170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
joeljohnson
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby joeljohnson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 am

I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale
Harvard
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
UT - Austin
Vanderbilt
Illinois

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby FuManChusco » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Softs won't help. Out at HY. Shot at CN. In everywhere else unless you get a YP or UVA/UT rejects you for being OOS.

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby 123kl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:47 pm

I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Softs can help, but your softs are very underwhelming. Double majors and honors students are more common than not.

Also, softs are very unlikely to help and generally apply to very borderline candidates.
Last edited by bk1 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby arism87 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 pm

bk1 wrote:Softs cannot help



Kind of extreme even by TLS standards, no?

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:51 pm

123kl wrote:I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.


softs may have an impact but a major isn't a soft factor and Honors college isn't all that impressive in the grand scheme of things not to take anything away from OP's accomplishments... I think your GPA probably played a bigger role in the decision than most of your softs
Last edited by BlueDiamond on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:51 pm

arism87 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Softs cannot help



Kind of extreme even by TLS standards, no?


lol that was atypo freudian slip

User avatar
BrownBears09
Posts: 330
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby BrownBears09 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:54 pm

joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale
Harvard
NYU
Chicago
Penn
Michigan
Virginia
Cornell
Georgetown
UT - Austin
Vanderbilt
Illinois


Are double majors even considered softs? Our deans discouraged obtaining them.

"Honors College" is pretty weak as well, because it is exclusive to only some schools (I know mine didn't have one.)

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby arism87 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
arism87 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Softs cannot help



Kind of extreme even by TLS standards, no?


lol that was atypo freudian slip


Bahaha. But seriously OP, your numbers are well matched and LSN/LSP will be pretty accurate for you..

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:02 pm

joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale - out
Harvard - out
NYU - WL
Chicago - very possible in, but I wouldn't expect $
Penn - In if you wrote a good Why Penn, all other things being solid
Michigan - In
Virginia - Who knows? I have no clue how to predict what UVA does
Cornell - WL/In
Georgetown - In with $
UT - Austin - In with $$
Vanderbilt - In with $$
Illinois - In with $$$


Why don't you try Duke with your numbers?

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby Ragged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:05 pm

joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale - OUT
Harvard - OUT
NYU - OUT
Chicago - OUT
Penn - IN in the rest given you write goods Why X essays.
Michigan
Virginia
Cornell - Probably significant scholarships starting from here
Georgetown
UT - Austin
Vanderbilt
Illinois





123kl wrote:I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.


:shock: Your softs must have been legendary. I was sure that non-URM 169 was barred from H. Did you save some orphans from some fire?

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby 123kl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 pm

Ragged wrote:
joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale - OUT
Harvard - OUT
NYU - OUT
Chicago - OUT
Penn - IN in the rest given you write goods Why X essays.
Michigan
Virginia
Cornell - Probably significant scholarships starting from here
Georgetown
UT - Austin
Vanderbilt
Illinois






123kl wrote:I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.


:shock: Your softs must have been legendary. I was sure that non-URM 169 was barred from H. Did you save some orphans from some fire?


hahahahaha, unfortunately, no. I did have a really solid bundle of softs, but nothing completely game-changing.

User avatar
joeljohnson
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby joeljohnson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:10 pm

123kl wrote:I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.


What softs did you have?

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby 123kl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:13 pm

joeljohnson wrote:
123kl wrote:I got into Harvard two days ago with 169/4.03. Non-URM. Softs absolutely helped, but I had quite a bit more going for me than you have mentioned in your post.


What softs did you have?


PM'ed

User avatar
kkklick
Posts: 1021
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby kkklick » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm

The application process is chaos.

User avatar
apollo13
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby apollo13 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:19 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale - out
Harvard - out
NYU - WL
Chicago - very possible in, but I wouldn't expect $
Penn - In if you wrote a good Why Penn, all other things being solid
Michigan - In
Virginia - Who knows? I have no clue how to predict what UVA does
Cornell - WL/In
Georgetown - In with $
UT - Austin - In with $$
Vanderbilt - In with $$
Illinois - In with $$$


Why don't you try Duke with your numbers?


