PhD Scientist, low undergrad GPA, 750 GMAT NWJD

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
stugots26

Re: PhD Scientist, low undergrad GPA, 750 GMAT NWJD

Postby stugots26 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:16 am

StillHerexxx: A PhD in organic chemistry is not a PhD in English. I wholeheartedly invite you and ThreeYears into my old lab to make some novel organic compounds and characterize them, as well as deduce and publish repeatable experimental results. I'd like to see either one of you safely handle any one of the dozens of mutagens or carcinogens I've repeatedly worked with over the years. My advisor will be more than happy to clear out some lab space for you.
You're talking about work that I did diligently and professionally for years.

I have not and will never criticize anyone else's skill or expertise on here or their knowledge of the law. I don't know any law yet - that's why I'm going to law school. I know organic chemistry. Why MY expertise or MY background is being shit on is beyond my understanding and unacceptable. All I'll say: citing an example (your English PhD professor) that is unlikely to be representative – isn't that one of the common flaws of reasoning in an argument?

And since when am I guaranteed to become a shitty lawyer? My ability to manage projects and adopt highly technical writing skills will serve me well in law school and in preparing patent applications for clients, not to mention my considerable exposure to pharmaceutical patents already. Beyond that, the suggestion of working as a patent agent is not lost on me, and is a terrific way to gain both work experience and association with a big law firm prior to - or even during - law school.

Semperlegal: I've done the research into the pharmaceutical industry. That's just not how it is. Their in-house representation is constantly consulting with the R&D scientists and must understand detailed scientific data.

IAFG: your "probable" data doesn't sound too accurate. There's plenty of large AND small chemical companies churning out libraries of novel, specialty chemicals across the country and they all require intellectual property representation. Niche? Since these companies will always be doing R&D, it currently makes more sense than other legal fields.
Last edited by stugots26 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:23 am

The reason people are "shitting on your background" is because you are a douche. People tried giving you advice and you were pompous and trying to act like your PhD makes you special. It doesn't. It seems like more and more people post on here about how non-traditional they are, but they all sound the same.

stugots26

Postby stugots26 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:44 am

Respectfully, if you look back over the thread, long before I suggested in any way that my PhD makes me special, which I know not to be the case, I had people on here criticizing the degree completely. Or suggesting that I was completely changing careers. I felt I was put on the defensive. The degree itself doesn't make me special - I know that. The specialty, when combined with a law degree, certainly makes me more valuable to certain clients. Every lawyer and law student whom I've talked to in person immediately understands the connection, without fail.

I'm not pompous and I'm not a douche. Do I believe that I should still be penalized for mistakes of ten years ago? No. But it is what it is. Although I am now aware that law school admissions are not logical, whenever I bring up my UGPA factor in the decision process to anyone I know, they're shocked that it would still matter. So the difference between this forum and actual conversations was very jarring. I think, certainly, when it comes to distancing myself from my undergraduate career, not looking at the raw numbers - which I know, in reality, will be how I will be judged - I've proven myself as a scientific professional. Like I said, my graduate experience matured me and I'm a different person than I was ten years ago. Hell, I can't even remember who I was ten years ago.

I do respect the input on here, and I've already registered for the Feb LSAT. Since I already have admits, I'm betting the pressure will be off a little bit. I'll take it, and if the score rises, I'll have a tough decision to make - do I wait it out and try again in June (if the score is still not good enough) or cut my losses and go to a lesser school? I expect that the lower schools will admit me again in the next cycle and perhaps with more money if I have a higher score and still can't make it into NU or UC. Surely, waiting a year, while not ideal as I'm already almost 31 years old, will allow me to complete the patent bar and should be attractive to t14 schools, and I'll be able to continue teaching as an adjunct.

I'll admit that I do have quite a stubborn streak. Shocker, I know, right? I'm hoping that my fellow posters can understand legitimate defensiveness and some disappointment and frustration, and I hope to look back on this thread - will all of you - and laugh about it! I'll definitely willingly take some friendly ribbing for it.

ThreeYears

Postby ThreeYears » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 am

StillHerexxx wrote:The reason people are "shitting on your background" is because you are a douche. People tried giving you advice and you were pompous and trying to act like your PhD makes you special. It doesn't. It seems like more and more people post on here about how non-traditional they are, but they all sound the same.

PhD in hard sciences+JD is special. I never said it isn't. Otherwise I wouldn't try so hard cracking LSAT while I was writing my thesis at the same time. It's an extremely marketable package when the PhD is from reputable school (decoration of publications will certainly be looked favorably upon) and the legal training is from a T-14. My friends who are already practicing remain relatively optimistic about the job prospects for IP lawyers. In the fall issue of the Law Quadrangle (Michigan law quarterly), one of the top advices that they give to current law students to increase the job prospects is to get an advanced degree in hard sciences. This is a good indication of the marketability of PhD (Biology, Chemistry) or MSEE etc.+JDs.

But there are plenty of people who get their PhDs from IVY and public IVYs who also go on to T-14s. Plenty. For them, a good grade is still needed to land a good job ITE. I don't know where did the OP get his PhD, my guess is not a top tier school, otherwise he would have already flashed it to us. His JD will also be from a less-than prestigious place. The competitiveness of his particular combination will be non-existent when compared to the fore-mentioned people.

Return to “What are my chances?”