Canadian School Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shark23

Canadian School Chances

Postby shark23 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to see if anyone had solid info on what my chances will be at the following Canadian schools. My OLSAS GPA is a 3.5, but my top 2 year GPA is a 3.6. I was disappointed by this because I went to UBC and my cumulative average was 81%, which should translate to a 3.7. Anyway, so those are my GPA's (according to different GPA calculation methods) and my lsat score is 161. Wondering my chances at:

Osgoode
Western
Queens
UBC
UVic
Dalhousie

For the Ontario schools, I know they take more of a holistic approach whereas UBC and UVic are strict numbers-based schools. In my PS to the Ontario schools I included an addendum to a couple of outlier marks (one was a 50 because the beauracracy of the UBC Commerce department did not see it fit to give me the correcy mark on my official transcript), as well as adding that being a full-time varsity athlete for my 4 years probably decreased what my GPA could have been. Not sure how much the schools will consider these facts...but if anyone with previous experience or any knowledge can give me an idea...

What are my chances?

niederbomb

Re: Canadian School Chances

Postby niederbomb » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

UBC...no way. I was 86/162 before my December rewrite and told I was borderline. You're below 91 on the index, for sure. But they drop your worst 12 credits, so maybe that would change things?

Osgoode--out

I think you're above LSAT median, below GPA median at both Queens and Western. Chances? I cannot say.

I'm not familiar with the rest, but your GPA seems pretty low for your LSAT for most Canadian law schools. Keep in mind, this is an American law school forum. If you want info on Canadian law schools, go to http://www.lawstudents.ca.

Canadiana

Postby Canadiana » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:00 pm

Osgoode, Western, Queens are holistic, could go either way depending on your LORs, PS, etc.

UBC, out probably, but it depends on drops.

Vic, probably in, your GPA will get inflated by their conversion table.

Dal, dunno

LauraAnna

Postby LauraAnna » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Dal is tough because they only hold so many spots for out of province students.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:57 pm

OP I have similar stats, and from hours of research I gather that you'll get into Windsor and possibly Western, a chance at Queens, and likely out everywhere else.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Canadiana wrote:Osgoode, Western, Queens are holistic, could go either way depending on your LORs, PS, etc.

Actually Western is thought to be quite numbers based.

serdog

Postby serdog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Uvic is going to depend on how they score your softs, (they don't count for much possible 40 out of 1040 but you are a a place where that boast is could to change everything) but ok shot(you have an index of 899 w/o soft and your looking at ~920 to get in)

Return to “What are my chances?”