Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
maggiejeter

Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools

Postby maggiejeter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:08 am

Hi everyone,
I'm really new to the whole law school application process, as I just decided I wanted to go through with applying in October. I took the December LSAT and am still waiting for my score. I had scored a 162 on a practice test, but I left a bunch blank because I wanted to see how I did without guessing. Unfortunately, I was very rushed and challenged by the December LSAT, so I am unsure of how well I was able to do. I have applied to a bunch of schools already even though my file has not been sent because of the missing scores. I wanted to make sure to get the apps in asap because I will not be able to attend most schools without a significant scholarship. I am hoping to receive a merit scholarship covering most of my expenses, so I applied to schools all over the spectrum to cover my bases in case my LSAT score is not as high as I am hoping. I have always been a good test taker, but I am very worried. I have a 3.95 GPA. If anyone can tell me what my chances might be at merit money at some of the schools I have applied to, or suggestions for schools that give a lot of aid, I would really appreciate it. Here is my list so far. I really have no idea where I want to live or practice law, so my list is kind of all over the place.

U Buffalo, Syracuse, UVA, Lewis & Clark, Cardozo, Stetson, Temple, Brooklyn, Hofstra, USD

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Not sure if I'm applying to the right schools

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:17 am

maggiejeter wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm really new to the whole law school application process, as I just decided I wanted to go through with applying in October. I took the December LSAT and am still waiting for my score. I had scored a 162 on a practice test, but I left a bunch blank because I wanted to see how I did without guessing. Unfortunately, I was very rushed and challenged by the December LSAT, so I am unsure of how well I was able to do. I have applied to a bunch of schools already even though my file has not been sent because of the missing scores. I wanted to make sure to get the apps in asap because I will not be able to attend most schools without a significant scholarship. I am hoping to receive a merit scholarship covering most of my expenses, so I applied to schools all over the spectrum to cover my bases in case my LSAT score is not as high as I am hoping. I have always been a good test taker, but I am very worried. I have a 3.95 GPA. If anyone can tell me what my chances might be at merit money at some of the schools I have applied to, or suggestions for schools that give a lot of aid, I would really appreciate it. Here is my list so far. I really have no idea where I want to live or practice law, so my list is kind of all over the place.

U Buffalo, Syracuse, UVA, Lewis & Clark, Cardozo, Stetson, Temple, Brooklyn, Hofstra, USD

You have a killer GPA. If you really want money, and your LSAT is less than 170, it would be really worth it for you to sit out a year, study like mad for the LSAT, and get major money at a top school.

Post again when you get your score, and we can help more.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 am

Thank you for your help. Still waiting on the score, unfortunately.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:15 am

It sounds like you didn't put much time into LSAT studying. Even if you did, it is time to put in more.

Retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. Don't let your haste screw your job prospects down the line as waiting a year now will pay off huge down the road.

maggiejeter

Postby maggiejeter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:48 am

You're right; I didn't, and I wish I had. I went in the same way I went into the SAT, and this test was a lot different. I will be studying my booty off from now on. I really wanted to attend this fall. I'm going to wait and see how it goes, but I am definitely retaking.

Return to “What are my chances?”