Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gymrat780

New

Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Post by gymrat780 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:

American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut
George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)

Also, any others you'd recommend me looking into? I'm primarily interested in east coast/midwest law schools.

ATR

Silver

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Post by ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:07 am

As a URM, you can do better than those schools in all likelihood. I don't know much about URM admissions - not one myself - but the posters in this sub-forum will be able to help you out: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=14

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 am

GW and Illinois would probably be the most difficult.

You'd probably be WL/Rejected at GW and possibly get into Illinois... and pay nearly full price.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 pm

gymrat780 wrote:Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:

American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

Also, any others you'd recommend me looking into? I'm primarily interested in east coast/midwest law schools.
American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

Add Washington University of St. Louis, Fordham, and Cardozo.

gymrat780

New

Post by gymrat780 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
gymrat780 wrote:Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:

American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

Add Washington University of St. Louis, Fordham, and Cardozo.
Sorry I didn't really understand your post.

By striking out the ones you did are you saying that I cannot get into those? I'm not even in Fordham, Cardozo or Washington University's medians?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Poster means you should get rid of them because you can get into better schools. Even though you're below medians, being a URM gives you a significant admissions boost. Follow the link I posted earlier and read about it in that sub-forum.

framboozer

Bronze

Post by framboozer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 pm

You will get a significant admissions boost for being a URM, but that's usually for your LSAT, rather than your GPA. They won't be as forgiving of your GPA without a higher LSAT, which means . . . you know what to do.

gymrat780

New

Post by gymrat780 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:08 pm

framboozer wrote:You will get a significant admissions boost for being a URM, but that's usually for your LSAT, rather than your GPA. They won't be as forgiving of your GPA without a higher LSAT, which means . . . you know what to do.
Yeah, I'm done with this exam lol. This was my one and only retake.

I wrote an addendum for my GPA. Not sure if it will make a difference, but my GPA was low because of my first semester of part time schooling where I got an "F" and a "D". Anyways, I made sure to note in my addendum that I've had an upward gpa trend ever since that semester, and that I made dean's list my last 6 semesters, and also that I never got below a 3.4 since that semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”