrow comment about berkeley, which was not about military experince and i responded in kind.
And please delinate how military experince would be one of the few "legit" softs, which was what i was responding to. Minus posttraumatic of course

I didn't say that..I responded to your comment that it was not a legit soft. I think it is legit because it is relatively speaking not a very common soft. The vast majority of law school applicants don't have military experience.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Just a quiet suggestion that we all keep this thread on topic, please. Thank you.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:45 pm

not common=unique, which is what i said.
juggling is also not common.
we are talking about "few legit"

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm

nygrrrl wrote:Just a quiet suggestion that we all keep this thread on topic, please. Thank you.
ok sorry, just got back from my hometown, which is a military base. And im tired of hearing about people that cant sit with their back to the door or are slapping their wives around.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Sophia, putting your personal feelings aside do you believe that his military experience will or will not help the OP get into law school?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:50 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:Just a quiet suggestion that we all keep this thread on topic, please. Thank you.
ok sorry, just got back from my hometown, which is a military base. And im tired of hearing about people that cant sit with their back to the door or are slapping their wives around.

lol, this was a bad attempt to troll.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

Indeed.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:

oh yeah, it is all just a dream troll.....

go america, lets go to law school.

And this [deleted image] has earned sophia a permanent time out, compliments of your friendly, neighborhood Mod Squad
Last edited by sophia.olive on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Hey, Wes. Thanks a lot for what you do/did for our country and our safety.

Honestly, I think that you stand a very good chance at getting into several T-14 schools (NU or UVA, especially). I say this because you can easily be "paired" with another student who also has outstanding softs, but who has a high GPA and a low LSAT. This might affect a school's 25th percentile statistics, but I think the effect on the medians will be negligible. There are a hell of a lot more lawyers than there are Army Rangers, so many schools will be interested in your application (just make sure you communicate your maturity and personal initiative in your PS).

Hope this helps, good luck!

wesmsmith

Postby wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Wow... Honestly I just wanted some input on law school options. I can assure you that I do not have American Flag tattoos, I don't like Toby Kieth, and I hate NASCAR. I am proud of who I am and where I come from but I also respect all walks of life. It's a misnomer that all military are flag waving bigots. I did what I did because it was exciting and important. Thanks for everyones input.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:26 pm

wesmsmith wrote:Wow... Honestly I just wanted some input on law school options. I can assure you that I do not have American Flag tattoos, I don't like Toby Kieth, and I hate NASCAR. I am proud of who I am and where I come from but I also respect all walks of life. It's a misnomer that all military are flag waving bigots. I did what I did because it was exciting and important. Thanks for everyones input.

Best of luck to you, wesmsmith. You've actually received some terrific advice in this thread (see the NU/UVA suggestions) from some very knowledgeable, terrific posters. Sounds like you'll do great.
:)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:41 pm

wesmsmith wrote:Wow... Honestly I just wanted some input on law school options. I can assure you that I do not have American Flag tattoos, I don't like Toby Kieth, and I hate NASCAR. I am proud of who I am and where I come from but I also respect all walks of life. It's a misnomer that all military are flag waving bigots. I did what I did because it was exciting and important. Thanks for everyones input.

Yah man, sorry you had to put up with this shit. People who have lived TTT lives don't understand that far from the stereotype of the dumb bloodthirsty solder, some of the most able youth in our country choose to serve. I'm so sorry if you previous posters bagging on solders went to some shitty school where you sat around and bitched about the army all day. I went to an elite undergraduate institution and some of the brightest kids in our class decided to enter the military. These included kids in quant fields who could have gone to work for an investment bank instead. My brother pre-med and is thinking about going the medic route for a few years before he starts med-school even though that probably means a huge loss in earnings.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Banned troll is banned, thanks to nygrrls trusty trigger finger.

Also, as someone who went to berkeley, let me assure you that we wouldn't tolerate trolls like that there.

Return to “What are my chances?”