Chances for $$ at my state school - 3.97/163

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cardinals03

Chances for $$ at my state school - 3.97/163

Postby cardinals03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Hey guys, humor me if you will...I am from TN and will most likely apply to and attend Memphis. Before you get all mad, I have a family firm to join, and wish to stay in my small southern town (remember, a far cry from Boston or New York). Memphis works because I have 2 small children and it is local. The 75% stats are 3.56/157. Should I be a lock for some serious $$? As you might have guessed, not interested in paying sticker here. Thanks guys, TLS has been a godsend for me.

MrSparkle

Re: Chances for $$ at my state school - 3.97/163

Postby MrSparkle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah you probably will get some $$$, but I would still apply to like UCLA or Berkeley, because you could use top acceptances as bargaining chips for more money.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Yeah you probably will get some $$$, but I would still apply to like UCLA or Berkeley, because you could use top acceptances as bargaining chips for more money.

Does bargaining really work?

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 pm

If you sound sincere with real concerns I believe it can help on a case-by-case basis (i.e. you have kids yet you want a secure financial future sounds compelling to me). If you just sound like "Gimme money or I'll take my numbers somewhere else" of course they'd probably deny you.

I have heard it does work from professional advisors outside of TLS, so it isn't just TLS self-perpetuated knowledge.

cardinals03

Postby cardinals03 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I was looking at LSN last night and noticed that UT Knoxville had a lot of $$$ thrown to people with my LSAT and below my GPA. Maybe I should apply there also? I know Memphis is where I want to go (family), but just want to make sure I get some good $$$. Any ideas?

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Yes, bargaining can definitely work. This isn't TN, but this is on Michigan's Top Law Schools Profile:

Michigan awards scholarships of various sizes to about half the class, with an applicant’s LSAT score and GPA being the greatest determinants. The median grant amount in 2009 was $8,800 — a lower number than every Top 14 school except Berkeley. However, Michigan awarded scholarships to 56.6% of the class — the fourth highest percentage among the same set of schools. Dean Zearfoss said that “we also pay attention to what the schools that we compete with give out, and we allow people who don’t make our initial criteria to let us know about those offers and sometimes we try to compete with those.”

So there you have it, straight out of the mouth of a dean.

Return to “What are my chances?”