Graduating from Medical School in May, LSAT=165ish

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TatteredDignity

Re: Graduating from Medical School in May, LSAT=165ish

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't know anything about teh internets, and even I can tell this is a flame. I thought the people around here were generally less responsive to such obvious trolling.

NZA

Postby NZA » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:02 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I don't know anything about teh internets, and even I can tell this is a flame. I thought the people around here were generally less responsive to such obvious trolling.

+1

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Nonok wrote:
OGR3 wrote:3. MD + MBA + JD = Loves school, hates work.

That's what I thought

+1

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Med school isn't that hard. It's a bunch of memorization. PhD in Physics is hard.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:16 am

Desert Fox wrote:Med school isn't that hard. It's a bunch of memorization. PhD in Physics is hard.

Whether this is a troll or not this statement is retarded. Med school is a bitch. They consume every hour of your life and constantly make you jump through hoops, and when you finally graduate they slap you in the face by making you complete a residency.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 am

Are you a Nigerian prince with a messed up checkbook as well?

TheTallOne0602

Postby TheTallOne0602 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:35 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:I know everyone is going to disagree with me on this because Top Law School Forums is just about "retaking" the LSAT. But if you have a MD and you are applying to law school I am pretty sure that will count for more than just a few LSAT points. Especially if you apply to more "holistic" schools. Last year according to this site Yale took someone with a 159. Medical school is a thousand times harder than law school and it opens up a lot of doors, so some of the top schools will probably look highly on that.

Also, all US MD schools are prestigious. As long as you get into a US school you are set

I have a engineering degree and a masters in a medical science and I have been accepted to schools that Law school predictor and most people on this forum claimed I would have no chance. And with a decent amount of money. I really think that certain schools actually do evaluate the applicant.

You are pretty rare, not a lot of people with a MD actually apply to law school

The 159 was a super, super legacy admit I believe. And not All US med schools are prestigious by any stretch of the imagination. And while I have not been to law school or med school, I know people who have been to both, and the notion that med school is a thousand times harder than med school is... outlandish.

However. With all of that being said, I still think going to med school will be a significant factor. By the standards of TLS, my softs were pathetic. TLS was very wrong.

Finally, though, why not just do well on the LSAT? As has often been mentioned on here, that is the best way to invest one's time as far as admissions go...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:35 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Med school isn't that hard. It's a bunch of memorization. PhD in Physics is hard.

Whether this is a troll or not this statement is retarded. Med school is a bitch. They consume every hour of your life and constantly make you jump through hoops, and when you finally graduate they slap you in the face by making you complete a residency.

Bullshit this is striver glamorization. A friend claims his undergrad in EE was harder conceptually than Med school.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:55 am

This has to be a flame right?

Or did you just do this poorly in Med school and are looking for more school to not have to face reality?

I cant believe how nice most have been, lets be real a MD+JD+MBA is a waste of money and a ton of time. You could do everything you want with an MD and work experience. Why waste your time and money?

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:07 am

The 159 was a super, super legacy admit I believe. And not All US med schools are prestigious by any stretch of the imagination. And while I have not been to law school or med school, I know people who have been to both, and the notion that med school is a thousand times harder than med school is... outlandish.

However. With all of that being said, I still think going to med school will be a significant factor. By the standards of TLS, my softs were pathetic. TLS was very wrong.

Finally, though, why not just do well on the LSAT? As has often been mentioned on here, that is the best way to invest one's time as far as admissions go...[/quote]

I agree with everything but the bolded section. I was literally steps away from going to medical school and I can assure you if you ask anyone who is actually applying to medical school(not a freshman claiming to be pre-med) they will tell you that if you get into a US MD you go to it. Doesn't matter which one. With the exception of a couple of med school directed at all black students, the US MD's are extremely selective and becoming accredited is not like law school.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:

Bullshit this is striver glamorization. A friend claims his undergrad in EE was harder conceptually than Med school.

Wow a friend said that? So, it must be true. Dude I was president of a Pre-Med engineering organization and almost all of them continue on the path(31 over 3 years) and I can assure they will all disagree with you. When comparing difficulty med school out-weights law school and most other grad programs by far

bringbackfirefly

Postby bringbackfirefly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:31 am

Gatorbull84 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Bullshit this is striver glamorization. A friend claims his undergrad in EE was harder conceptually than Med school.

