3.27, 167 - Am I kidding myself here? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
law4vus

Silver

3.27, 167 - Am I kidding myself here?

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:16 pm

So my stats are 3.27, 162 (had a sickness in the family a few weeks before I took the test so I had a lot of trouble focusing), retook and got a 167. Non-URM.

I have a consistent upward GPA trend and the 3.27 also includes courses I took at a prestigious university when I was in high school through a summer program, which brought down my GPA slightly. I also have pretty good softs, with a couple internships focused on my area of interest (sports law) and a Congressional Internship. I was also a teaching assistant for a few semesters for a course within my major, along with being an active member of a couple student organizations.

My letters came from:

- the person I TAed for (excellent letter)
- a teacher who took the time to ask me questions for an hour before writing the letter
- a staffer from the Congressman's office

The best school I got into so far was Washington and Lee. I also had a group interview at Georgetown last night but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be waitlisted at best. I also applied to WUSTL, Illinois, Emory, BU, BC, GW, William and Mary, Fordham, along with some other safeties. Got WLed at Illinois this morning.

My question is, am I shooting too high hoping to get into at least a couple of those schools I listed?

Thanks, guys!

law4vus

Silver

Re: 3.27, 167 - Am I kidding myself here?

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Can anyone help me out here? Also have a quick question on Emory - LSP gives me a weak consider but that goes contrary to what LSN has for last year's data. Am I a pretty good shot for Emory or is it weak?

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Dude, Emory will do almost anything (probably not sexual, but maybe) to get your LSAT score. I'd say your chances are quite good (although not auto-admit).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:50 pm

law4vus wrote:Can anyone help me out here? Also have a quick question on Emory - LSP gives me a weak consider but that goes contrary to what LSN has for last year's data. Am I a pretty good shot for Emory or is it weak?
Good for Emory, WUSTL, UIUC

No go on BC, BU, W&M, GW. GPA too low.

Fordham is a smaaaaaaaaallll shot.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Shooter wrote:Dude, Emory will do almost anything (probably not sexual, but maybe) to get your LSAT score. I'd say your chances are quite good (although not auto-admit).
Haha, thanks for making me laugh. Really, though? It's at their 75th percentile, so I wouldn't think they'd be THAT crazy about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

BC and W&M you're in. Illinois I think you're in, and the rest are kinda a coin toss I think. Only have slightly higher stats (3.37/168) and I'm applying to the same schools as targets.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

rad law wrote:
law4vus wrote:Can anyone help me out here? Also have a quick question on Emory - LSP gives me a weak consider but that goes contrary to what LSN has for last year's data. Am I a pretty good shot for Emory or is it weak?

Already got WL at UIUC. Not looking good. :(

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 pm

rad law wrote:

You really don't think he'd get into BC?

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:58 pm

2011Law wrote:
rad law wrote:

Yeah, it's really unclear to me right now. Someone got in with a 3.31 167 on LSN (which is my GPA if you don't include my high school summer program) but they also went to a top 10 private school. Mine isn't so good. Not bad, but not so good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:00 am

law4vus wrote:
Shooter wrote:Dude, Emory will do almost anything (probably not sexual, but maybe) to get your LSAT score. I'd say your chances are quite good (although not auto-admit).
Haha, thanks for making me laugh. Really, though? It's at their 75th percentile, so I wouldn't think they'd be THAT crazy about it.
All I know is that LSN shows them going NUTS for people with 166+. I mean your GPA is low, but these schools usually have no problem finding high GPAs. I think if you are willing to ride the WL, all of the schools you listed are possible.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:05 am

Shooter wrote:
law4vus wrote:
All I know is that LSN shows them going NUTS for people with 166+. I mean your GPA is low, but these schools usually have no problem finding high GPAs. I think if you are willing to ride the WL, all of the schools you listed are possible.
Yeah, obviously WL isn't what I'd like but with the grades, I figured that's what would happen. Thanks for the help!

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:00 am

anyone with a 166+ who can breathe is in at Emory

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:53 pm

jwrash wrote:anyone with a 166+ who can breathe is in at Emory
Good to know, lol. I guess I'll be on the lookout for WUSTL and Emory. The others I'll prob be dinged/WL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

2011Law wrote:
rad law wrote:

Eh maybe. GPA is low.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Does OP have a 167 (title) or 162 (OP)?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Does OP have a 167 (title) or 162 (OP)?
It's misleading, but read the first sentence, the 167 is a retake of the 162.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Yes, the 167 is a retake of 162. Got the old score a couple weeks after my sister was diagnosed with leukemia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:45 pm

Also, does anyone think I should apply anywhere else in the 20-40 range or have I covered it well enough? Already in at W and L and Maryland.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 am

You are in at W&M with money. My LSAT is the same as yours and my GPA is a little lower and I ahve gotten some pretty strong advice from Current WM law students that I should expect money from them. I talked to a guy at admissions the other day and I first mentioned my GPA, and then I mentioned my LSAT and his tone changed very quickly, he was interested.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 am

law4vus wrote:
The best school I got into so far was Washington and Lee. I also had a group interview at Georgetown last night but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be waitlisted at best. I also applied to WUSTL, Illinois, Emory, BU, BC, GW, William and Mary, Fordham, along with some other safeties. Got WLed at Illinois this morning.

My question is, am I shooting too high hoping to get into at least a couple of those schools I listed?

Thanks, guys!
I have pretty close numbers to you so I figured I'd give you my results thus far - I think you may get into 1 or 2 of those schools but certainly not all. I was WLed at UIUC and Fordham (PT), rejected from BC, didn't even bother with BU. I'm pending at W&M but since I submitted ages ago, I'm thinking that's a WL/denial (someone with my exact numbers did get in + $, but they were in-state which may make a difference. Or I just may come off as dreadful and smelly in my app). W&M does NOT seem to be a lock for these numbers, not by a long shot. I'm pending PT at GULC and GW, expecting a denial from GULC and WL from GW. I'm also pending at WUSTL. No clue what to expect there.

I don't mean to sound grim, these are just my experiences. I'm also in at W&L and a handful of other schools at this point. I think you will get into 1-2 of those schools but I really wouldn't anticipate getting into a lot of them. I hope for your sake that I'm wrong, but this what the trend seems to be for me and others in the lower GPA / 167 range. Best of luck to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”