what are my chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
legal_eagle

what are my chances

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:40 pm

gpa is currently a 3.24 but after my fall grades are counted it'll be a 3.28-3.30
LSAT grade of 153 (I did my best took a course ect) Retaking is NOT an option
Business management major
Strong LOR with a solid personal statement

Im applying to

So what are my chances?
Last edited by legal_eagle on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kkklick

Re: what are my chances

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Looking good for Valporaiso.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:48 pm

As well Cooley, OP what was it about the LSAT that you couldn't improve much the second time?

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 pm

I never pt'd higher than my 153 and i dedicated alot of time to it and to top it off, everything went perfect on test day.

Do you think P/T Work experience as an undergrad would help?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 pm

legal_eagle wrote:I never pt'd higher than my 153 and i dedicated alot of time to it and to top it off, everything went perfect on test day.

Do you think P/T Work experience as an undergrad would help?

In regards to the LSAT that's fine, if you feel like you can't improve then that's that. In terms of work experience, a lot of undergrads have it. I've seen people admitted with a lot lower, I think you should be okay. Just work hard on things regarding your application that you have control over.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 pm

thanks for the re-assurance. I'm gonna be sending in my apps tomorrow. I cant believe that its already time for that.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Not to be a dick, but are you sure you're up to this right now? Your LSAT is very average, and you refuse to try it again with a different strategy. Your GPA is poor, which doesn't speak well for your chances of landing at the top of your law school class- which will be absolutely necessary to make these schools anything else than a terrible financial investment.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Retake or don't go to law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:58 pm

Bro the schools that you can get into with a 153/3.3 aren't worth going to from a debt to jobs ratio unless you have guaranteed employment lined up after. Seriously. Find out how you can improve and retake.

You ever heard that phrase around the 'nets "Go to Valpo, eat Alpo?" That could just as easily apply to most of the schools you realistically have a shot at on this list.

If you want to know your chances, LSN and LSP should be pretty okay for you, since you're a pretty regular applicant.

In sum, retake or don't go. Best of luck bro.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:05 pm

Yeah im sure. i made a bunch of mistakes for freshman and sophomore year. Since then i've gotten it together.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:21 pm

retake. even if you somehow managed to get into, say, stetson, that is not worth sticker price at all.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:28 pm

I said Retaking isn't an option. What I have is what i need to work with.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 pm

legal_eagle wrote:I said Retaking isn't an option. What I have is what i need to work with.

Don't go?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 pm

rad law wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:I said Retaking isn't an option. What I have is what i need to work with.

Don't go?

+1. If retaking isn't an option, law school isn't an option. Right now you have nothing law schools want; since you can't do much about your GPA, the only way you can position yourself to succeed is by boosting that LSAT score.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:32 am

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:

Don't go?

+1. If retaking isn't an option, law school isn't an option. Right now you have nothing law schools want; since you can't do much about your GPA, the only way you can position yourself to succeed is by boosting that LSAT score.

And it is eminently boostable with studying and practice. The LSAT forum has a ton of great advice/support.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 am

the phrase "i tried my best" is overused all the time. i guarantee that you did not try your best. you are just being a slacker and accepting the situation that your LSAT score is something a worm could accomplish. stop being a nancy and go buy the preptests ranging from 45-61. go solve every single one of those problems. get a tutor or something to understand why you dont understand some of those problems. if you still can't understand them moderately, find a group to study with in your city. if you still can't get in the 160's after all this, you need to give up on law school because it shows that you suck at reading, reasoning, and being competent in logic.

i promise i have never met anyone who has failed to reach the 160s after doing all that. just face the facts, you are a lazy sack of poo.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 am

Why can't you retake? Give us a legitimate reason other than you not wanting to wait a year. Right now you just look like an idiot.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:

Why can't you retake? Give us a legitimate reason other than you not wanting to wait a year. Right now you just look like an idiot.

haha. this sums up TLS so perfectly.

OP: if you want to go, you've got a shot at some of the schools you listed. Whether or not you should, well that's where TLS comes in with its patented unsolicited advice (recall this is the "what are my chances" thread, not a "berate me for wanting to go" thread). And, according to packer, you better "give us a legitimate reason" hahaha

I lol'd so hard when I read packer's post. well done sir.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:57 am

megaTTTron wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:

haha. this sums up TLS so perfectly.

OP: if you want to go, you've got a shot at some of the schools you listed. Whether or not you should, well that's where TLS comes in with its patented unsolicited advice (recall this is the "what are my chances" thread, not a "berate me for wanting to go" thread). And, according to packer, you better "give us a legitimate reason" hahaha

I lol'd so hard when I read packer's post. well done sir.

