Majoring in 4 degrees simulteanously=low gpa compensation ?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noctali7

Majoring in 4 degrees simulteanously=low gpa compensation ?

Postby noctali7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 pm

As I already mentioned it before in two other topics, I'm currently majoring in 4 degrees (bachelor of Japanese studies, bachelor of Chinese and double bachelor of French law/Anglo-American law) in two different French universities.

My question is the following one : could it compensate an average lower (foreign) gpa - about 3.1, or even constitute a real advantage ?

Moreover, if I realize that one or two of those degrees weaken my average grade in the end, can I "forget" to mention them in my resume and not transmit my transcripts to the LSAC ?

What do you guys think about that ?

calilaw

Re: Majoring 4 degrees at the same time = low gpa compensation ?

Postby calilaw » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:07 pm

No. You cannot "forget" to mention them/not send in the transcripts.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:08 pm

calilaw wrote:No. You cannot "forget" to mention them/not send in the transcripts.

this

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:08 pm

calilaw wrote:No. You cannot "forget" to mention them/not send in the transcripts.

+1

Will all the degrees be granted at the same time? LSAC typically only counts the first UG degree, but I'm not sure how it would work if you're taking them concurrently.

My advice: Call LSAC. They will actually know the answer as opposed to us guessing. And never, ever, intentionally leave anything out of your law school applications. It would be terrible to drop 150k and get C&F pwnd.

Ragged

Re: Majoring in 4 degrees simulteanously=low gpa compensation ?

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:10 pm

For international applicants GPA doesn't matter.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Last edited by dissonance1848 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:12 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:If you forget to send in the transcripts, then when you send your stuff, LSAC will mention that your transcript file is incomplete to the schools. Since anything not sent in would not matter for calculating GPA ranges, yes, you could do that and take the chance that schools care more about rankings than integritiy. I know someone who did not send in community college transcripts because they would have dropped his GPA by over 1.0. It said incomplete when LSAC sent it to the schools, and no law schools cared. They accpeted him based off the numbers he gave them.

i am 100% opposed to suggesting OP do this.... i worked hard in college to keep my GPA up... OP's fault for not doing the same, if the goal was law school. BTW, starting off your law career by doing something completely unethical seems pretty fucking stupid if you ask me

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:14 pm

I would suspect that having a bunch of degrees would be a soft--something they'll consider and possibly be impressed by, but not something that overrides your final GPA in any significant way. Like having a graduate degree.

"Forgetting" to mention degrees and not submitting transcripts is a really bad idea. I don't know how likely they are to find out, but if they did, your chances at law school would be completely shot.

BUT: can you manage it so you graduate first in whichever one you'll have the highest GPA? Subsequent undergrad degrees, even from the same institution, don't add/subtract to your LSDAS GPA.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I would suspect that having a bunch of degrees would be a soft--something they'll consider and possibly be impressed by, but not something that overrides your final GPA in any significant way. Like having a graduate degree.

"Forgetting" to mention degrees and not submitting transcripts is a really bad idea. I don't know how likely they are to find out, but if they did, your chances at law school would be completely shot.

BUT: can you manage it so you graduate first in whichever one you'll have the highest GPA? Subsequent undergrad degrees, even from the same institution, don't add/subtract to your LSDAS GPA.

yeah, but that won't work, because OP will still have the already-completed courses on the transcript... they'll just basically be considered electives (or possibly minors) instead of being considered "Major coursework"

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Having multiple degrees is barely a soft. 4.0 in dance at local community college trumps 3.8 in physics, cs and math triple major at Stanford.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

glitter178 wrote:i am 100% opposed to suggesting OP do this.... i worked hard in college to keep my GPA up... OP's fault for not doing the same, if the goal was law school. BTW, starting off your law career by doing something completely unethical seems pretty fucking stupid if you ask me

There is no point in getting so uppity about it and it's not like you're the moral authority on what is or is not ethical. Further:

Ragged wrote:For international applicants GPA doesn't matter.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm

glitter178 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I would suspect that having a bunch of degrees would be a soft--something they'll consider and possibly be impressed by, but not something that overrides your final GPA in any significant way. Like having a graduate degree.

yeah, but that won't work, because OP will still have the already-completed courses on the transcript... they'll just basically be considered electives (or possibly minors) instead of being considered "Major coursework"

D'oh. You're right.

noctali7

Postby noctali7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Some precisions : I'm only 20, I will (supposedly) be granted those degrees at the same time and moreover I took a year off in Taiwan to study Chinese and work there as a French and English teacher, even though I only have little WE so far (one month in French Minister of Economy and three month working for National Health System during summer vacation, both as temporary employee).
And if GPA doesn't matter that much for foreigners what really does ?

PS : it is just a ridiculous idea not mentioning their existence, just asking around

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:22 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Having multiple degrees is barely a soft. 4.0 in dance at local community college trumps 3.8 in physics, cs and math triple major at Stanford.

Not sure about dance at a CC trumping triple math major at Stanford, but having 4 bachelor's degrees really makes little sense to me, and to be honest I think it could come across negatively to adcomms. The impression is that this guy/girl didn't really know what they wanted to study, so s/he kept trying more and more stuff. I mean, I think a bachelor's and then a master's in one of those four areas would look a lot better than four bachelor's degrees-- at least it appears you have some area of focus.

It's great to study all those things and be interested in them, but getting a bachelor's in all four? Just seems pretty random...

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:24 pm

paratactical wrote:
glitter178 wrote:i am 100% opposed to suggesting OP do this.... i worked hard in college to keep my GPA up... OP's fault for not doing the same, if the goal was law school. BTW, starting off your law career by doing something completely unethical seems pretty fucking stupid if you ask me

There is no point in getting so uppity about it and it's not like you're the moral authority on what is or is not ethical. Further:

i really, really want to fight with you and tell you to STFU, but i'm too tired

Return to “What are my chances?”