165/3.35 Chances at Tier 1?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hokie

Bronze

165/3.35 Chances at Tier 1??

Post by hokie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:10 am

Hi, so I completely bombed my Dec LSAT and will not be taking the LSAT again. Although it is late in the cycle, I will be completely my apps within the next week and was wondering what everything thinks my chances are. 165 (163 on Dec), 3.35 GPA, 1+ years WE, decent softs. Chances at:

William and Mary
Washington and Lee
Emory
Iowa
IU-Bloomington
Wisconsin
UNC
George Mason

I figure all of these schools are my reaches and I will just hope and pray that I get into 1+ of them. Thanks!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: 165/3.35 Chances at Tier 1??

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:11 am

Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:11 am

hokie wrote:Hi, so I completely bombed my Dec LSAT and will not be taking the LSAT again. Although it is late in the cycle, I will be completely my apps within the next week and was wondering what everything thinks my chances are. 165 (163 on Dec), 3.35 GPA, 1+ years WE, decent softs. Chances at:

William and Mary
Washington and Lee
Emory
Iowa
IU-Bloomington
Wisconsin
UNC
George Mason

I figure all of these schools are my reaches and I will just hope and pray that I get into 1+ of them. Thanks!
You have a good shot at every school you mentioned. You will most DEFINITELY get into one of them.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:15 am

Last edited by 3ThrowAway99 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:21 am

thanks for all the responses. Yea, I figured that all of these schools were my reaches where I had around 50% chance or less of getting in. However, I am hoping that some of my softs, WE, and PS can vault me (albeit very, very slightly) into admissions. Thanks for all the input and keep 'em coming!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:37 am

hokie wrote:thanks for all the responses. Yea, I figured that all of these schools were my reaches where I had around 50% chance or less of getting in. However, I am hoping that some of my softs, WE, and PS can vault me (albeit very, very slightly) into admissions. Thanks for all the input and keep 'em coming!
I'm going to disagree with Law. I do agree that getting into several will be a long shot, but I stand by my belief that at least one of those will admit you.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 am

hokie wrote:thanks for all the responses. Yea, I figured that all of these schools were my reaches where I had around 50% chance or less of getting in. However, I am hoping that some of my softs, WE, and PS can vault me (albeit very, very slightly) into admissions. Thanks for all the input and keep 'em coming!
Yeah if you apply to all those schools I bet you will get some breaks, but I wouldn't count on anything for sure. I have slightly better numbers (particularly re: GPA, but even there my GPA was by no means stellar): I got waitlisted at a school ranked around 20 in the state I was living in; got a reject from a school slightly over 30; all rejects from T20/T14 (I applied to some rediculous reaches, in part hoping my work experience would make a difference); accepted to lower T1 with more than half-scholly (similiar to George Mason) in a state I had lived and worked; and then got some higher T2 half-schollys.

My assessment above may be too harsh, but with your GPA IDK; thats kind of rough territory. I think your picking some of the best schools to have a shot at a T30/T25 acceptance though.

Cpwilson

Bronze

Post by Cpwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Yeah if you apply to all those schools I bet you will get some breaks, but I wouldn't count on anything for sure. I have slightly better numbers (particularly re: GPA, but even there my GPA was by no means stellar): I got waitlisted at a school ranked around 20 in the state I was living in; got a reject from a school slightly over 30; all rejects from T20/T14 (I applied to some rediculous reaches, in part hoping my work experience would make a difference); accepted to lower T1 with more than half-scholly (similiar to George Mason) in a state I had lived and worked; and then got some higher T2 half-schollys.

