3.69 // 151 - Florida Law Schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
deputamadre

New

3.69 // 151 - Florida Law Schools

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

I would like to end up in South Florida, or at least practicing in Florida, so I'll be applying to most Fl law schools.

What are my chances at the following:

Miami
Steston
Florida International
Florida (Reach, for obvious reasons)
Ave Maria

I'm white and bilingual with decent softs. Would like to practice in the Miami area.

deputamadre

New

Re: 3.69 // 151 - Florida Law Schools

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:49 am

...and is it even worth it applying to St. Thomas and Barry? I know most the schools I'm applying to already are bad enough, ha.

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am

Anybody?

StillHerexxx

Bronze

Post by StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:46 am

Based on pure numbers, I would say no chance at Florida or Miami. The other ones are possible though. But you never know, its worth applying. Also depends on how much money you are willing to drop on your education.

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 am

StillHerexxx wrote:Based on pure numbers, I would say no chance at Florida or Miami. The other ones are possible though. But you never know, its worth applying. Also depends on how much money you are willing to drop on your education.
Yea, based on pure numbers def. no chance at Florida. As for Miami, well, I'm right above their 75% for GPA and right below their 25% for LSAT. I guess it comes down to writing an awesome PS or just pure luck. Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:54 am

Out at UF and Miami.

Even if you did get in at Miami, it would be at sticker, which definitely isn't worth it.

Also, you should retake.

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 am

Bill Cosby wrote:Out at UF and Miami.

Even if you did get in at Miami, it would be at sticker, which definitely isn't worth it.

Also, you should retake.
Miami would def. be at sticker no doubt. But my options are very limited to the "crappy" schools in Florida and if one had to choose between Miami, Stetson and FIU, all paying sticker, I think the obvious choice would be Miami.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:12 pm

deputamadre wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:Out at UF and Miami.

Also, you should retake.
Miami would def. be at sticker no doubt. But my options are very limited to the "crappy" schools in Florida and if one had to choose between Miami, Stetson and FIU, all paying sticker, I think the obvious choice would be Miami.
The obvious choice would be retake LSAT. Miami or lower at sticker is a great way to ruin yourself financially.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Whatever you do, don't go to Ave Maria. There's all kinds of horror stories on the internets about that school...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Def. not taking the LSAT again. If I had a chance at hitting the top25 then yeah, but I don't see my score increasing much more than it is. So, right now I'm looking at:

Stetson
FIU
Miami (as the ReAaachh)

Apart from Miami, do I have some kind of shot at Stetson and FIU? How good is Stetson for working in Miami?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:47 pm

deputamadre wrote:Def. not taking the LSAT again. If I had a chance at hitting the top25 then yeah, but I don't see my score increasing much more than it is. So, right now I'm looking at:

Stetson
FIU
Miami (as the ReAaachh)

Apart from Miami, do I have some kind of shot at Stetson and FIU? How good is Stetson for working in Miami?
Stetson isn't that good for working in Tampa right now, let alone Miami.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 pm

deputamadre wrote:Def. not taking the LSAT again. If I had a chance at hitting the top25 then yeah, but I don't see my score increasing much more than it is. So, right now I'm looking at:

Stetson
FIU
Miami (as the ReAaachh)

You don't have to hit the top 25, but UF/FSU are FAR better choices for Floridians who want to remain in-state post-grad. Retaking is still TCR.

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:02 pm

I won't take the LSAT again, I'm going to try and get in with what I have now. I just hope I can pull off FIU. If not, well, I might just have to take the LSAT again and apply next cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 pm

deputamadre wrote:I won't take the LSAT again, I'm going to try and get in with what I have now. I just hope I can pull off FIU. If not, well, I might just have to take the LSAT again and apply next cycle.
Is there some reason why you absolutely have to go this year? It really seems like waiting and retaking is the best option. How many times have you taken the LSAT if I may ask?

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I want to go b/c I want to start my life already. This is my 2nd time taking the LSAT.

Do I have a chance at FIU? Seems that we've gotten a little sidetracked.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 pm

deputamadre wrote:I want to go b/c I want to start my life already. This is my 2nd time taking the LSAT.

