Army Ranger applying to Law School Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
wesmsmith

New

Army Ranger applying to Law School

Post by wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:14 pm

I was hoping to get some ideas about Law schools that might accept me.

7 years as an Army Ranger/deployed 7 times
2.8 GPA (left my Junior year of school for the Army in 2002. Finished my senior year in 2010 with a senior year GPA of 3.9) Basically my GPA was really bad, went to the Army, matured and came back to school.
LSAT 172

Non URM

Undergrad at SMU in Dallas

I would like to get into the best law school possible but understand that my low GPA may limit me.
Thanks for the help

Diamond

Re: Army Ranger applying to Law School

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:19 pm

I'd apply to Northwestern, UVa, Michigan, and Georgetown for sure.

SMU will probably give you some good scholarship money if you want to work in Texas.

Other schools will probably depend on where you want to work post graduation. Where do you want to work?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:22 pm

wesmsmith wrote:I was hoping to get some ideas about Law schools that might accept me.

2.8 GPA (left my Junior year of school for the Army in 2002. Finished my senior year in 2010 with a senior year GPA of 3.9) Basically my GPA was really bad, went to the Army, matured and came back to school.
LSAT 172

Non URM

I would like to get into the best law school possible but understand that my low GPA may limit me.
Thanks for the help
1) Thank you for your service.

2) I think you'll get into a good school, but it's going to be hard to predict. I was a nontraditional undergrad with a high LSAT, a bad GPA (much better than yours, however), and an interesting public service career (nowhere near as badass as yours, however), and I got into a lot of really great schools. You've got one of the best stories I can imagine for proving that your aggregate GPA is not reflective of your ability, and a high LSAT to back it up.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:25 pm

Northwestern and UVA are your two best schools with the best possibility.

wesmsmith

New

Post by wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 pm

I appreciate the info. I thought I might have a shot at NU, but never considered my chances at those other schools.
As for my preferred work location, I am open to anything but would prefer Texas. Optimally I would like to get my education from a school that would open doors for me everywhere. Scholarship money is not a huge issue because of my GI BIll.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:32 pm

wesmsmith wrote:I was hoping to get some ideas about Law schools that might accept me.

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help
RLTW, brother. Which batt? I'll echo what DF said about which schools to apply to. I would encourage you to come to NU. It would be nice to have another batt boy.

wesmsmith

New

Post by wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Wish I could tell you that my GPA the first few years was the result of a catastrophic disaster but honestly I was lazy, immature, and did not understand the true value of an education. Wish I had a Delorean with a flux capacitor....

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 pm

wesmsmith wrote:Wish I could tell you that my GPA the first few years was the result of a catastrophic disaster but honestly I was lazy, immature, and did not understand the true value of an education. Wish I had a Delorean with a flux capacitor....
I had a 2.8 and I go to Northwestern, and I didn't even have any good softs.

If you want to seal the deal, ED to Northwestern. I'd bet you'd get in.

wesmsmith

New

Post by wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:37 pm

2nd Batt. Charlie 3-1 Squad Leader for 2 1/2 years

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 pm

hero. digg-it.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:45 pm

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help
ENJOY Northwestern or UVA (your choice, although if you want UVA, you may need to ED).

Army Ranger is one of the few legit softs around.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:09 pm

wesmsmith wrote:2nd Batt. Charlie 3-1 Squad Leader for 2 1/2 years
FO, C 3/75. Get your ass to NU.

Veyron wrote:ENJOY Northwestern or UVA (your choice, although if you want UVA, you may need to ED).

If only it impacted acceptances that way.

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

I speak from personal experience when I say do not have unrealistic expectations about how much your military experience will help you. I am sure it does help but not as much as I has hoped when I applied to a few reaches and was quickly slapped back down to reality. Of course best of luck to you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:31 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:I speak from personal experience when I say do not have unrealistic expectations about how much your military experience will help you. I am sure it does help but not as much as I has hoped when I applied to a few reaches and was quickly slapped back down to reality. Of course best of luck to you.
This is correct. Still, given his numbers I think UVA and NU are both realistic considerations.

wesmsmith

New

Post by wesmsmith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:43 pm

I can assure you that my expectation level is tempered. I would be grateful to attend a t14 school but understand my lack of motivation as a young college student may impead that. If there is one thing I have learned from my military service, it's to be accountable.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I don't have much to add but I wanted to wish you the best of luck.

With your story, your experience, and an excellent LSAT score in hand, I'm sure that a T14 school or two will be inspired to give you a chance.

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Im sorry if I sounded like a downer...However I was waitlisted at illinois, a school I was an LSP "strong consider" and ED rejected from UVA (huge reach for me). I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years. I think you should def apply to a number of schools in T14 and see who bites, IMO you seem like you would be a great asset to any school. Good Luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 pm

wesmsmith wrote:I can assure you that my expectation level is tempered. I would be grateful to attend a t14 school but understand my lack of motivation as a young college student may impead that. If there is one thing I have learned from my military service, it's to be accountable.
My advice: Visit UVA and NW, decide which one you like better, and ED. You will, almost undoubtedly, get into either school ED. Also, if you would like to go back to Texas, UVA will do you better than NW.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:01 pm

wesmsmith wrote:I can assure you that my expectation level is tempered. I would be grateful to attend a t14 school but understand my lack of motivation as a young college student may impead that. If there is one thing I have learned from my military service, it's to be accountable.
Dude, go back and read my post, I take extreme delight in shitting on people's future dreams. In your case, however, you are going to help the median for LSAT at both UVA and NU and hurt their GPA median. 172 is a very strong score, hopefully the Rangers taught you not just to be accountable but to adapt to local conditions. As difficult as it is to believe, your LSAT score negates your GPA. Northwestern highly values WE, yours is excellent. UVA is trying to move its LSAT medians up, yours will help.

Texas is a better choice for Texas than DCNG.

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Veyron wrote:

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help
ENJOY Northwestern or UVA (your choice, although if you want UVA, you may need to ED).

I dont see how learning how to kill people and then, perhaps, killing people is a legit soft? but i imagine you will be unique. ED uva

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
Dude, go back and read my post, I take extreme delight in shitting on people's future dreams. In your case, however, you are going to help the median for LSAT at both UVA and NU and hurt their GPA median. 172 is a very strong score, hopefully the Rangers taught you not just to be accountable but to adapt to local conditions. As difficult as it is to believe, your LSAT score negates your GPA. Northwestern highly values WE, yours is excellent. UVA is trying to move its LSAT medians up, yours will help.

Texas is, also, less friendly to splitters.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Veyron wrote:

And yet they almost instantly rejected me with my 175... :| They must have something personal against me.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Veyron wrote:

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help

I dont see how learning how to kill people and then, perhaps, killing people is a legit soft? but i imagine you will be unique. ED uva
Don't be a pansy. This guy is a badass.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:
Veyron wrote:

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help

Don't be a pansy. This guy is a badass.
Don't feed the troll.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:15 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Veyron wrote:

LSAT 172

Non URM

Thanks for the help

You seriously don't see how being in the special forces for 7 years might be a better soft than the guy just out of UG or who worked for some random PI organization? The nice thing about admissions committees is that they don't share your political bias (otherwise I would have been rejected everywhere).

In addition, how fucking Alpha is it to go into a job interview and discuss your years as a ranger with the interviewers? They will fucking eat that shit up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”