My assessment above may be too harsh, but with your GPA IDK; thats kind of rough territory. I think your picking some of the best schools to have a shot at a T30/T25 acceptance though.
Agree here. Most are going to reject you, but you'll prob sneak into one.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:47 am

based on your username, if you are a Virginia resident then I think you can nab George Mason, maybe W&M. You are below the median GPA at both but you are at W&M's median LSAT and above GM's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:03 pm

You might be able to get some money at Wake if you apply there, though this late, I don't know.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:based on your username, if you are a Virginia resident then I think you can nab George Mason, maybe W&M. You are below the median GPA at both but you are at W&M's median LSAT and above GM's.
I am was originally a VA resident, but I am now OOS due to my current location for work :cry: . I really want to end up back in the DC/Northern VA area so going to George Mason, W&M, or Washington and Lee would be completely awesome. Somehow, I was able to nab fee waivers from all three (I think W&L is free) so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed! As for Wake, I have it on my radar but for some reason not too keen on the school (checked it out before and wasn't really "feeling" it but that is undergrad).Thanks for all the advice guys; it's always fun to gain input on what others think (and sometimes make me feel better)!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm

You will pay sticker at W&L, W&M, and George Mason. Therefore, you would be absolutely insane to attend W&L for sticker price. I would cross that off your list real quick. W&M you have maybe a 15-20% chance. You are in at GMU.

Apply to other schools in the Tier 2. Paying sticker for the schools you listed = huge mistake.

hokie wrote:
quetzal_bird wrote:based on your username, if you are a Virginia resident then I think you can nab George Mason, maybe W&M. You are below the median GPA at both but you are at W&M's median LSAT and above GM's.
I am was originally a VA resident, but I am now OOS due to my current location for work :cry: . I really want to end up back in the DC/Northern VA area so going to George Mason, W&M, or Washington and Lee would be completely awesome. Somehow, I was able to nab fee waivers from all three (I think W&L is free) so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed! As for Wake, I have it on my radar but for some reason not too keen on the school (checked it out before and wasn't really "feeling" it but that is undergrad).Thanks for all the advice guys; it's always fun to gain input on what others think (and sometimes make me feel better)!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:49 pm

hokie wrote:Hi, so I completely bombed my Dec LSAT and will not be taking the LSAT again. Although it is late in the cycle, I will be completely my apps within the next week and was wondering what everything thinks my chances are. 165 (163 on Dec), 3.35 GPA, 1+ years WE, decent softs. Chances at:

William and Mary -Out
Washington and Lee - Out
Emory - Out
Iowa - In
IU-Bloomington - In
Wisconsin - In
UNC - Out
George Mason- In

Where the hell is Richmond? You are in with $$$ there. You are looking at NO $$$$ at your current list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:56 pm

fair assesment and generally TCR. Although I do agree that paying sticker for >T30 is never a good thing, I feel that depending on what other offers come in, it would be my best option (as I want to end up in DC/Northern Virginia). In my mind, George Mason, W&M, and W&L are all the only decent regional schools for VA that I could potentially get into. Although I would take any other comparably ranked school with $$$ over them in a heartbeat, when it comes down to it, I don' think paying sticker is neccessarily a HUGE mistake (albeit it is nothing to rave about). What T2 schools would have any kind of chance breaking into the Northern VA market? The only schools I can really think of is George Mason and American (which I'm also not a big fan of :lol: ). I'm guessing that Richmond really only does well for Richmond (again not a big fan). Thanks!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Ahhhh, if I were you, this would be my list. Also, before I start I am going to go out on a limb and say George Mason should be your #1. I have spent a lot of time in DC and it seems to have a great reputation there. You are also making a mistake (not trying to be a dick) to think that being $180K in debt is worth a degree from W&L. I love W&L but there is not one person I know who could rationally come up with a reason to go there over GMU with in-state or Richmond with huge $$$. Quick side fact - my gf interned at the WH this past summer and her boss was a Richmond law grad and only 29 years old.

