GPA jump from Fall grades...more schools

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NYCbound35

GPA jump from Fall grades...more schools

Postby NYCbound35 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

My GPA jumped up from 2.9 to 3.0 after Fall grades became official, and I was wondering if this gives me any chance at some reach schools. I have a 169 on my LSAT. I applied to most schools between Wash U and Fordham, in addition to Cornell. I am also a Bio major at a top undergrad if that matters any. Does this bump give me any chance at Georgetown, UVA, Vandy, or anywhere else in the top 20? I would be sending out these additional applications around January 7 (when LSAC receives my updated transcript).

Thanks a lot guys.

dextermorgan

Re: GPA jump from Fall grades...more schools

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 pm

NYCbound35 wrote:My GPA jumped up from 2.9 to 3.0 after Fall grades became official, and I was wondering if this gives me any chance at some reach schools. I have a 169 on my LSAT. I applied to most schools between Wash U and Fordham, in addition to Cornell. I am also a Bio major at a top undergrad if that matters any. Does this bump give me any chance at Georgetown, UVA, Vandy, or anywhere else in the top 20? I would be sending out these additional applications around January 7 (when LSAC receives my updated transcript).

Thanks a lot guys.

Still a long shot.

IBRetake.

jt2075

Postby jt2075 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I just stumbled upon this post and as someone formerly in your position (currently a 3L wondering where the heck my fall grades are) I wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

I agree that it's a pretty far long shot, but I say shell out the cash for the extra applications to the T20 schools you're genuinely interested in, because a 169 GPA might at least get you on a couple wait lists. Once you have your name on some wait lists, send letters of continued interest describing (1) why you're desperate to go to XYZ school and more importantly (2) why you think you'd be a good fit there (be specific --certain departments, programs, etc that match your experience or goals--don't just tell them how great they are), PLUS additional letters of recommendation. For a low GPA, you can also use this as an opportunity to highlight the classes you did well in, why you did well in them, and why you think you'd perform well at XYZ school. Don't focus on negatives though.

A lot of this application stuff is arbitrary, but be sincere and diligent and you might get noticed. Set yourself apart. Keep in contact with the schools --people drop out up to the day of orientation, in some cases, and you want to be at the top of the admissions officer's list when he's looking to fill that last-minute spot. Remember that their law school ranking is based in part on how many people accept the offers they extend. So if let them know you're a sure shot, your mutual desperation for high rankings might serve you both well.

Anyway, I rocked the wait list game and ended up getting into a few T20s, including my top choice. My GPA was a little higher, but my LSAT was slightly lower. Welcome to the rat race and good luck.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Only possibility, and it is really slim, is probably Michigan or Cornell. GULC/UVa aren't going to take a splitter who doesn't have at least a 170.

You should retake/reapply considering only 1 more point on your LSAT would change a lot of things.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:48 pm

bk1 wrote:Only possibility, and it is really slim, is probably Michigan or Cornell. GULC/UVa aren't going to take a splitter who doesn't have at least a 170.

You should retake/reapply considering only 1 more point on your LSAT would change a lot of things.

This. If a 169 is the absolute best you can do, you might be able to land some splitter friendly schools in the 15-30 range like Wash U, UIUC, Minnesota, etc. But T-14 is a longshot, unless URM of course.

Return to “What are my chances?”