Chances with a funky degree

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
boiseman

Chances with a funky degree

Postby boiseman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:46 am

Hello all,
This is my first post so be gentle. I'm finishing a BS: In Real Estate Studies (not a common degree) and am curios how to play this. Do I make a big deal that its a rare area of study, or do I down play it? Would you guess that this will increase/decrease my application responses. I would like to practice some sort of Tax or Real Estate law so I think it is relevant, just not sure what an admission committee will think. Thanks for the help.

Also, because I have seen on most posts people asking for numbers, GPA 3.45 LSAT 165-170 (practice test taking in June 11)

ATR

Re: Chances with a funky degree

Postby ATR » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:49 am

Makes no difference. Hopefully you have something better to market to admission committees than your UG major.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am

I can only speak to personal exp. And so far I do not believe my equally as odd major has hurt me.. I've got into some lsp considers and all my admits/strong considers -- HTH

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 am

A real estate major is not really that uncommon if your college has a business school. And your major makes absolutely no difference anyhow.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:27 am

If it changed your life dramatically -- ie you got your license at 18 and sold x # of properties during your freshman year -- then use it. If not, talking about a real estate major will put admissions to sleep.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:36 am

It can be serve as the basis for an interesting anecdote in your PS to explain your interest in becoming a lawyer.

Beyond that, it probably won't matter.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:37 am

Real Estate is not rare. HTH

Your chances depend entirely on where in/outside the 165-170 range you score, cuz every point on the LSAT makes a big difference, let alone 5.

I will tell you that with that GPA you are out of HYS unless URM. Come back when you get that LSAT score.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 am

I had a music education degree. You want to talk about degrees not represented much in law school? And, despite that, I was admitted exactly where my numbers said I would be admitted.

The only effect my degree had was that getting people to stop talking about their band days during OCI sometimes proved difficult. No one cares. You either have a (very small handful) of relevant degrees, or you have "a piece of paper that let you apply to law school."

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 am

Ragged wrote:Real Estate is not rare. HTH

Your chances depend entirely on where in/outside the 165-170 range you score, cuz every point on the LSAT makes a big difference, let alone 5.

I will tell you that with that GPA you are out of HYS unless URM. Come back when you get that LSAT score.

krad

Postby krad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:24 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I had a music education degree. You want to talk about degrees not represented much in law school? And, despite that, I was admitted exactly where my numbers said I would be admitted.

The only effect my degree had was that getting people to stop talking about their band days during OCI sometimes proved difficult. No one cares. You either have a (very small handful) of relevant degrees, or you have "a piece of paper that let you apply to law school."

lol!!

and this.

Return to “What are my chances?”