Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gymrat780
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby gymrat780 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:


American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut
George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)



Also, any others you'd recommend me looking into? I'm primarily interested in east coast/midwest law schools.

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:07 am

As a URM, you can do better than those schools in all likelihood. I don't know much about URM admissions - not one myself - but the posters in this sub-forum will be able to help you out: viewforum.php?f=14

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby kk19131 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 am

GW and Illinois would probably be the most difficult.

You'd probably be WL/Rejected at GW and possibly get into Illinois... and pay nearly full price.

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby EbonyEsq » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 pm

gymrat780 wrote:Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:


American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut
George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)



Also, any others you'd recommend me looking into? I'm primarily interested in east coast/midwest law schools.


American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)


Add Washington University of St. Louis, Fordham, and Cardozo.

gymrat780
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby gymrat780 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
gymrat780 wrote:Just wondering what my chances are at the following schools if any? I'm African Canadian, attended a state university in California majoring in Sociology/Criminology, 3.24 gpa (gpa is messed up from a my first semester when I attended college in Canada) and a 158 LSAT, my mother is a US citizen and I am on the last stage towards getting my permanent residency:


American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut
George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)



Also, any others you'd recommend me looking into? I'm primarily interested in east coast/midwest law schools.


American U
U Miami
Brooklyn
Penn State
Georgia State U
U Connecticut

George Washington (part time)
University of Illinois (fee waiver)


Add Washington University of St. Louis, Fordham, and Cardozo.


Sorry I didn't really understand your post.

By striking out the ones you did are you saying that I cannot get into those? I'm not even in Fordham, Cardozo or Washington University's medians?

ATR
Posts: 1119
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Poster means you should get rid of them because you can get into better schools. Even though you're below medians, being a URM gives you a significant admissions boost. Follow the link I posted earlier and read about it in that sub-forum.

framboozer
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby framboozer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 pm

You will get a significant admissions boost for being a URM, but that's usually for your LSAT, rather than your GPA. They won't be as forgiving of your GPA without a higher LSAT, which means . . . you know what to do.

gymrat780
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Black, international applicant, 3.24/158 chances

Postby gymrat780 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:08 pm

framboozer wrote:You will get a significant admissions boost for being a URM, but that's usually for your LSAT, rather than your GPA. They won't be as forgiving of your GPA without a higher LSAT, which means . . . you know what to do.


Yeah, I'm done with this exam lol. This was my one and only retake.


I wrote an addendum for my GPA. Not sure if it will make a difference, but my GPA was low because of my first semester of part time schooling where I got an "F" and a "D". Anyways, I made sure to note in my addendum that I've had an upward gpa trend ever since that semester, and that I made dean's list my last 6 semesters, and also that I never got below a 3.4 since that semester.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jnarlaw and 5 guests