3.49/Absent/160/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mottainai

3.49/Absent/160/170

Postby mottainai » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm sure this post will get lost among all of the December 2010 test takers who just received their scores, but I'm looking for some advice from all of you wonderful gurus out there.

I'm looking at schools from Penn down to USC. Also, I'm looking at UC Davis/Hastings/Irvine to see if I can get any money. I'm a bit of a splitter, so I figured you guys would be way better than LSP. I also realize I'll probably need to write an addendum.

Penn
Michigan
Virginia
Duke
Northwestern
Cornell
Georgetown
UCLA
Texas
Vandy
USC
Davis
Hastings
Irvine

Thanks!

Edit: This would be for NEXT year's cycle, not this year's.

dpk711

Re: 3.49/Absent/160/170

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 am

Penn (out)
Michigan (WL-out)
Virginia (out)
Duke (out)
Northwestern (in with good WE)
Cornell (shot)
Georgetown (shot)
UCLA (shot)
Texas (shot, in if resident)
Vandy (in)
USC (in)
Davis (in w/ $$$)
Hastings (in w/ $$$)
Irvine (in w/ $$$)

The disadvantage you will have is that you're applying around 2 months late compared to a lot of people. If you want better chances, you might want to apply next cycle.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:06 am

If you want biglaw, you should ED to whichever one of MVP you like best. You might get into Mich regular decision, but probably not the others, and I wouldn't chance it.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I neglected to mention that I do have work experience (2 years in Japan), though I don't know what classifies as good work experience.

Also, like I edited in the first post, this would be for the cycle NEXT year.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 am

mottainai wrote:Thanks for the quick responses guys. I neglected to mention that I do have work experience (2 years in Japan), though I don't know what classifies as good work experience.

Also, like I edited in the first post, this would be for the cycle NEXT year.

Well, in that case I will reevaluate

Penn (out unless ED)
Michigan (shot, ED makes it almost a sure thing)
Virginia (out unless ED)
Duke (WL-out)
Northwestern (good shot, ED would make it a sure thing)
Cornell (in)
Georgetown (in)
UCLA (shot, they like high GPAs)
Texas (shot, they like high GPAs as well)
Vandy (in)
USC (in)
Davis (in w/ $$$)
Hastings (in w/ $$$)
Irvine (in w/ $$$)

I would say ED at one of MVP. Also try to apply early by October, it will give you a small boost.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks again for the advice. It's nice to know that people do respond so quickly on this board. You guys are great!

I have another question: how are splitters usually treated in regards to $$? Anything above the 75th percentile? Also, what school should I look at for a half to full scholly? My GPA probably disqualifies me from any significant $$ in the top 50, but I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 am

mottainai wrote:Thanks again for the advice. It's nice to know that people do respond so quickly on this board. You guys are great!

I have another question: how are splitters usually treated in regards to $$? Anything above the 75th percentile? Also, what school should I look at for a half to full scholly? My GPA probably disqualifies me from any significant $$ in the top 50, but I'm just curious as to what you guys think.

I'm no expert on scholarships, but I am aware that schools like UIUC, WUSTL, and Vandy to a degree give schollies to splitters. I am a splitter myself (3.52/172) but got a $30,000/year scholly from UIUC (which is a top-25 school). Also "Why Essays" give a small boost to scholarship consideration for quite a few schools. But if you want BIGLAW, I would advise to take a T14 at sticker over $$$ of a regional school (unless you are fully committed and willing to practice in that region).

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 am

ED to UVA the day their app becomes available. They will get back to you in two weeks. If they turn you down ED to Michigan.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do something interesting that you can put on your resume or write about before you apply.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

buckilaw wrote:ED to UVA the day their app becomes available. They will get back to you in two weeks. If they turn you down ED to Michigan.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do something interesting that you can put on your resume or write about before you apply.
\

EDing to UVA or Michigan sounds like good advice.

dpk711 wrote:
mottainai wrote:Thanks again for the advice. It's nice to know that people do respond so quickly on this board. You guys are great!

I'm no expert on scholarships, but I am aware that schools like UIUC, WUSTL, and Vandy to a degree give schollies to splitters. I am a splitter myself (3.52/172) but got a $30,000/year scholly from UIUC (which is a top-25 school). Also "Why Essays" give a small boost to scholarship consideration for quite a few schools. But if you want BIGLAW, I would advise to take a T14 at sticker over $$$ of a regional school (unless you are fully committed and willing to practice in that region).

What are the odds that I can get some $$ at USC? I'm well above the 75th for LSAT, but barely above the 25th for GPA. I'm unsure whether I want Biglaw yet, but I'm leaning towards practicing in CA, since I am a resident. But, if I'm paying sticker for USC or UCLA, then I might as well try and ED at UVA or Michigan and pay sticker there.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:35 am

Bump.

Return to “What are my chances?”