what are my chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
$1.99

Re: what are my chances

Postby $1.99 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:27 pm

i am sorry brah but being average and median with scores should not make anyone feel better in this era. the era of being fine being a C student is over. if you are a C student, or average, then you are partially challenged. i would not want someone who is such a slacker on the lsat to represent my interests as a lawyer.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

$1.99 wrote:i am sorry brah but being average and median with scores should not make anyone feel better in this era. the era of being fine being a C student is over. if you are a C student, or average, then you are partially challenged. i would not want someone who is such a slacker on the lsat to represent my interests as a lawyer.

He wrote it once so he's a slacker? That's a bit too far, maybe uninformed is a better choice of word. If the OP didn't know before, he sure knows now that an LSAT score can be improved, if he doesn't want to even TRY to improve, then I would agree with your assesment, but lets not judge his character as of yet.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 pm

$1.99 wrote:i am sorry brah but being average and median with scores should not make anyone feel better in this era. the era of being fine being a C student is over. if you are a C student, or average, then you are partially challenged. i would not want someone who is such a slacker on the lsat to represent my interests as a lawyer.

No, but the fact is at least 1 out of 2 students will ALWAYS be at median or below. So by your logic at least 1 out of 2 people will NOT feel better. If the population is normally distributed, the median should be close to the mode too. I wouldn't call anyone falling within 1 standard deviation of the median "partially challenged", that is just plain silly.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:42 pm

you and i have both taken the lsat philly. we both know that to score in the 150s, you have to be incompetent.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:46 pm

$1.99 wrote:to score in the 150s, you have to be incompetent.

This

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:48 pm

$1.99 wrote:you and i have both taken the lsat philly. we both know that to score in the 150s, you have to be incompetent.

LSAT as an aptitude test should be correlated to IQ's no? I would refrain calling the majority of our population "mentally incompetent". While I get your point, I also am not naive enough to expect most people to score a whole lot better.

Also you have to remember, LSAT score is meaning less because it is normalized. So even if everyone improve 10 points on the raw score, the bottom 2/3 score will probably not change, they will just adjust the scale. The test is designed to normalize your aptitude to a bell curve then scaled to 20-80 numerically. So if you are average intelligence, you are supposed to score 150-160.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Nonok wrote:

This

You don't quite understand the point of aptitude test and LSAT scoring, read above. Like I said, if you want to call 150 million people incompetent, then you are right.

Nonok

Postby Nonok » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Nonok wrote:

This

You don't quite understand the point of aptitude test and LSAT scoring, read above. Like I said, if you want to call 150 million people incompetent, then you are right.

It's not perfect. There are so many people who take the LSAT without studying at all. They account for a lot of the lower scores. Most people who take the test didn't study enough. I think almost anyone can break 160 with enough prep, money, and determination.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Nonok wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Nonok wrote:

This

It's not perfect. There are so many people who take the LSAT without studying at all. They account for a lot of the lower scores. Most people who take the test didn't study enough. I think almost anyone can break 160 with enough prep, money, and determination.

So then how can you say OP is incompetent. He may be incompetent if he is refusing to prepare adequately, but if not he's just one of the others who didn't prepare enough which makes him irresponsible but nothing more.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Nonok wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Nonok wrote:

This

You are missing my point, if more people prepped, then it will just require more raw score to score the same scaled score.

It's almost like saying with enough prep, money and determination, everyone can have an IQ of 110 or above. It's silly. I am sure everyone can improve, but arbitrarily setting a "scaled" score as a goal is silly because what it takes to achieve that score can be adjusted quite easily by LSAC. If the median shifted 5-10 points north all of a sudden then they have failed as test makers.

The reason to have experimental sections is to see how well the future questions perform. If more people are to study more, prep more and perform better, they will just increase the test difficulty and/or adjust the conversion. I think they have done this over the past few years, that's why most people score better on prep tests that are a few years old.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:13 pm

Flame. I agree with 1.99 and Nonok on this. Anyone with a brain can break 160 with proper studying.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Ragged wrote:Flame. I agree with 1.99 and Nonok on this. Anyone with a brain can break 160 with proper studying.

I guess it's nice to be smart?

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:22 pm

OP, a ton of these schools are privates that cost 30k plus. The public schools are a better bet if you get in, hopefully one where you are a resident/can become one. If you get into some of the schools listed you would more than likely be paying sticker price. If you absolutely cannot retake at least try and get into a less expensive public school. With your numbers and the schools you listed, the loan debt will be absolutely staggering and you will struggle.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Ragged wrote:Flame. I agree with 1.99 and Nonok on this. Anyone with a brain can break 160 with proper studying.

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with being average-and it certainly doesn't make you incompetent-but it does set you up for failure when paired against superior competition (either from within your school or from the number of schools ranked above yours).

This is one of the major differences between law school admissions and med school admissions: if you're the picture of mediocrity, there will be plenty of law schools that will open their doors to you, yet you will be completely shut out of any reputable med school.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:30 pm

beachbum wrote:

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with being average-and it certainly doesn't make you incompetent-but it does set you up for failure when paired against superior competition (either from within your school or from the number of schools ranked above yours).

This is one of the major differences between law school admissions and med school admissions: if you're the picture of mediocrity, there will be plenty of law schools that will open their doors to you, yet you will be completely shut out of any reputable med school.

That's because medical care is not and cannot be a market economy. So QA is not market driven/based.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote:

That's because medical care is not and cannot be a market economy. So QA is not market driven/based.

Isn't market based medical care what we have now?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Ragged wrote:Isn't market based medical care what we have now?

Not quite since you are dependent upon insurance to pay for care.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Woudn't that still be considered market, though? Its just risk diversification.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I guess it's nice to be smart?

If having higher reasoning skills is being smart then I guess.

glewz

Postby glewz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:25 pm

OP, ignore a lot of these rude comments - r6 is right. You have a good chance at nearly all the schools you are applying to.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 am

glewz wrote:OP, ignore a lot of these rude comments - r6 is right. You have a good chance at nearly all the schools you are applying to.

thanks. These morons are the reason why plenty of middle applicants dont post on tls forums.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:39 am

legal_eagle wrote:
glewz wrote:OP, ignore a lot of these rude comments - r6 is right. You have a good chance at nearly all the schools you are applying to.

thanks. These morons are the reason why plenty of middle applicants dont post on tls forums.

I am a high-achieving/high-scoring middle/lower applicant so I will continue to raise my voice for the non-elite and non-prestigious. :mrgreen:

Edited for poor choice of word.

DoctorSurf

Postby DoctorSurf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:43 am

Ragged wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Or if you are on a capitated insurance plan like Humana Gold Plus...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 am

DoctorSurf wrote:
Ragged wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Or if you are on a capitated insurance plan like Humana Gold Plus...

I am not sure about that plan. But I feel that many subscribers have no selectivity in providers. My choices are very limited in network and I practically have no input on where I can obtain care. It may disguise as market but from my perspective it is all central managed. The QA is done by the insurers and network rather than consumers. Law is consumer driven for the most part.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm

legal_eagle wrote:gpa is currently a 3.24 but after my fall grades are counted it'll be a 3.28-3.30
LSAT grade of 153 (I did my best took a course ect) Retaking is NOT an option
Business management major
Strong LOR with a solid personal statement

Im applying to

So what are my chances?

I am in at both Phoenix and Florida Coastal with a 153 LSAT, so you have a good chance.

Again, you have a good chance at all the schools, and best of luck on your application, and hopefully you hear back from the schools soon, and it is good news.
For Valpariso, Quinnipiac, Roger Williams, and Penn State you have a good chance.

Return to “What are my chances?”