3.16/ 166....Don't know if to wait or apply now

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cr1stina
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:49 am

3.16/ 166....Don't know if to wait or apply now

Postby cr1stina » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 pm

So I just got my 166 LSAT back and am very happy but my gpa suckkkssss (3.16 on LSDAS). I have been working at an investment bank since graduation and will have one year of work experience if I start law school in the Fall. I barely have any URM boost since I'm Cuban. I studied abroad in college and did a lot of interning but nothing too crazy I would say.

I think thats pretty much it? I'm a Florida resident and have an LSAC fee waiver so I have a list of 30 schools right now. If I should apply now what reaches do you think would be good? I know a couple of schools still have ED open, but not sure if its worth it. Should I wait a year and retake and have that extra year on my resume?

I want to eventually practice in Miami but don't like the thought of being tied down to one particular region because of my law school.

Thanks in advance for responses!

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: 3.16/ 166....Don't know if to wait or apply now

Postby twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 pm

cr1stina wrote:So I just got my 166 LSAT back and am very happy but my gpa suckkkssss (3.16 on LSDAS). I have been working at an investment bank since graduation and will have one year of work experience if I start law school in the Fall. I barely have any URM boost since I'm Cuban. I studied abroad in college and did a lot of interning but nothing too crazy I would say.

I think thats pretty much it? I'm a Florida resident and have an LSAC fee waiver so I have a list of 30 schools right now. If I should apply now what reaches do you think would be good? I know a couple of schools still have ED open, but not sure if its worth it. Should I wait a year and retake and have that extra year on my resume?

I want to eventually practice in Miami but don't like the thought of being tied down to one particular region because of my law school.

Thanks in advance for responses!

with your numbers, you are going to be tied to a region. If you want to be in Miami, you want to got to Miami or Florida or Florida state. All of which will probably let you in with those numbers.

cr1stina
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:49 am

Re: 3.16/ 166....Don't know if to wait or apply now

Postby cr1stina » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Do you think Florida would let me in if I apply now? I'm under their 25% gpa and over there 75% LSAT...I also graduated from there if that makes a difference

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: 3.16/ 166....Don't know if to wait or apply now

Postby twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:22 pm

graduating from there probably won't make a difference. Its only january. its late but its not that late. You can go complete before feb. Lots of people will apply with the dec lsat. From my experience, a splitter doesn't benefit from applying early anyway. The school has targets it wants to hit, and toward the end of the cycle it will turn to the splitter pile and try to adjust their medians. This is how a lot of school treated my app last year, 166, 3.09. However, i did not apply to any of the above mentioned schools and cannot say how they do things.

so apply, its late but not too late.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 3 guests