Wow a friend said that? So, it must be true. Dude I was president of a Pre-Med engineering organization and almost all of them continue on the path(31 over 3 years) and I can assure they will all disagree with you. When comparing difficulty med school out-weights law school and most other grad programs by far

Difficulty in med school: LOTS OF SHIT to memorize and regurgitate, though the material is not difficult in isolation. It's just that there are not enough hours in day.
Difficulty in technical PhD programs (I mostly know about math PhD work, but I believe this is true for physics, etc.): Conceptually demanding, with horrible theoretical blocks that you'll struggle with for months. And the material IS difficult in isolation.

Just different types of difficulty.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:06 pm

professional witness

No need for a law degree here. If you really want to do this... you should probably practice medicine for a while and specialize in a field commonly relevant to some subset of tort law (spine injuries, for example).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:18 pm

How much credibility will you have as a professional witness if you don't, and have never, practice medicine ?

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:

This is pretty credited.

Med school is just a ton of work/memorization/a lot of material, and med students are the biggest gunners who never stop working. Grad degrees in the hard sciences are more intellectually challenging.

Also, if this guy got into a med school with a 3.5 in biology, he must go to a med school in Puerto Rico or something. A 3.5, especially in biology, is shit for med school.
Last edited by cornellbeez on Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:10 pm

<3 how TT is still going and OP is long gone after that shameful showing.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:

I'm sure it takes more effort, but in the end you just do a lot of memorizing. You can't memorize physics you actually have to learn and understand it.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:20 pm

cornellbeez wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Gatorbull84 wrote:

This is pretty credited.

Med school is just a ton of work/memorization/a lot of material, and med students are the biggest gunners who never stop working. Grad degrees in the hard sciences are more intellectually challenging.

Also, if this guy got into a med school with a 3.5 in biology, he must go to a med school in Puerto Rico or something. A 3.5, especially in biology, is shit for med school.

Especially if he got "straight A's" on his gen eds like he said. Which must mean he did even worse in his science courses.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm sure it takes more effort, but in the end you just do a lot of memorizing. You can't memorize physics you actually have to learn and understand it.

I just had a talk with a Princeton alum over lunch today about his math PhD program. There are no work, no grads, no written exams, the only test for the whole program is the oral exam/defense. Apparently if you didn't fully grasp what you are researching you are screwed. That is more intimidating than work and tests. Imagine you put 4-5 years of your life into a topic and they decide you didn't understand it enough.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm sure it takes more effort, but in the end you just do a lot of memorizing. You can't memorize physics you actually have to learn and understand it.

I just had a talk with a Princeton alum over lunch today about his math PhD program. There are no work, no grads, no written exams, the only test for the whole program is the oral exam/defense. Apparently if you didn't fully grasp what you are researching you are screwed. That is more intimidating than work and tests. Imagine you put 4-5 years of your life into a topic and they decide you didn't understand it enough.

Most Phd programs in science and math have quals which are a series of tests that happen after a year or two. Basically they weed out anyone not trying or not smart enough. If you fail they give you an MS and show you the door.

I'd hate to not even have that. Wow.

Med School is definitely challenging, and takes a ton of hard work. In fact I don't think I'd handle the program very well myself. However it's not intellectually intensive as most people think.

The premed requirements are only a semester of calc and a semester of stats. They clearly aren't doing any real science.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:26 pm

The MD might be the rare case of a soft that is actually worth an LSAT point or 2. You are going to have to have a very solid and specific PS. I would encourage you to look at Penn if you can bring your score into the high 160s, they are really hardcore into interdiciplinary stuff. However, the fact that you bailed on medicine leads me to believe that you don't really know what you want to do. Before taking on ANOTHER 200k in debt, it might be wortwhile to take some time off and think seriously about the issue. Not the least of your concerns might be "how will I pay off over half a million dollars in debt?"

lshamlet

Postby lshamlet » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Veyron wrote:The MD might be the rare case of a soft that is actually worth an LSAT point or 2. You are going to have to have a very solid and specific PS. I would encourage you to look at Penn if you can bring your score into the high 160s, they are really hardcore into interdiciplinary stuff. However, the fact that you bailed on medicine leads me to believe that you don't really know what you want to do. Before taking on ANOTHER 200k in debt, it might be wortwhile to take some time off and think seriously about the issue. Not the least of your concerns might be "how will I pay off over half a million dollars in debt?"

He won't have debt - he said mommy and daddy will be able to pay for everything for him. he was even asking how large a donation his parents would have to make to get him admitted to a T10!

Return to “What are my chances?”