somewhat new to this and need some guidance

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

somewhat new to this and need some guidance

Postby jmachu2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 pm

I've posted on here before, but a few factors have changed in my application.

stats are as follows:
molecular and cellular biology major at big 10 school
volunteer work

it now looks like I will be taking a year off to work, so I will have 1 year of work experience to add.

My gpa took a huge hit this past semester with biochemistry and my research project has ended after a year of work.

Where should I apply in T14? Also, what kind of numbers do you need for U of Chicago- says that, but I have a feeling you need better numbers than given...

Thanks in advance

Re: somewhat new to this and need some guidance

Postby kkklick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Chicago's numbers are under-reported in my opinion. Although you seem to be right at the median in terms of GPA and LSAT, for the next year really try to do something unique that makes you stand out. Don't just go do the same old work at a law firm with so and so etc., won't get you any special attention in the top 14. Apply early, you have a decent shot except HYS.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:55 pm

You should apply to all T14 schools besides HYS. With your GPA, your changes at Chicago get a lot better with a 171, but you still have a shot with a 170, esp considering your major.

Spend time on these sites:

Here is an idea of how to use hourumd (ignore the older application cycles, which are more favorable than what your chances currently are):

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:37 pm

Also, most recently updated Chicago stats:
LSAT 25/50/75: 168/171/172
GPA 25/50/75: 3.59/3.78/3.87

Both medians is a nice, although not absolutely necessary, place to be.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm surprised no one has given the standard suggestion: Retake.
Usually I think that's a stupid thing to say, but in this case, you're planning to take a year off anyway. I know you've already got a 170, which is awesome, but why not build on that. You've performed well once already. Take the skills and experience you have from that 170 performance and dominate the June 2011 LSAT. If I wasn't so old already I would consider taking another year and trying to improve my score.

Return to “What are my chances?”