3.71/169

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Camelasky

3.71/169

Postby Camelasky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:52 am

So I just got my LSAT back and to my great surprise I received a 169! I am thrilled with this score as it is 3 points better than any PT I have taken, and well above how I thought I performed (I was hoping for a 165 after getting killed on LG).

I'm an Econ major and Communications minor graduating from a top 50 public undergrad. I'll have anywhere from a 3.7 - 3.73 upon graduating and I'm not going to push my luck by taking the LSAT again. As far as extracurriculars, I've held a steady part time job at my local pizza restaurant for the last 7 years where I've been promoted from lowly dishwasher to assistant manager. I participated in our schoolwide economics debate last year.

I'm most likely trying to take a year off an work, and I'll apply for Fall 2012. I am trying to get into the best school I can, but getting money is very important to me. I'm willing to ED wherever I can to maximize my chances for acceptance and scholarships.

I am definitely applying to the following schools... what are my chances to get into them? And which would I be most likely to get money? Finally, which should I ED to?
U Penn
Chicago
Berkeley
Mich Ann Arbor
UVA
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
BU
U Illinois
U Minnesota
Wisconsin

dpk711

Re: 3.71/169

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:57 am

U Penn (shot if ED)
Chicago (out)
Berkeley (small shot)
Mich Ann Arbor (in if ED)
UVA (in if ED)
Northwestern (shot, in if good WE)
Cornell (in)
Georgetown (in)
UCLA (in)
USC (in)
BU (in w/ $$$)
U Illinois (in w/ serious $$$)
U Minnesota (in w/ serious $$$)
Wisconsin (in w/ serious $$$)

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 am

Out at UVA, regardless of ED... below both medians.

ballpop

Postby ballpop » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:09 am

Don't ED if you want money

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:08 am

yea if money is a factor dont ed. that is pretty much a contract with the school to beg them to let you in and in exchange you will come without them having to worry about finding scholarships for you.

But those are great scores, large to full ride at T30 public schools in midwest (indiana, for sure, illonois maybe, iowa probably, minnesota maybe), accpetance and money to good private respected schools, gw, w&m, emory, and maybe even vandy, USC, UCLA and wustl, a decent shot at a t14 acceptance, gulc, michigan, cornell, or uva with instate.

If you want a t14, and all the hype that goes with it, then try eding and settle for full price, which lots of people would love to have. If t14 isnt a big deal money at wustl or vandy or USC, or bigger money at indiana, or illonois, are also great options. Apply everywhere and see what happens, you should have at least a few good options by the end.

Understand tho. applying late, meaning after the first rounds of applicants in oct/nov mean that admissions everywhere are going to by much more hit or miss then they may have been earlier on, so dont get discouraged and just wait until a few good ones come through, you should have great options still, just maybe not as many great options as you could have had by applying in October or september.

edit: just realized you are going to wait to apply, probably a good choice

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:36 pm

atresia wrote:Out at UVA, regardless of ED... below both medians.

UVA's medians are 170 and 3.85. Is being just barely below both medians (ok, I know that a 3.71 is more than barely below, but hypothetically) that much of a hindrance to ED-ing as opposed to those who apply who apply with a 170 or 171 and a much lower GPA like a 3.3/3.4? I know UVA likes to see 17X, but I thought ED was for those who absolutely do need the bump, but fall just outside of the target.

Camelasky

Postby Camelasky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:46 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
If you want a t14, and all the hype that goes with it, then try eding and settle for full price, which lots of people would love to have. If t14 isnt a big deal money at wustl or vandy or USC, or bigger money at indiana, or illonois, are also great options. Apply everywhere and see what happens, you should have at least a few good options by the end.

Well I've resigned myself to having to ED if I want any shot at Penn, but do you think I could try my luck applying really early at Michigan w/out ED?

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Camelasky wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

Well I've resigned myself to having to ED if I want any shot at Penn, but do you think I could try my luck applying really early at Michigan w/out ED?

I have similar numbers and quite a few people have told me to shoot an application to Michigan (even now). I think you would have a decent shot at Michigan early in the cycle without ED.

Camelasky

Postby Camelasky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm

akili wrote:
Camelasky wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

I have similar numbers and quite a few people have told me to shoot an application to Michigan (even now). I think you would have a decent shot at Michigan early in the cycle without ED.

If I apply first thing next cycle, think I'd have any shot at some money?

akili

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm

Camelasky wrote:
akili wrote:
Camelasky wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:

If I apply first thing next cycle, think I'd have any shot at some money?

I honestly have no idea, I would check LSN for scholly info!

ATR

Postby ATR » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

framboozer wrote:
atresia wrote:Out at UVA, regardless of ED... below both medians.

UVA's medians are 170 and 3.85. Is being just barely below both medians (ok, I know that a 3.71 is more than barely below, but hypothetically) that much of a hindrance to ED-ing as opposed to those who apply who apply with a 170 or 171 and a much lower GPA like a 3.3/3.4? I know UVA likes to see 17X, but I thought ED was for those who absolutely do need the bump, but fall just outside of the target.

Yes, it is a hindrance. Go look at LSN to verify what I've said. 3.86+/167+ and 3.0+/171+ will get you in ED early in the cycle, but if you're below both medians and without a huge soft, then it doesn't look very good for you.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:52 pm

UVA is pretty notorious for needing one thing above the median. I'd doubt there is more than 5% of the student body that is above both medians or below both medians (exluding URM's). Michigan should happen, ED if you want to be sure. Penn likely isn't happening even with ED. If you want money, vandy will throw close to a half ride at you I bet. So, if it were me (which, I have the same EXACT numbers but will be applying next cycle) i'd probably not ED anywhere and see how the money went with cornell, Vandy, and George Washington while hoping to get into Michigan. But, if you absolutely have to have anything above Cornell, you should ED Mich.

melamine

Postby melamine » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

uh, LSN lists UVA as having Medians of 3.68 and 169. Where are you guys getting these numbers from??

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:46 pm

melamine wrote:uh, LSN lists UVA as having Medians of 3.68 and 169. Where are you guys getting these numbers from??

LSN numbers are very outdated
Last edited by birdlaw117 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Hey, we're number twins! :)

I'm praying for an acceptance to Michigan, but would be happy with less. We'll just have to see, I guess.

Return to “What are my chances?”