169/3.73 help!

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

169/3.73 help!

Postby akili » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 pm

So...I never dreamed my score would be this awesome and I have no idea where to apply now!


I have two previous 160s, average softs, average PS, average LORs

Definitely applying to:
UT
Vandy
Cornell
Duke
UWash
...is there anywhere else I should look? I'm looking for reaches, I already applied to a bunch of safeties with my previous score.

I'm not particular on where I go though I'd like to avoid the Midwest and California (too expensive).
Last edited by akili on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
applepiecrust
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Re: 169/3.73

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 pm

Congrats Akili!

It's kind of late in the cycle now, but I'd say blanket the lower T14.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7959
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: 169/3.73

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:47 pm

CONGRATS!!!! So happy that you finally got an awesome score <3

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.73

Postby akili » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:44 am

Would I have a chance at scholarships at Georgetown, Cornell or Vandy? What about GWU? If I wanted DC would UVA be my best shot?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: 169/3.73

Postby dpk711 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:46 am

UT (In with $$$)
Vandy (In)
Cornell (In)
Duke (shot)
UWash (In with some serious $$$)

this would also depend on when you apply as well...

melamine
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: 169/3.73

Postby melamine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:52 am

Hey Aklii - saw you post on the waiting thread a lot. I'm right there too. 169 (first time) and 3.74. Strong softs (i guess *shrug*). I'm blanketing 5-20, but not all. I'm really happy you improved this time around on LSAT. Def Cornell if you like Ithaca since I think you don't need to send the average - just your highest score...?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 169/3.73

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:03 am

dpk711 wrote:UT (In with $$$)
Vandy (In)
Cornell (In)
Duke (shot)
UWash (In with some serious $$$)

this would also depend on when you apply as well...

I think this is way to optimistic. OP has two previous 160s. Just one and it's a different story. With two 160s it is very possible law schools will look at the 169 as an anomaly. That said, OP should definitely apply to these schools plus BU, BC, GW (I would say UCLA and USC, but OP doesn't want to go there. Perhaps still apply for potential scholly leverage though).

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: 169/3.73

Postby akili » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:51 am

Thanks for the responses!

So far I've applied to
UVA (RD) -I know it's a lost cause, but I can't ED without ever having been to Virginia...
Duke
Vandy
Cornell
Georgetown

Is this a good list of target/reaches? Anything I'm missing?

(safeties include BC/BU/GWU/W&M etc...)

Someone in another thread mentioned I should apply to Michigan. I'm hesitant about the Midwest, but Michigan is really really beautiful! Do I have a good shot there?

mikey101
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: 169/3.73

Postby mikey101 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 am

akili wrote:Thanks for the responses!

So far I've applied to
UVA (RD) -I know it's a lost cause, but I can't ED without ever having been to Virginia...
Duke
Vandy
Cornell
Georgetown

Is this a good list of target/reaches? Anything I'm missing?

(safeties include BC/BU/GWU/W&M etc...)

Someone in another thread mentioned I should apply to Michigan. I'm hesitant about the Midwest, but Michigan is really really beautiful! Do I have a good shot there?


You should def also be applying to Michigan, Berkeley, and Northwestern (if you have work experience.)

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: 169/3.73 help!

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:04 am

akili wrote:So...I never dreamed my score would be this awesome and I have no idea where to apply now!


I have two previous 160s, average softs, average PS, average LORs

Definitely applying to:
UT
Vandy
Cornell
Duke
UWash
...is there anywhere else I should look? I'm looking for reaches, I already applied to a bunch of safeties with my previous score.

I'm not particular on where I go though I'd like to avoid the Midwest and California (too expensive).


You're the 'poster child' for the 3x retake. Congrats! G-town, Penn, Michigan, Cornell, Northwestern, Duke should all be good shots I think. I was prob too generous before, and didn't notice you didn't want CA. I think you may have an outside shot at Chicago/ NYU/ Columbia, but maybe not with all the retakes (and COL will be high in those locations).
Last edited by Lawquacious on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cpwilson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: 169/3.73 help!

Postby Cpwilson » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:07 am

Hey akili!

I think you're on the right track. I would throw a few at some other t14s just for the hell of it, but not with a whole lot of hope. With just two scores, you would be in great shape. With three, they will likely average or at least take a much closer look at those two 160s.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest