late cycle applicant with good stats

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
parsi

late cycle applicant with good stats

Postby parsi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:34 am

Last edited by parsi on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophia.olive

Re: late cycle applicant with good stats

Postby sophia.olive » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:03 am

parsi wrote:Hey guys

this is my second post in the what are my chances forum but i decided to be a bit more specific

i have a 171 LSAT, 3.9 GPA, strong PS with 2 strong letters. I worked all throughout the last 3 years of my undergraduate career, about 20-30 hrs a week

I applied late, however. my apps were sent in on 12/22

I applied to Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Cornell, UPenn, michigan, duke, georgetown, UCLA, USC

I know applying late in the cycle really screwed me over...I really want to go to either NYU or Berkeley

Is there anything I can do specifically to press the issue with these schools? Maybe call the admissions office and ask for an interview or stress my desire to attend?

I think you still have a great shot at most of those schools. I think your late ap. will hurt you at harvard and NYU the most because of the decision dates. I would wait before you try to reach out. Perhaps you can send a loci to any school that waitlists you.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:06 am

You'll still get into a few of those schools. You did screw yourself out of some money though. Applying early makes a big difference in scholarships. Go work for a year and reapply with work experience on your resume. Save some money, bolster your application, wait for the economy to rebound a bit. Also, I'd say NYU or Berkeley is a lock regardless of when you applied. And maybe go for a visit at NYU.

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:14 am

deadhipsters wrote:You'll still get into a few of those schools. You did screw yourself out of some money though. Applying early makes a big difference in scholarships. Go work for a year and reapply with work experience on your resume. Save some money, bolster your application, wait for the economy to rebound a bit. Also, I'd say NYU or Berkeley is a lock regardless of when you applied. And maybe go for a visit at NYU.

I dont think i can wait till next year because my GPA will go down after this year lol :oops:

I dont care too much about money....Though my parents and I have very little of it now, I dont see it as a thing to hold me back

I have yet to receive any sort of confirmation email from NYU or Berkeley...thought I did receive some from about 5 other schools.. How long do they usually take to get that out to you?

You truly think im in at NYU and Cal? On both of those personal statements I went ahead and attached an additional 1/2~1 page to my PS stating specifically why I want to go to those schools

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:15 am

sophia.olive wrote:I think you still have a great shot at most of those schools. I think your late ap. will hurt you at harvard and NYU the most because of the decision dates. I would wait before you try to reach out. Perhaps you can send a loci to any school that waitlists you.

Whats a loci? I didnt attach any Why X statements because none of the schools really asked for them...but can I add them to my app later?

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:29 am

Sorry for 3 posts in a row but I just calculated my Law school GPA and its actually a 3.93...

Does the GPA get calculated automatically by the schools/LSAC? Can I check it anywhere?

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:30 am

Loci = letter of continued interest... Send a few to your WLs

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:04 am

Waiting a year is not always a good answer. I worked for two and in that time medians changed quite a bit. When I was in college I was at median for Cornell's LSAT, but no longer. I also qualified for a scholarship from UT, but not anymore. I got amazing WE, but when schools go by numbers to determine scholarships, like UT, I get screwed.

Just apply now and hope you get into berkeley ( which I think you will )

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:07 am

You have a good shot at a few of those schools still plenty of seats to be had don't worry too much about it unless you get waitlisted everywhere.

deadhipsters

Postby deadhipsters » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:27 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Waiting a year is not always a good answer. I worked for two and in that time medians changed quite a bit. When I was in college I was at median for Cornell's LSAT, but no longer. I also qualified for a scholarship from UT, but not anymore. I got amazing WE, but when schools go by numbers to determine scholarships, like UT, I get screwed.

Just apply now and hope you get into berkeley ( which I think you will )

That is true, but his GPA is close to a 4.0. Just saying if he gets rejected from his top choices, and in at some of the lower ranked schools, I wouldn't pay sticker at USC or UCLA with those stats. I do think he will probably get into a lot of those schools on his list, though.

parsi

Postby parsi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:52 pm

The associate dean of admissions at ucla was at my school a couple months prior and he told me I should get in the range of 30-40k a year and he gave me his card and told me to call him to strike a deal.

Ucla is my main safety though. I'm in southern california so hopefully that helps mr for cal
Last edited by parsi on Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:01 pm

I don't think that you are a lock for Berkeley. Plenty of applicants get rejected with your numbers as indicated by lawschool numbers.com. Cal has only a 10% admit rate. I do, nevertheless, agree that you would be a very strong candidate at Cal & would be a likely admit at NYU.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:09 pm

I think you will be fine! ;)

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:10 pm

I'm at NYU and I have a friend there who didn't apply until the deadline (Feb 1), so you're certainly not totally locked out.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I think Cal's offices were closed by the 22nd, so that's why you didn't receive a response from them. As far as getting into Boalt... who knows with Cal- I'd be far more concerned about the strength of your work experience, extra-curriculars, personal statement and how diverse your academic/life experience has been than I would be about when you get your application off. You can go check it out at LSN, but there are plenty of people with absolutely stellar #s who get dinged at dates all over the cycle.

As far as NYU, I think you would be pretty safe there. It's more of a #s school, and I think your numbers are similar to what they like to see.

I don't think late December is too late for applications. You have to remember, there are still December LSAT takers that will be applying in early January, and there are plenty of seats still open.

Best of luck.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:27 pm

Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Duke, NYU, Cornell, Georgetown, UCLA & USC are likely to admit you.

parsi

Postby parsi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:44 am

UR at Berkeley already...

Here we go!

Return to “What are my chances?”