Your list:

Wake Forest - In with some $
George Mason - should be your #1
W&M - reach
W&L - because it is free to apply
Indiana B - In with $
Richmond - In with $$$
Maryland - In with $$
Catholic - you want DC, In with $$$$$$, safety maybe?
Case Western Reserve- has some reach in DC market and in with $$$

The ones listed should all have an application with your name on it.

hokie wrote:fair assesment and generally TCR. Although I do agree that paying sticker for >T30 is never a good thing, I feel that depending on what other offers come in, it would be my best option (as I want to end up in DC/Northern Virginia). In my mind, George Mason, W&M, and W&L are all the only decent regional schools for VA that I could potentially get into. Although I would take any other comparably ranked school with $$$ over them in a heartbeat, when it comes down to it, I don' think paying sticker is neccessarily a HUGE mistake (albeit it is nothing to rave about). What T2 schools would have any kind of chance breaking into the Northern VA market? The only schools I can really think of is George Mason and American (which I'm also not a big fan of :lol: ). I'm guessing that Richmond really only does well for Richmond (again not a big fan). Thanks!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:09 pm

On my iphone so I cannot edit but I think Wisconsin merits an app as well. For some reason it gets a lot of respect in DC and when I worked on Capitol Hill I seemed to run into more Wisc. Law grads than I should have.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:32 pm

very sound advice indeed; I never really considered Catholic but b/c of it's location, I may put it on my list as a safety (same with Maryland). It's also great to hear that Wisconsin has a decent rep in the DC area; I really do love the school but wasn't entirely sure about it's job prospects outside of the midwest. I definitely hear you about W&L but I actually would love to live in a small town like Lexington for law school; however, I will have to carefully way my options. Thanks again for all of the advice and any additional input is greatly appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I would bet the bank you get into both George Mason and Wash & Lee. You should nab a few more as well. Good luck.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:31 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I would bet the bank you get into both George Mason and Wash & Lee. You should nab a few more as well. Good luck.

Interesting comment considering Wash Lee auto-waitlisted all applicants with 165/3.5 and lower last year. You might want to take a look at LSN, Supra.

ksimon2007

Silver

Post by ksimon2007 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:37 pm

A white male friend of mine was admitted to washington and lee the other day with a 163/3.8 (no WE)...your gpa is a little low, but I would say writing good why statements will do you some good especially for a small and intimate school like W&L...good luck with your applications

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:41 pm

SrLaw wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I would bet the bank you get into both George Mason and Wash & Lee. You should nab a few more as well. Good luck.

Interesting comment considering Wash Lee auto-waitlisted all applicants with 165/3.5 and lower last year. You might want to take a look at LSN, Supra.

Wow, you're right. I coulda sworn they had an admit wall at 165 like GMU. Still OP, should get George Mason at the very least.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bball25

New

Post by bball25 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:17 pm

How big of a difference does the couple points between a 168 and 165 make? I have a similar gpa, good softs, and am looking at a couple similar schools.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Not retaking is a completely bullheaded and irresponsible move.

You bombed and got a 165, you can easily do better. Retake/apply next cycle. Stop letting your stubbornness increase your future debt and damage your future career prospects.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:49 pm

bball25 wrote:How big of a difference does the couple points between a 168 and 165 make?
Potentially thousands of dollars, and entry into the T14 schools.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm

bk187 wrote:Not retaking is a completely bullheaded and irresponsible move.

You bombed and got a 165, you can easily do better. Retake/apply next cycle. Stop letting your stubbornness increase your future debt and damage your future career prospects.
Believe me, I completely see where you're coming from as I have been exposed to the TLS community long enough. I have given it heavy consideration and have spoken about it to almost everyone I know (who are in law or at least familiar with the process). Ultimately, to think I would have to work at my place I'm working at now is just too much of a daunting thought. I could definitely retake and [most likely] score higher, but there is no guarantee and then I would have just wasted another year. For my December exam, I took two days prior off work but ended up getting called into a meeting on Friday which had me working until 2 am on Saturday (3 am by the time I got home). There are just too many variables for me that I would just rather start school now. By the way, do you think I should write a LSAT addendum on that? I really didn't want to because I got a 163 (just two below my highest) which makes me look like I am making an excuse for a score that was "my potential" (again, even though I bombed the Oct as well but due to nerves/2 5-hour energies/whatever).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”