"Start your life" now, and there's a significant chance you will graduate with no legal job and lots of debt.

Retake one more time. If you do no better and are still set on law school, then go for it, so long as you are aware of the risks.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 pm

deputamadre wrote:I want to go b/c I want to start my life already. This is my 2nd time taking the LSAT.

I would say at this point no because it looks like (from lawschoolnumbers.com) that FIU has been taking candidates with increasingly larger higher LSAT scores. Your GPA looks more than good enough to get you into FIU but you would need to bump up your LSAT by at least 3 or 4 more points. Even if this is your 2nd try at the test, I would say if you want to go to FIU, you are looking at another retake.
Last edited by studebaker07 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

"Start your life" now, and there's a significant chance you will graduate with no legal job and lots of debt.

Retake one more time. If you do no better and are still set on law school, then go for it, so long as you are aware of the risks.
+1. "i want to start me life already." this is a laughable and extremely myopic statement.

deputamadre

New

Post by deputamadre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:22 pm

studebaker07 wrote:

I would say at this point no because it looks like (from lawschoolnumbers.com) that FIU has been taking candidates with increasingly larger LSAT scores. Your GPA looks more than good enough to get you into FIU but you would need to bump up your LSAT by at least 3 or 4 more points. Even if this is your 2nd try at the test, I would say if you want to go to FIU, you are looking at another retake.
Thanks a lot.
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

+1. "i want to start me life already." this is a laughable and extremely myopic statement.
Haha. You just reminded me a friend I used to make fun of in college. Thanks for that.
HeavenWood wrote:

I'm a risk taker. Rarrrrr

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:25 pm

deputamadre wrote: I'm a risk taker. Rarrrrr
Enjoy a high probability of debt peonage.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:26 pm

deputamadre wrote: I'm a risk taker. Rarrrrr
Law school is a risk for almost anyone outside HYS. You don't have to be T6-or-bust, but you should do everything you can to stack the odds in your favor. In your case, the best next step is to retake the LSAT and reapply next year. Increase your score 10 points, and you have a great shot at UF and FSU, which would be decent choices on in-state tuition.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:30 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Cmart050

New

Post by Cmart050 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Couldn't agree more with the above posters. I would have waited another cycle to apply if I had not gotten into FSU, UF, or at least a $24,000/year scholarship from UM. All of the rest are a waste of time.

And not to be a dick (which of course means I'm going to be one), but you have a pretty solid GPA. You're obviously intelligent and work hard to have one like that. I'd be just outside the T14 with that GPA, I hate to see it go to waste at FIU or any of the other trash. I get that you want to start your life, and a random internet commentar isn't going to change your mind.

BUT DEAR GOD I IMPLORE YOU STUDY STUDY STUDY AND TAKE THE TEST AGAIN. I KNOW RETAKE IS A CLICHE RESPONSE BUT THERE IS NOT WAY YOU TRULY GRASP THE REPERCUSSIONS OF $150,00 IN DEBT.

You say you want to start your life already. I'm going to assume that you do not have much going on now, otherwise you wouldn't be in such a hurry to go to law school. Will it hurt you to study for a few months for the June LSAT, kill it, apply early, and get into FSU/UF? Perhaps with money? It is a conquerable test with time and effort, nothing more. If you have an excuse for failure, you will have one when you don't pass the bar. They may as well be of equal importance.

If you really think an extra year will matter compared to the debt/crappy education you will be accumulating by applying now, then good luck, bro. The proportion of importance compared to time needed to study with the LSAT is incredible. Don't waste the opportunity to kill it and set yourself up for success for the next 30 years.

I know this is all over the place, but I've been enjoying drinks at the pool today.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:07 pm

deputamadre wrote:I would like to end up in South Florida, or at least practicing in Florida, so I'll be applying to most Fl law schools.

What are my chances at the following:

Miami
Steston
Florida International
Florida (Reach, for obvious reasons)
Ave Maria

I'm white and bilingual with decent softs. Would like to practice in the Miami area.
No to UM & UF.

Have a shot (though a slim one) at FIU.

You'll get into the rest. Good luck.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:08 pm

By the way, study hard and retake. Even if it means taking a year off. That's what I did.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”