156/3.85 (Should go up with new transcript)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
StillHerexxx

156/3.85 (Should go up with new transcript)

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm

I know people will say to retake, and I see the angle, but I am applying this cycle and will see what happens. Also, I am part Brazilian so I mark down hispanic/south american, but I know that isn't URM, but maybe will help some?

I already applied to:
Lewis & Clark
Oregon
Syracuse
U at Buffalo
U of Maine
Iowa

Obviously some are reaches with my LSAT, but what are my chances?

Also, if anyone has any other schools that might be worth applying to with my numbers, let me know. I want to send a couple more out now that I have my score.

justadude55

Re: 156/3.85 (Should go up with new transcript)

Postby justadude55 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I know people will say to retake, and I see the angle, but I am applying this cycle and will see what happens. Also, I am part Brazilian so I mark down hispanic/south american, but I know that isn't URM, but maybe will help some?

I already applied to:
Lewis & Clark
Oregon
Syracuse
U at Buffalo
U of Maine
Iowa

Obviously some are reaches with my LSAT, but what are my chances?

Also, if anyone has any other schools that might be worth applying to with my numbers, let me know. I want to send a couple more out now that I have my score.

if you wrote a diversity, it would help.

i think you're IN at all of them, maybe not Iowa, but probably. Pretty locked, actually. I think you made a mistake not applying to more 40s, 50s and 60s. That's a weird range geographically. Are you a flame?

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 pm

No. I have lived in the same place (small town NY for a long time). I applied to solid schools where I can see myself living and enjoying the areas. I had to clue where to apply without the LSAT score, so I decided to apply to those and then try more once I knew. Thats why the schools are all over the place.

I wrote a small diversity statement explaining the Brazilian heritage, hoping that helps.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:37 am

Haha I have almost the same numbers as you and have applied to Cuse, Buffalo, L&C, and Maine. I have a 3.95 and I also got a 156. I am disappointed in my score, but I really do not want to wait to attend until next year. Sorry I can't offer you any advice-I feel the exact same way as you. Right now my main concern is getting in somewhere with money. I'm retaking in Feb, but I feel it might be too late to help :(

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:57 am

Good luck, just put the hours in and you will do fine. I am hoping I get ito Buffalo. Price is unbeatable.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:00 am

Syracuse it way too expensive to justify sticker, I would add somemore schools and Iowa isn't gonna happen. Retake.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 am

Yeah thats very true. I wrote some semi-colorful scholarship essays for syracuse so I am hoping they like them, if not, fuck them.

Do you have any recommendations for schools with my numbers? At this point, for the most part, I am applying to schools with lower tuitions that will make up for the lack of scholarship money I will receive. Going into undergrad I didn't get money either, but I earned a number of scholarships after my first year. I don't know if law school is like this, but being a hardworker is what I do. I feel like I can prove myself better that way than through the LSAT and hopefully in the end make some scholly money.

I want to see how this cycle goes. If it turns out bad, I will retake in June and do some hard studying for a few months.

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 pm

About the whole Hispanic/South American - the way the choices were written, was it to clarify what type of hispanic, you are? For example, "Hispanic (Central American)" or "Hispanic (Caribbean)" or something along those lines? Or was it basically Hispanic OR South American, because there's plenty of South Americans or aren't hispanic, and Brazilians aren't among them. Latin, sure, but not hispanic. I'm not trying to knock you, just saying to be careful.

With that GPA and that score, there's hope for you to get above 160, for sure. And because you said it yourself, retaking and waiting is an option, you should do just that. Don't sell yourself so short. Best of luck! :wink:

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Thats what trips me up. Brazilian is generally considered South American, not Hispanic. But a number of the applications have Hispanic and then sub-groups that have South American, among others. It's weird and makes it so I don't know how to really mark it. I have been clicking hispanic and then south american if it is there and then other and adding South American if not, and then also, click the caucasian. I have asked a ton of people about it and no one really has an answer. I did write a diversity statement explaining my situation. It's rather strange and involves some deaths and discovering that my great-grandmother immigrated here from Brazil, married into an Italian family, and pretended she was Italian until she and my Grandma died and we found the Brazilian birth certificate. Big cover up.

I was practicing at 160 with a month of prepearing, so I know I can do better if I put a few months into studying, but the real worl sucks. I just graduated and have been working for about a month, and it blows. I have no big law aspirations and no desire to go to Harvard or anywhere like that, so I want to see where I can go with my numbers, and hopefully, get in somewhere I can afford.

What would my chances be at: Pitt, Nova, Temple, Richmond, WVU? I want to apply to a couple of those, but only if I have a chance. No problem GPA wise, but the LSAT is on the low low end for all.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Anyone?

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 pm

Any hope at pitt, temple, or richmond? Any feedback would be great.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:14 am

StillHerexxx wrote:Good luck, just put the hours in and you will do fine. I am hoping I get ito Buffalo. Price is unbeatable.

Same here, good luck to you too. It's a great school and I would be more than happy to go there. My boyfriend is from Buffalo, and I love the city.

alba0321

Postby alba0321 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:23 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Thats what trips me up. Brazilian is generally considered South American, not Hispanic. But a number of the applications have Hispanic and then sub-groups that have South American, among others. It's weird and makes it so I don't know how to really mark it. I have been clicking hispanic and then south american if it is there and then other and adding South American if not, and then also, click the caucasian. I have asked a ton of people about it and no one really has an answer. I did write a diversity statement explaining my situation. It's rather strange and involves some deaths and discovering that my great-grandmother immigrated here from Brazil, married into an Italian family, and pretended she was Italian until she and my Grandma died and we found the Brazilian birth certificate. Big cover up.

I was practicing at 160 with a month of prepearing, so I know I can do better if I put a few months into studying, but the real worl sucks. I just graduated and have been working for about a month, and it blows. I have no big law aspirations and no desire to go to Harvard or anywhere like that, so I want to see where I can go with my numbers, and hopefully, get in somewhere I can afford.

What would my chances be at: Pitt, Nova, Temple, Richmond, WVU? I want to apply to a couple of those, but only if I have a chance. No problem GPA wise, but the LSAT is on the low low end for all.

We have so much in common its getting creepy -- First off, I also am from a small upstate town and go to a SUNY school. Secondly, I am Brazilian/Caucasian and struggled with marking the Hispanic box (I ended up marking both Caucasian and Hispanic, indicating South American when possible). Also, I added on an additional essay discussing my cultural/linguistic heritage. Next, I also applied to a bunch of these schools. I took the October LSAT applied everywhere with that score and then retook in December, scoring ten points higher.

Anyways, your GPA is great and you say its going up...but from what I've read on these forums, a high GPA doesn't usually make up for a low LSAT...

My predictions:

Pitt: likely in
Nova: OUT
Temple: OUT
Richmond: likely in
WVU: IN

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:Any hope at pitt, temple, or richmond? Any feedback would be great.

Not much hope I'm afraid.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Your in at Nova and Temple I think. Especially Nova, and even though temple is better, I think you'll get temple too

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:40 pm

This is an old thread, but for an update, I got into Iowa. Waiting in scholly info now. Still waiting on those schools though.

Return to “What are my chances?”