Science Major looking for your perspective

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
educatedguest

Science Major looking for your perspective

Postby educatedguest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:08 pm

So all my friends are applying to med schools but I have decided to pursue IP law (plans subject to change)
I know my resume is more about softs so I'm giving a lot of info but I appreciate any insight

The basics
June LSAT-165
December LSAT-??? (games I tell ya)
GPA 3.5-3.6
"Public Ivy" for what its worth
4 years, 2 degrees
BS-Natural Science Major: Biology
BS-Natural Resources Major: Economics
Assume 75th percentile PS and Letters of Rec

Wildcards
Upward grade trend (not inflated by easy classes I promise...)
Freshman ~3.25
Soph ~3.45
Junior ~3.89
Senior remains to be seen (who knows considering its finals time and I'm on TLS)
1st generation college student
Volunteer work
ESL tutor
Visiting hospice patients
Work experience
Product Development Intern at a Biotech company-2 years
DNA delivery techs, helped develop, launch, and patent 2 new products
Kaplan Teacher (sorry, the money is good)
Interviewed today for an IP/Licensing internship for next semester (here's hoping)
Whatever I do in my year off

Reaches- Berkeley & Stanford
what do I need to ask for on the unknown LSAT score if I should come across the devil?
Fits (?): George Washington, Boston University
Safety: IIT-Kent

What are my chances on these places? Specifically, are the fits actually fits for me?
Any other suggestions for schools I should look more into?
What can I do to bolster my resume during the year(s) off?

PinkCow

Re: Science Major looking for your perspective

Postby PinkCow » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I'd say you have a decent shot at GW and Boston. Unless you do something amazing (like 172+ on December LSAT), Berkley and Stanford aren't even worth the app fee.

Kent's definitely a safety. You could shoot higher. If you're set on IP, maybe UC Davis. With your numbers, you could have a chance at WUSTL too maybe.

educatedguest

Postby educatedguest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:24 pm

chip3341 wrote:I'd say you have a decent shot at GW and Boston. Unless you do something amazing (like 172+ on December LSAT), Berkley and Stanford aren't even worth the app fee.

Kent's definitely a safety. You could shoot higher. If you're set on IP, maybe UC Davis. With your numbers, you could have a chance at WUSTL too maybe.

Thanks!

Retake note: My PTs were averaging 170-172 (168 low and 175 high). I dunno if I hit the average on December, all I remember is games and how terrible they were for me.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:39 am

educatedguest wrote:
chip3341 wrote:I'd say you have a decent shot at GW and Boston. Unless you do something amazing (like 172+ on December LSAT), Berkley and Stanford aren't even worth the app fee.

Thanks!

Retake note: My PTs were averaging 170-172 (168 low and 175 high). I dunno if I hit the average on December, all I remember is games and how terrible they were for me.

Stained glass and conferences I assume? The curve will likely be -14, so if you are good at LR and RC you could still hit 172. But yea boston is a lock.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:10 pm

You're now pretty late in the cycle for applying. I would wait and see what your Dec. score is, then if it is not at leat 170, retake, get the 170, apply early next year, and get into Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke and Georgetown with some cash.

educatedguest

Postby educatedguest » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:34 pm

kkklick wrote:
educatedguest wrote:

Thanks!

Stained glass and conferences I assume? The curve will likely be -14, so if you are good at LR and RC you could still hit 172. But yea boston is a lock.

I appreciate your thoughts! When reminded about RC I didn't think it went too bad, but its usually my worst section. LR has traditionally been good to me with somewhere between -1 and -6 across both the norm. But no real baseline for how to feel about the December.

educatedguest

Postby educatedguest » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:35 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:You're now pretty late in the cycle for applying. I would wait and see what your Dec. score is, then if it is not at leat 170, retake, get the 170, apply early next year, and get into Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke and Georgetown with some cash.

Ok cool. Any of those would be amazing, especially with cash!
I am going to take at least a year off and get some "real world" experience.
Thanks for your advice!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Oh I missed the "taking a year off" part. Yeah, if you do that, you have at least 2 chances to retake and still apply way early.
1. Get Good LSAT
2. Get Good WE
3. Apply way early
4. ?
5. Profit

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:54 pm

If taking a year off or getting a 172 on Dec LSAT is an option, obviously those are your best bets.
If not, theres a TON of options between BU and Kent.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:23 am

educatedguest wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:You're now pretty late in the cycle for applying. I would wait and see what your Dec. score is, then if it is not at leat 170, retake, get the 170, apply early next year, and get into Michigan, Penn, UVA, Duke and Georgetown with some cash.

Ok cool. Any of those would be amazing, especially with cash!
I am going to take at least a year off and get some "real world" experience.
Thanks for your advice!

I agree that a 170+ and applying early can definitely push you into some of those schools. However, your GPA is a little low for them, so 170 isn't necessarily sufficient for cash. However, to be completely honest about your reaches, your GPA is very low for Berkeley and almost a sure out at Stanford, even if you raise it to a 3.7. That said, good luck next cycle!

Plan2008

Postby Plan2008 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:35 am

If you popped a 170+ and you sell the ESL stuff correctly I think you have solid shots at Georgetown, Northwestern, UC Davis, USC, UTexas, UCLA, UVA. I bet you land on at least half that crew.

I'd say Cal is shooting the moon due to grades, but I'd paper up Stanford, Chicago, Columbia, Duke, Penn, Cornell.

You know, I have been in the workforce for awhile (sales) and the best performers are almost always science people--they're problem solvers. If you show them you can write and pitch that, it might work.

Return to “What are my chances?”