Chances x 2 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gbr12

New

Chances x 2

Post by gbr12 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for chances for both me and my fiancee. We're both hoping to go to the same school and hopefully come out with not too much debt (maybe get two law degrees for the price of one, or better). Exceptions would be YHS, obviously, due to no merit aid.

Numbers:

Mine: 177, 3.93. Weak to average softs.
Hers: 167, 4.13. Average to above-average softs.

Applied (sent 12/20):

Yale
Harvard
Chicago
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Our state school

Should we apply elsewhere? We're thinking Penn and Stanford at the moment. Anywhere else? Where will we both get in? Where will we get $$$? Did we hurt ourselves by applying this late?

Thanks in advance!

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Re: Chances x 2

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:39 pm

gbr12 wrote:Hi all, I'm looking for chances for both me and my fiancee. We're both hoping to go to the same school and hopefully come out with not too much debt (maybe get two law degrees for the price of one, or better). Exceptions would be YHS, obviously, due to no merit aid.

Numbers:

Applied (sent 12/20):

Yale
Harvard
Chicago
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Our state school

Should we apply elsewhere? We're thinking Penn and Stanford at the moment. Anywhere else? Where will we both get in? Where will we get $$$? Did we hurt ourselves by applying this late?

Thanks in advance!
Stanford + Berkeley. I'd seriously consider doing the degrees in the same city but at different schools. E.g. Harvard/BU or BC; Stanford/Berkeley etc., especially if you will qualify for need-based aid. But if you are looking for money, yes, you did hurt yourself applying this late; I'd seriously consider waiting out the year if you don't like your offers. Berkeley might be your best chance for both of you to land at a top school for the price of one tuition (due to their relative emphasis on GPA), but they are pretty big on early applications. Good luck.

EDIT: Just noticed the application date was 12/20. Not terrible for the schools you applied to, but the schools you are adding to the list probably won't have any money left to give (except Stanford which gives out money by need).
Last edited by The Real Jack McCoy on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

gbr12 wrote:Hi all, I'm looking for chances for both me and my fiancee. We're both hoping to go to the same school and hopefully come out with not too much debt (maybe get two law degrees for the price of one, or better). Exceptions would be YHS, obviously, due to no merit aid.

Numbers:

Applied (sent 12/20):

Yale
Harvard
Chicago
Virginia
Michigan
Duke
Our state school

Thanks in advance!
If you really want to go to the same school, I would look a little lower down the T14. Her 167 is likely going to eliminate her from several schools on that list, with a fighting chance at Duke, UM, and UVA. What about Cornell, Georgetown, Northwestern?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Michigan, Virginia and Duke are more likely this late in the cycle but your fiancée could be denied to any one of them while you may get YP'ed.

Try for Yale since it doesn't matter when you apply. If you get in and she does not, she could always retake and apply next year. Waiting a year might be your best option if you don't get in to your top choices now.

The Real Jack McCoy

Bronze

Post by The Real Jack McCoy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Also, a good way to avoid YP in this case would be to signal that you and your fiance want to attend school together. A joint campus visit would be ideal (subtle and gets the point across).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”