LOL... 170 and 3.87 and Cornell with WL/IN? what planet are you from? hows the fucking weather there? and the OP could also expect some $ at Penn and Michigan given the fact that OP applies early with solid essays.
OP, where do you want to practice? Are you looking for BigLaw? is it BigLaw or Bust?? Or Ain't matter as long as you break T-14??
TITCTR: Your numbers are solid enough to get you into bottom-tier of T-14, but still shaky to break into CCN/Berks/UVA with your credentials. (but one of these guys might accept you, cuz sometimes they could be unpredictable) If truly want to increase the chance of reducing your debt or trailblaze to HYS, then retake, retake. wait till next year, do Early to UVA, and hurl some apps to top 10's.

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby weejonbu » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:35 am

Image

Retake.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:55 am

apollo13 wrote:LOL... 170 and 3.87 and Cornell with WL/IN? what planet are you from? hows the fucking weather there? and the OP could also expect some $ at Penn and Michigan given the fact that OP applies early with solid essays.
OP, where do you want to practice? Are you looking for BigLaw? is it BigLaw or Bust?? Or Ain't matter as long as you break T-14??
TITCTR: Your numbers are solid enough to get you into bottom-tier of T-14, but still shaky to break into CCN/Berks/UVA with your credentials. (but one of these guys might accept you, cuz sometimes they could be unpredictable) If truly want to increase the chance of reducing your debt or trailblaze to HYS, then retake, retake. wait till next year, do Early to UVA, and hurl some apps to top 10's.

Uh, okay, there's no need to be so contentious. First of all, I wasn't intending in any way that the OP take my predictions as gospel, nor that he/she should or shouldn't apply anywhere based on my suggestions. Second of all, the reason why I predicted a WL at Cornell is that they encountered a huge applications spike last cycle, and seem to be balking at numbers that seem to look "too safe." Understandably, these "suspect" numbers are generally higher than OP's, but one person on these boards got deferred with a 170, 3.9x, and could reasonably expect an acceptance after proving his interest in the school.

I understand that these boards are as much a place to be frank and honest as they are a place to provide support; however, posters like you clearly misinterpret the former as an excuse to belittle any poster who doesn't agree with you. I could just as easily go through these forums posting LOL's and making nasty comments, but I don't.

User avatar
sanjola
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: 170/3.87 -- Soft Factors

Postby sanjola » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:15 pm

apollo13 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
joeljohnson wrote:I have a 170/3.87. During undergrad, I was a double major, Philosophy and FIlm, and in the Honors College. Do these Soft factors help me? What are my chances for admission and scholarship money at the following schools:

Yale - out
Harvard - out
NYU - WL
Chicago - very possible in, but I wouldn't expect $
Penn - In if you wrote a good Why Penn, all other things being solid
Michigan - In
Virginia - Who knows? I have no clue how to predict what UVA does
Cornell - WL/In
Georgetown - In with $
UT - Austin - In with $$
Vanderbilt - In with $$
Illinois - In with $$$




Why don't you try Duke with your numbers?


LOL... 170 and 3.87 and Cornell with WL/IN? what planet are you from? hows the fucking weather there? and the OP could also expect some $ at Penn and Michigan given the fact that OP applies early with solid essays.
OP, where do you want to practice? Are you looking for BigLaw? is it BigLaw or Bust?? Or Ain't matter as long as you break T-14??
TITCTR: Your numbers are solid enough to get you into bottom-tier of T-14, but still shaky to break into CCN/Berks/UVA with your credentials. (but one of these guys might accept you, cuz sometimes they could be unpredictable) If truly want to increase the chance of reducing your debt or trailblaze to HYS, then retake, retake. wait till next year, do Early to UVA, and hurl some apps to top 10's.


Don't be a douche lord.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful and 3 guests