Admissions Interview?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Pioneer2006

Admissions Interview?

Postby Pioneer2006 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:16 am

Anyone out there think it would be possible to get some type of an interview with someone in the admissions office at a school? Would it help my chances at all? I haven't sent in an app yet (waiting for Feb. scores -- Late I know, so save the gloom and doom of applying after November bs).

Lawquacious

Re: Admissions Interview?

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:25 am

At some schools (such as NU and Harvard) I think interviews (either in person or by phone) are required or at least standard.. but that obviously isn't the case at most schools. If the school doesn't have this as standard procedure, I think there are yet other schools (U of Texas) that explicitly discuss the topic on their web pages in terms of setting up an optional interview. However, most schools probably do not explicitly address the topic of optional interviews including how you should address the topic with the school. I think setting up a time to talk to someone or somehow managing to create a slightly personal relationship (not anything inappropriate lol) with someone at the school during the admissions process can help. If you know you tend to interview well, I would contact the school and see what they suggest about this. Also, if the school has a 'preview day' that occurs prior to them deciding on your application that may be a good time to meet with a school rep in person and make a good impression. In my case, I dialogued a fair amount with one of the admission reps at a school I had applied to (including negotiating with that person) and it seemed to help the process along having someone I was able to develop a bit of rapport with. However, this can obviously be a tricky area, and I imagine that in many cases it is best to just submit the app and let things be.

Pioneer2006

Re: Admissions Interview?

Postby Pioneer2006 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Lawquacious wrote:At some schools (such as NU and Harvard) I think interviews (either in person or by phone) are required or at least standard.. but that obviously isn't the case at most schools. If the school doesn't have this as standard procedure, I think there are yet other schools (U of Texas) that explicitly discuss the topic on their web pages in terms of setting up an optional interview. However, most schools probably do not explicitly address the topic of optional interviews including how you should address the topic with the school. I think setting up a time to talk to someone or somehow managing to create a slightly personal relationship (not anything inappropriate lol) with someone at the school during the admissions process can help. If you know you tend to interview well, I would contact the school and see what they suggest about this. Also, if the school has a 'preview day' that occurs prior to them deciding on your application that may be a good time to meet with a school rep in person and make a good impression. In my case, I dialogued a fair amount with one of the admission reps at a school I had applied to (including negotiating with that person) and it seemed to help the process along having someone I was able to develop a bit of rapport with. However, this can obviously be a tricky area, and I imagine that in many cases it is best to just submit the app and let things be.

Cool! Thanks for the advice!

Return to “What are my chances?”