Haha thank you. I'll be a good cog in the TLS machine.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:38 am

Why is everyone being so harsh on the OP? There could be a million reasons the OP doesn't want to take the LSAT again, it is a grueling exam that can discourage the best of us. He took it after taking a course and that is what he got, if he doesn't want to write it again that doesn't mean he shouldn't go to law school. I understand people are trying to help him by preventing him from potentially climbing into debt with no job prospects, but that's the OP's decision to make. He's not asking whether he should go to law school or not, he's asking which schools on his list he has a chance at.

Legal_eagle, I would suggest perhaps on your own time reading some tips on TLS on how to improve your LSAT. Take the time to try to better understand things and just for fun take a PT and see how you do. If you improve a ton (157+) it may be worth it to retake. Msg me if you want any help on how to study or any advice.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:33 pm

kkklick wrote:Why is everyone being so harsh on the OP? There could be a million reasons the OP doesn't want to take the LSAT again, it is a grueling exam that can discourage the best of us. He took it after taking a course and that is what he got, if he doesn't want to write it again that doesn't mean he shouldn't go to law school. I understand people are trying to help him by preventing him from potentially climbing into debt with no job prospects, but that's the OP's decision to make. He's not asking whether he should go to law school or not, he's asking which schools on his list he has a chance at.

Haha said immediately before you offer retake advice? C'mon, I am helping out the original poster way more by telling him or her to retake than I would be by giving him or her the admission chances for the Thomas M. Cooley Law School or the Roger Williams University School of Law. Just sayin'...

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
kkklick wrote:Why is everyone being so harsh on the OP? There could be a million reasons the OP doesn't want to take the LSAT again, it is a grueling exam that can discourage the best of us. He took it after taking a course and that is what he got, if he doesn't want to write it again that doesn't mean he shouldn't go to law school. I understand people are trying to help him by preventing him from potentially climbing into debt with no job prospects, but that's the OP's decision to make. He's not asking whether he should go to law school or not, he's asking which schools on his list he has a chance at.

Haha said immediately before you offer retake advice? C'mon, I am helping out the original poster way more by telling him or her to retake than I would be by giving him or her the admission chances for the Thomas M. Cooley Law School or the Roger Williams University School of Law. Just sayin'...

I know I offered retake advice, but that was IF he changed his mind and wanted to, I'm not saying he HAS to retake. I'm pretty sure if someone is applying to Colley they are aware of the reputation of the school and future employment prospects. Maybe this is the route OP wants to take?

framboozer

Postby framboozer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Legal_eagle, I would suggest perhaps on your own time reading some tips on TLS on how to improve your LSAT. Take the time to try to better understand things and just for fun take a PT and see how you do. If you improve a ton (157+) it may be worth it to retake. Msg me if you want any help on how to study or any advice.

If he's dead set on law school and will go to any school that accepts him, yea that's his business. I do, however, think that TLS does a far better service to the uninformed than many other law school websites out there that encourage anyone who is still struggling to break the median to go. Most people are really uninformed about what law school requires. And honestly, we do need those people so that they can keep scoring below median so that we can keep scoring above median. But if a 153 really is the best he can do and nothing went wrong on test day, that really is a warning sign that he's not really aware of what he's getting into. He's got a low GPA, so the chances of him not failing out of Cooley his with a third of his class are slim. A low GPA with a low LSAT that are presented as the best someone can do really is rather damning. Law school will rip someone like that to shreds, and if they do make it through, they're gonna have to work hard to get firms to give them the time of day, especially given the draconian curve that T4 law schools have. As was already stated, some of this can be forgiven if one already has a job in law guaranteed post-graduation.

I don't think a re-take would help someone with this attitude or in this position. I think you're already pretty screwed.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:12 pm

kkklick wrote:I'm pretty sure if someone is applying to Colley they are aware of the reputation of the school and future employment prospects. Maybe this is the route OP wants to take?

OP's a masochist?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:24 pm

OP is at the MEDIAN for all LSAT takers, and about at the median for all GPAs. Hitting both medians means OP is a an above average student/law applicant. What's wrong with that? A little over half of all LSAC applicants matriculated last cycle while quite a bit more were accepted. OP has a decent chance at some of these schools, and there are probably 10000 OPs out there. Let's not let TLS get to our heads here.

That said, maybe it isn't worth it to pay sticker to go to any schools that OP might get into, but that is OP's choice. OP wants help in knowing what schools he can get into, not whether or not he should go. I know we are all trying to be helpful and all, but different people have to make different choices. And not everyone have the same options/choices.

Return to “What are my chances?”