153/3.41....Any opinions?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jer.smith83

153/3.41....Any opinions?

Postby jer.smith83 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Just seeking some opinions on what types of schools I should be looking at. I've applied to several tier 3 and 4 schools and a few tier 2's. I think I have good softs having worked full time for 5 years as a traveling consultant. I also talk in my personal statement about a rough childhood, drug-addicted family, first in family to go to school, etc...

HowdyYall

Re: 153/3.41....Any opinions?

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm

retakin aint an option?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm

If you're looking for scholarship money or better options than T2/T3 you should retake. You should not even consider T4. Plus, you should research the type of work you want to do and where those companies typically hire. Then, try to align your options with what you find. However, I'm afraid you'll be looking at sticker no matter where you go, and sticker + T2, T3, or T4 = possible financial ruin if you don't have money already saved for school.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm

You'll have a solid chance at T4 and some of the T3 (especially if you're an URM). If I were you I would go buy the powerscore bibles, particularly logic games and logical reasoning, study your ass off and retake for next cycle. Use a study sheet off of this site: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/

jer.smith83

Postby jer.smith83 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 pm

THank you guys for your responses. I'm planning on retaking in February. My goal is to become a DA so I'm not too worried about going to a top-10 school :). Just looking to see if I can get some scholarship money.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 pm

jer.smith83 wrote:THank you guys for your responses. I'm planning on retaking in February. My goal is to become a DA so I'm not too worried about going to a top-10 school :). Just looking to see if I can get some scholarship money.

From my personal experience (157/3.95/URM and softs) if you obtain a little better score, in the T2 you can get good scholarship money. However, the T1 schools I've been accepted to have been at sticker so far, unless I receive an award letter later on.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:44 pm

jer.smith83 wrote:THank you guys for your responses. I'm planning on retaking in February. My goal is to become a DA so I'm not too worried about going to a top-10 school :). Just looking to see if I can get some scholarship money.

Where are you looking to practice? All jobs now are harder to get and obtaining a DA position in a major city can be even more difficult (know a couple of people in NYC and Chicago trying to do this from middle T2's with tons of debt and they can't find anything). Definitely retake though because sticker at the schools you can get into right now will would be a really bad move. I only have a 3.5/160 which got me some money (not too onerous class rank stipulations) from T2 and T3 schools which would make my debt 30k with some savings. So retake for sure and hopefully you will be looking at better options.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:

From my personal experience (157/3.95/URM and softs) if you obtain a little better score, in the T2 you can get good scholarship money. However, the T1 schools I've been accepted to have been at sticker so far, unless I receive an award letter later on.

Check OP's profile. He's not URM. His GPA is a far cry from yours therefore your experience is irrelevant to him.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:01 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Check OP's profile. He's not URM. His GPA is a far cry from yours therefore your experience is irrelevant to him.

Maybe I should say I am kind of a URM (Cuban), which I didn't think counted that much. Maybe it counts more than I think. Just wanted to suggest that perhaps with good softs, such as the OP's work experience, and a better LSAT, money might come into the picture.

TJISMYHERO

Postby TJISMYHERO » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
TJISMYHERO wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:

Maybe I should say I am kind of a URM (Cuban), which I didn't think counted that much. Maybe it counts more than I think. Just wanted to suggest that perhaps with good softs, such as the OP's work experience, and a better LSAT, money might come into the picture.

I agree that with a higher LSAT OP will likely receive money from the T3, if he raises it into the 160+ range he'll get money from the T2.

Return to “What are my chances?”